Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2022 3:08:11 PM EDT
Ok, here’s the criteria I’m looking for.

Super reliable
7.62x39.
Foldable stock or brace and can fire multiple shots with stock or brace in folded position (no law folding adapter or similar).  
5/8x24 thread pitch barrel for ease of suppressing.
Short barrel (around the 9” range ish)
Will be able to wear a sling, light and red dot.

I’m not interested in pistol calibers. I’m not interested in .300 b/o.

I’m hoping someone on here can introduce me to a platform that I’m unaware of that checks all of the above boxes. This would be my ideal rig to fold up nice and compact, tuck away in my truck but still be within reach, put in a backpack or small-ish spend-a-night bag, and for when traveling in my truck, in hotels etc.

What y’all got for me? Many thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it need to be an AR platform?

Because a VSKA Draco (10.5 barrel) or Micro Draco (7.75" barrel) have those qualities except the thread pitch (14x1 LH).

There are folding adapters for them to use AR buffer tubes so brace or stock options are many.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
PTR 32p

When you can find then in stock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Galil ace
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Galil Ace
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Bring the hate but my Bren 2 has been perfect… absolutely perfect

I also have a mini jack with a CNC warrior brace
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
That Gen ii Galil Ace with 8.3” barrel, side folding brace and M lok rail looks pretty tempting. Not in stock anywhere, and pricey, but would definitely scratch my itch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Maxim PDX in 7.62X39. I have one and suppress with Sandman K. Started life a 5.56 and bought the 7.62X39 upper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Fire with folded stock?  AR platform is out.  I prescribe an AK for what ails you.  

I've fired a few thousand rounds through my M92 and have never had a jam or failure. Like it so much I just bought an M85.

Heavy, but it just runs and runs.  Add a KNS piston and suppressor and it is a potent package.  Easy to add in a 1911 rail for a red dot and to add a folding stock.  Not enough mass on muzzle to be turned down to 5/8X24, so machinist turned mine to 1/2X28. Dead Air, Silencerco and others sell QD, .30 cal muzzle devices with 1/2X28 thread pitch.  I use the Dead Air micro.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
PSA AK-P. The one pictured i not an SBR (yet), but the AK platform hits all your marks except the threading. Can be done, though.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, sounds like AK is the closest. If you up your bbl requirement an inch or two you have some additional options, and if you're not incredibly tied down to 7.62x39 those options also include 5.56. You can also find adaptors for the (typical) metric pitch or some mfg make qd devices in those thread pitches (YHM is one, which is what I use).

I've heard the AKs beat themselves up a bit when suppressed, but mine seems to be fine and never had any issues, other than my ejected cases hit orbit.

Edit: The AK limits your optic choices a bit more than the AR, but just about anything can be done (TWS, Krebs, MI, etc). There are very few options that include cowitness if you're into that (tws bitty w/rmr is all I can think of off hand).
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Galil ace
View Quote

This

Fits perfectly in a Vertx Gamut backpack.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate all the input. Is the receiver on the Galil Ace pistol the same size as a traditional AK receiver?particularly the length?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top