Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2020 10:05:17 PM EDT
Just starting to set up a helmet rig for NVG use.  It’s been a while since I’ve used NVGs,  and I’m not up to date with the latest gear for the helmet.

What I have so far is a ACH Full helmet which I plan on purchasing a Dual NVG set up in the near future.  

The Qs....
What Velcro pattern will work on a textured ACH helmet in order to place strobe and counter weight system?
What counter weight system to go with?
What rail system above the ears to go with to place a IR flashlight (moonbeam) on?
What IR flash light and adapter will work with the above ear rail?

Thank you guys for checking out the thread.

Completed 6/16, Now time to buy Mawl and NVGs
Attachment Attached File

VariArc arrived
SureFire X300V Vampire WeaponLight | White & IR  Output Arrived
AGILITE BRIdge TACTICAL HELMET Arrived
OPS-CORE ACH-ARC RAILS - FOLIAGE GREEN Arrived
WILCOX L4 G37 MOUNT SYSTEM Arrived
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just starting to set up a helmet rig for NVG use.  It’s been a while since I’ve used NVGs,  and I’m not up to date with the latest gear for the helmet.

What I have so far is a ACH Full helmet which I plan on purchasing a pvs14 thin filmed white pho’s for in the near future.  

The Qs....
What Velcro pattern will work on a textured ACH helmet in order to place strobe and counter weight system?
What rail system above the ears to go with to place a IR flashlight on?

View Quote

I would think any sticky Velcro would work, but I would look at a Airframe or ops core Velcro kit.
Check out EOG, I have some of those and TNVC Mohawk and they’re all good quality. Just depends on if you want something simple or not.
I think Ops Core rails would work, and Revision(Galvion) makes a rail kit for ACH cut helmets as well.
I like my Streamlight sidewinder 2, the Princeton Tec lights are good quality as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the response.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
do your self a favor and buy either the emerson or lancer helmet from amazon as a lighter weight bumpish helmet for the times you dont need a ballistic helmet. Having a light weight helmet to just throw on to walk in the woods is nice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What I have so far is a ACH Full helmet which I plan on purchasing a pvs14 thin filmed white pho’s for in the near future.  

The Qs....
What rail system above the ears to go with to place a IR flashlight (moonbeam) on?

View Quote

1)The cheapest route would be 2" Velcro from a fabric or crafts store
2)Since you're running a ballistic helmet you really don't need a counter weight for a PVS14, but of you want something to put spare batteries on a rifle round velcro card will work well 5.00-7.00 or a Cry Precision counter weight battery pouch for 20.00 is a good option.
3)If you're strapped for cash airsoft ARC rails w/accessories are built pretty rugged and can be bought for @ 15.00. I used a few to throw on my kids CVC helmet when he used to play airsoft.
4)The rail kit usually comes with a couple of picatinny rails. As for light mounts it depends on what kind of light are you mounting. Thyrm makes a Variarc that mounts to ARC rail and rotates 360 degrees for straight ahead, to umbrella light, to task light. If you pair it with a dual illumination white/IR light like a SureFire V1 or Inforce WMLX makes for a great helmet option.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I think an ACH is a pretty decent way to start for a good, basic NVG setup.  Yeah, there are lighter options out there, but for the price, the ACH has a lot going for it and there are tons of accessories for it.

My only recommendations along with the other posts are to not worry so much about a counterweight for the PVS14 when mated with the ACH.  A good suspension and pad setup with negate any requirement for a counterweight--PVS14's have been worn now for over 20 years by the US military without any counterweights.  

A properly fitted and adjusted ACH will feel better, and any weight you can keep off your head is always benficial.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You didn't ask about pads, but, spend on the money on the 4D pads. They are well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an ACH setup for NVG's (among others) but, I'm going to try to steer you away from that. To make the ACH "as good as" you will spend at least 75% of what you would spend on buying a normal bump helmet or maybe even more like 125%

First, you need a good bracket/shroud, you can get a rhino for $20,(not worth it) but minimum I'd get a Norotos Universal for $50 or a Wilcox for $60-100.

