Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 7:06:52 PM EDT
Started doing case prep on my Dillon 650 for .233 and was going okay but then broke two decapping pins does the adjustment of the decapping assembly effect this? I thought I just needed to screw it down enough to punch the primer out. If that’s not it any other ideas why this would happen?
it’s a Dillon full length resize die FYI
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the minimum amount of projection to do the job and not withdraw the primer back.

Military crimps?  I recommend a primer punch and block or a universal decapping die that slides when interference arises.

causes; off center flash holes, holes too small for the pin, I want to say guys said Guatamala surplus was terrible for small flash holes.

I would also look at how the die centers on the station and would check that there isn’t too much slop in the center bolt holding the shell plate.  Also double check you have the right plate and locator buttons installed.   My 550 has a paperclip looking spring that holds the case in place for the sizing/decapping option.  It needs adjustment if you swap calibers.    I am a 550 user not a 650, not sure if everything translates.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the mighty armory decamping die and never look back.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
worth checking the platform alignment but if you don't have the tool can't.  Add one to your next Dillon order

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550-series-xl-650-platform-alignment-tool_8_6_26408.html
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Brass prep for .223 is miserable because of crimped primers and sometimes berdan primed brass.   I bent the pin in a Lee decapping die need to order another. I have a system that works I use a seat from on old sink below the shell and an acrilic hammer to beat the primer out with a decapping pin. I should have just bought Lapua brass years ago rather rely on finding stuff on the ground.

Then after chamfering the primer pocket swaging the primer pocket and using a primer pocket uniformer  hopefully it will allow primers to load.   My brass never gets to the Dillon until it is primed all the prep is done first, trimming, chamfering cleaning the primer pocket yea its a huge pain.  I tend to think progressives are better for pistol ammo.  No matter what I do the Dillon seems to fluctuate slightly on the powder charge on rifle cases.

Has anyone else noticed the AR marked small Fed rifle primers seem a tad oversize extra tight fit?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch for berdan prime cases...( twin flash holes).. they sneak in with your other cases and wreck shop on decap pins..
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the minimum amount of projection to do the job and not withdraw the primer back.

Military crimps?  I recommend a primer punch and block or a universal decapping die that slides when interference arises.

causes; off center flash holes, holes too small for the pin, I want to say guys said Guatamala surplus was terrible for small flash holes.

I would also look at how the die centers on the station and would check that there isn’t too much slop in the center bolt holding the shell plate.  Also double check you have the right plate and locator buttons installed.   My 550 has a paperclip looking spring that holds the case in place for the sizing/decapping option.  It needs adjustment if you swap calibers.    I am a 550 user not a 650, not sure if everything translates.  

View Quote

My bolt holding the shell plate was loose thanks for the suggestion hopefully that was it now to wait on replacement pins
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep tighten it just enough not to go out of alignment ,but not so tight that it throws powder all over the place..good luck!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get the mighty armory decamping die and never look back.
View Quote

2nd The Mighty Armory Decap die, bent / broke a many pins.
the M.A. Decap die still going strong.

-Garland
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]
FW ARMS™ PRIMER POPPER AUTO-CASE CENTERING DECAPPER/DEPRIMER
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm guessing if you broke 2 decapping pins you're new to reloading.  Do it long enough and you'll break more.  Lee universal decapper holds up pretty well against crimped primers, and you'll learn when to stop after hitting a berdan once you've either broke more pins or stuck a pin in there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm guessing if you broke 2 decapping pins you're new to reloading.  Do it long enough and you'll break more.  Lee universal decapper holds up pretty well against crimped primers, and you'll learn when to stop after hitting a berdan once you've either broke more pins or stuck a pin in there.
View Quote

True, you will develop the feel that it isn’t going right and have the sudden stop down pat.  

For me it was LC .30-06 delinked machine gun ammo brass.  Horribly off center flash holes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My bolt holding the shell plate was loose thanks for the suggestion hopefully that was it now to wait on replacement pins
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top