Next, you'll need good pads - the 4D are really good, I have the team Wendy epic from before "the drama" but assume you will spend $75-100 here. The original "improved" ACH pads are awful and get worse once you need to support NVG's out front.

You will also need an improved chin strap. The original is just not good enough to stabilize an NVG. Ops-core X or H-nape is good and available as surplus for $30-50 but the best one IMO is the team Wendy cam-fit, around $100(I dont really care about "the drama" the cam-fit is so superior it feels good on my head) it has the boa style dial in the back. Galvion has a new dial style liner that includes pads and chin strap as an all-in-one that's $150 but doesn't look like it would play well with contact style ear protection.

Now, if you went with the minimum reasonable options you're still in over $150 and more likely closer to $200 spent, if you want to be full featured, you might spend $300 or more, and I'm not even counting stuff like arc rails, bungees, lanyards, etc.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an ACH setup for NVG's (among others) but, I'm going to try to steer you away from that. To make the ACH "as good as" you will spend at least 75% of what you would spend on buying a normal bump helmet or maybe even more like 125%

First, you need a good bracket/shroud, you can get a rhino for $20,(not worth it) but minimum I'd get a Norotos Universal for $50 or a Wilcox for $60-100.

Next, you'll need good pads - the 4D are really good, I have the team Wendy epic from before "the drama" but assume you will spend $75-100 here. The original "improved" ACH pads are awful and get worse once you need to support NVG's out front.

You will also need an improved chin strap. The original is just not good enough to stabilize an NVG. Ops-core X or H-nape is good and available as surplus for $30-50 but the best one IMO is the team Wendy cam-fit, around $100(I dont really care about "the drama" the cam-fit is so superior it feels good on my head) it has the boa style dial in the back. Galvion has a new dial style liner that includes pads and chin strap as an all-in-one that's $150 but doesn't look like it would play well with contact style ear protection.

Now, if you went with the minimum reasonable options you're still in over $150 and more likely closer to $200 spent, if you want to be full featured, you might spend $300 or more, and I'm not even counting stuff like arc rails, bungees, lanyards, etc.
View Quote

+1 on this. I bought a ballstic helmet a few years back (Revision Midcut) and then spent as much as I spent on the helmet getting it "just right" I spent $350 on the helmet and then at least that amount on ops core h nape, 4d pads, wilcox shroud, arc rails etc. Then I realized that ballistic helmets (especially legacy designs) are heavy and retain a lot of heat. So now I have an OC carbon and a revision caiman carbon inbound to see which one I prefer Bottom line, if I could do it over, I would have just saved the scratch I used on buying and improving an ACH variant and just gotten a quality bump helmet instead. Obviously, if one requires ballistic protection for professional reasons, that changes things a bit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting an ACH rigged up for a multi-thousand dollar PVS-14 will end up costing you enough, that you’ll regret not going with a more modern platform to begin with. Ballistic rated high-cut, railed, shrouded helmets are available from $200 to $2000.

Check out this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I-need-a-new-ballistic-helmet/5-2292573/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
DH 132-B 48.00 Level IIIB ballistic protection
Norotos Universal shroud 35.00
Ops- Core H Nap 25.00
Zorbium pads 18.00
Airsoft ARC rails 15.00 Yes airsoft, but they're are excellent quality, are very close to the real ARC rails and interface with Ops-Core/3M accessories perfectly.
All brand new and for under 150.00 shipped
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you guys for the great advice!

I am dedicated to the ACH and will be purchasing a few of the suggested options above! The mount and bracket have been purchased.  Will prob buy the arc rails and Variarc for the IR light.  I would love to purchase a high cut ballistic helmet for the hearing protection benefit but I think I’m gonna hold off on that for a little bit bc my 5th kid will be here in july.  As I upgrade the helmet I’ll keep up guys updated.

The pads it currently has is the gray ones that came with it.  I’m not that worried about upgrading those or the harness on it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am dedicated to the ACH and will be purchasing a few of the suggested options above! The mount and bracket have been purchased.  Will prob buy the arc rails and Variarc for the IR light.  I would love to purchase a high cut ballistic helmet for the hearing protection benefit but I think I’m gonna hold off on that for a little bit bc my 5th kid will be here in july.  As I upgrade the helmet I’ll keep up guys updated.

The pads it currently has is the gray ones that came with it.  I’m not that worried about upgrading those or the harness on it.

View Quote

As you play with it, you will figure out the right setup for you.  Over time, you can upgrade the pads and harness as you see fit--I suspect the harness first.

If it has worked for hundreds of thousands of GIs, it should work for you for a bit.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As you play with it, you will figure out the right setup for you.  Over time, you can upgrade the pads and harness as you see fit--I suspect the harness first.

If it has worked for hundreds of thousands of GIs, it should work for you for a bit.

Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

As one of those 'hundreds of thousands' I say spend the coin on the 4D pads now.

Run them in my 'I didn't sign for it, so I must be mine' ACH from 2004 and the difference is night and day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Understanding that you already have an ACH and want to use that, aside from those who pointed out that you'll spend more making it into a suitable NOD platform than buying a new, purpose-built helmet -- I don't really get the obsession with ballistic helmets. Sure, I have a bunch too because I'm a closet prepper, but for nightly use with NODs, any ballistic helmet is heavy (relative to a bump helmet) and traps HEAT like a mother! Get a well-ventilated bump or a Crye Nightcap so you don't fog-up your ocular(s) on humid nights while sweat runs down your face because your melon is on fire. If whatever you're stalking isn't shooting back, skip the ACH (or any ballistic helmet FTM).

It's perfectly reasonable to have one for SHTF or whatever active-shooter scenario you envision yourself getting into, but for regular use, it's just not the way to go.

Just my $0.02 in a world where pennies are worthless.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:37:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Understanding that you already have an ACH and want to use that, aside from those who pointed out that you'll spend more making it into a suitable NOD platform than buying a new, purpose-built helmet -- I don't really get the obsession with ballistic helmets. Sure, I have a bunch too because I'm a closet prepper, but for nightly use with NODs, any ballistic helmet is heavy (relative to a bump helmet) and traps HEAT like a mother! Get a well-ventilated bump or a Crye Nightcap so you don't fog-up your ocular(s) on humid nights while sweat runs down your face because your melon is on fire. If whatever you're stalking isn't shooting back, skip the ACH (or any ballistic helmet FTM).

It's perfectly reasonable to have one for SHTF or whatever active-shooter scenario you envision yourself getting into, but for regular use, it's just not the way to go.

Just my $0.02 in a world where pennies are worthless.
View Quote

I get the point of each type of helm.  I’ve had my fair share in the Corps with the PASGT helms and wearing PVS-14s, with my brain cooker on and low light settings, falling and rolling down countless hills and all while being butt stroked by my own rifle.  

The ACH is one of the few helms I currently have,  I enjoy and prefer the protection benefits of ballistic helms for preparedness reasons.  I will eventually get a high cut ballistic down the road.

I personally  think if I’m mounting a laser on my rifle, and if there ever comes a need to use that laser on that rifle, I’ll probably want a ballistic helmet on as well.   Whether that be on the range with some other unknown shooters during low light, or whether it be in a some unlikely battle.

I appreciate your $0.02 and all opinions are welcome here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Galvion sells helmet covers and rails. I like their system interlocking rail/shroud system, much more stable than standard single hole shrouds.

ETA: I find now that I got a larger ACH, that it is perfectly adequate with hearing protection if the pads are set up right. I also have 4D pads, and an ops core chin strap. those two are essential to a comfortable helmet.

ETA

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Galvion sells helmet covers and rails. I like their system interlocking rail/shroud system, much more stable than standard single hole shrouds.

ETA: I find now that I got a larger ACH, that it is perfectly adequate with hearing protection if the pads are set up right. I also have 4D pads, and an ops core chin strap. those two are essential to a comfortable helmet.

ETA

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20200429_084341_jpg-1392343.JPG
View Quote

Very nice,  what are you using for ear pro with the ach helmet? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Very nice,  what are you using for ear pro with the ach helmet? Just wondering.
View Quote

At the moment, howard leights. However, my buddies and I are planning to build communications headsets based on MSA sordins eventually.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m kinda confused how you have them rigged to fit under the helmet.  So you have no top soft pad?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m kinda confused how you have them rigged to fit under the helmet.  So you have no top soft pad?
View Quote

That's how I run mine--no top pad (not jumping anymore).  Just pads on the front and back.  Been like that for over a decade with no complaints.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By billpete:

That's how I run mine--no top pad (not jumping anymore).  Just pads on the front and back.  Been like that for over a decade with no complaints.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billpete:
Originally Posted By Leprechaun-33-:
I’m kinda confused how you have them rigged to fit under the helmet.  So you have no top soft pad?

That's how I run mine--no top pad (not jumping anymore).  Just pads on the front and back.  Been like that for over a decade with no complaints.

Do the same with my ACH and the MSA Sordin DIGITAL SUPREME PRO NECK link

Just a soft strap on the top of your head while the guts run behind your neck.

ETA: a run of the mill 2004 ACH, not a high cut one. No issues with the Sordins fitting under the helmet or breaking the seal with gel cups.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the sordin info.

I just searched YouTube and holy airsoft crapola that airsoft junk is like a waste of resources on youtube!  What a pain to filter through that crap!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
We have some of the Ops-Core Mission Configurable Helmet Covers in stock, they're just not on the website yet, so you'd have to call or e-mail:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-tdvizl1wrj/images/stencil/500x659/products/788/6402/MCHC_01__61892.1521137295.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Would solve most of your problems in one fell swoop if you did decide to go with an ACH or were stuck with one (e.g., issued helmet). 

Fit is adjustable and very stable, supported the PBM-A with COTI with no issues--provides an improved shroud, authentic ARC rails, Velcro panels, and it will fit a Mohawk as well. Only available in Multicam, but honestly, who need any other color? 

Great option for upgrading an ACH/ECH if you want some "modern" functionality out of an issued or cheap surplus ballistic helmet without having to buy a brand new ballistic helmet. 

~Augee
View Quote

How much is this going for?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump Update in OP
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Holly crap! I thought you were ballin' on a budget? $603 for the L4 G37?

You could have done a RHNO II with helmet mount for $50 and then a NOROTOS PVS-15/ PVS-18 SOCKET for another $54. Everything would have locked up rock solid as well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The money saved off of what I just posted would have allowed you to get a brand name high cut helmet.

Not hating on your choices. You'll be GTG with the selections you've made thus far.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#29]
This Pro-Tech helmet comes with a Wilcox Shroud, OpsCore Arc rails and a Team Wendy cam retention harness. All for $399.

So if you went with the RHNO II plus dovetail adapter (vs. the L4G37), you could be getting a high-cut ballistic helmet while saving the $100 cost of ARC rails that are on your current list and basically be coming out ahead by $300.
Attachment Attached File

ProTech helmet: $399
RHNO II: $50
Norotos dovetail adapter: $54
Total: $503

Vs.

L4G37: $603
ARC rails: $111
ACH helmet: FREE
Total: $714

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
This Pro-Tech helmet comes with a Wilcox Shroud, OpsCore Arc rails and a Team Wendy cam retention harness. All for $399.

So if you went with the RHNO II plus dovetail adapter (vs. the L4G37), you could be getting a high-cut ballistic helmet while saving the $100 cost of ARC rails that are on your current list and basically be coming out ahead by $300.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Q_RANGER__5-5-2020_4_48_41_PM_png-1402735.JPG

Protech helmet: $399
RHNO II: $50
Norotos dovetail adapter: $54
Total: $503

Vs.

L4G37: $603
ARC rails: $111
ACH helmet: FREE
Total: $714

View Quote

Thank you, I like that color!
I may have to buy that as well one day.  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Leprechaun-33-:

Thank you, I may have to buy that as well one day.  Thanks for sharing!
View Quote

You're GTG... That post was mainly to demonstrate to others watching the thread how one component can totally offset a project.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
I don't know where the OP's helmet came from. 

But I would trust a surplus ACH for ballistic protection before a ProTech, and IMHO, the Wilcox system is a much better mount than the RHNO II, which is not to say the RHNO II is not a good and serviceable mount, but the Wilcox mounts are the gold standard for a reason, I'd say the OP spent the money in the right places. 

Not that there haven't been the occasional issues with ACHs, but not all ballistic helmets are created equal, and there is a difference between making a shell out of ballistic material and testing a ballistic helmet to standard correctly as a complete system. 

There may be things you can afford to skimp on, if you're going to get a ballistic helmet, it would certainly not be the one I would choose if I actually had a need for a ballistic helmet. If you don't, just get a bump of some flavor and skip the weight and expense of a ballistic.  

If you don't want to pay Ops-Core money, there are options out there from reputable suppliers of armor like the Galvion (formerly Revision Military) helmets, but honestly for what you get with a pad and chinstrap swap, ACH/MICHs are a pretty good value, largely because there are so many of them out there made for the military. 

~Augee
View Quote

@TNVC_Augee

The Safariland Group owns Protech Armor Systems. It’s not some fly-by-night.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you Augee and PFran42 for your opinions and advice.

I am the type to buy once cry once, and if I ever get hit in the head by an round, I’d surely hope Id have a worthy ballistic helmet to protect me.  Considering the brain housing group in my grape fruit is very valuable to me,  I don’t mind putting a decent amount of cash towards that type of protection.  It would be a very very rare event for such a thing to happen, but shit happens .

That being said, keep bringing forward recommendations for newer or better kevlars, and I’d be highly interested in purchasing an updated one that will protect me.  I use these helmets for job/practice and play, and here and there I get rounds incoming.  

I understand the Wilcox Mount is pricey considering other options, but the reviews I have read from most people are extremely positive about them.
Any advice on an IR light to mount on the VariArc? I’m thinking that Surefire M300V.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The way I see it, constructive back and forth only serves to make everyone participating in the thread, smarter and more informed.

OpsCore, Team Hillary, MSA and Gentex are the most batted around names in ballistic helmets on this forum but threads such as yours get people to dig and sometimes we uncover a few gems along the way.

Edit:

Forgot to add... I find absolutely nothing wrong with your choice of NV mount. The L4G24 has been the high mark for a while. The only reason, I was going for a well rounded “bang-for-buck” package is b/c I was under the impression that you were budget constrained.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I prefer holsters by G-code

Wilcox has made an unusual way to label their models!  Kinda reminds me of how glock names their models.

Augee is there a way to side by side compare each model of Wilcox mounts on any websites?

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the detailed description! That clears up a lot.

As for the gcode, I’ve always had the drop leg, and I’ve never had one brake.  Most of the time I may be on my right side shooting, the pistol is in such an awkward position, it is uncomfortable (digs in) which causes me to shift my weight off of the holster or weapon.  I have had the push button release loosen up which I simply tightened back down.  I’ve used this one below for about 4 years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Surefire Vamp came today!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#41]
These original screws are a pain to take out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Here’s the update,

I had to custom make a tool for the set/torque mabobby screws which are on the inside of the helmet to take off the screws.
Attachment Attached File

Second issue is the harness holes do not fit the new harness nuts for the new screws.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Evolution
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top