Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2018 3:33:10 PM EDT
What would you advise for a helmet to mount for a PVS 14? I will likely initially use the soft head mount, but will look at helmets to mount. Do they vary in comfort, weight, bulk, etc as anything else does? All have mounts for the PVS14 arm?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It's best to come up with a budget and if you want a ballistic, bump, or packable. There are mounting solution for each, so getting a budget, are you going to upgrade to duals in the future and most likely usage will help narrow down the recommendations.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I know alot of people talk shit about them but, I love my Team Wendy bump.. super light and comfortable.. Optics Planet has them on sale from time to time with coupon for $279 with free shipping
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They talk shit for good reason. I will never cave into the Hillary crowd, EVER and some still support them around here even though its funny you don't see them advertising on the EE here any longer but they still support the Hillary crowd on their web sites. Same crowd then complains about waits and back orders like that is some tarnished spell on us, but gladly pimp the Hillary dealers...Not on my watch and I would rather go out of business than ever cave for the almighty dollars. The Benghazi familes alone are owed more than that...
View Quote
This. It seemed like a lot of people forgot about that after a little while.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
In before the mod who defends TW because he’s buds with the owner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which mod?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a cheap airsoft helmet on ebay.   Built in shroud and it works with a G11.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with spending the $$$ but you can get an ops core bump, rhino II mount instead of the Wilcox and save yourself many hundreds of dollars.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember seeing Clasky having a coupon code for Ops Core. I don't need another helmet, but.......
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I’d like to try the Caiman, but my Team Shitlery (purchases pre-campaign visit) and OPs Core FAST are nice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I went with an airsoft helmet. The included pads are absolutely horrible. Bought a set of upgraded pads from Hard Headed Veterans for $50 and now I have an extremely comfortable helmet for under $100.

I also got an ACH off eBay so that I'll have a ballistic option, and I'm in the process of upgrading the pads and chin strap as well as decking it out with a helmet cover, counterweight, etc.

In the end I'll have around $500 invested in helmets. Not bad considering it covers both ballistic and non-ballistic, and both are comfortable. You don't have to spend a zillion dollars to get something decent.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the ACH heavy and uncomfortable?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Big fan of the Bump with 4D pads.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its a basic ballistic lid, most ballistic lids give you a neck and headache after extended use. This is mitigated by upgrading the harness and pads.

Most "surplus" ACH's are running between $150 and $200 most places. You can usually find a quality bump helmet from TW or Ops Core for only a bit more and not have to worry about Joe's lack of personally hygiene. That and you dont have to wear a heavy ass helmet.

So unless its free, or you need ballistic coverage on the cheap, go for a bump helmet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice rig...
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Its a basic ballistic lid, most ballistic lids give you a neck and headache after extended use. This is mitigated by upgrading the harness and pads.

Most "surplus" ACH's are running between $150 and $200 most places. You can usually find a quality bump helmet from TW or Ops Core for only a bit more and not have to worry about Joe's lack of personally hygiene. That and you dont have to wear a heavy ass helmet.

So unless its free, or you need ballistic coverage on the cheap, go for a bump helmet.  
View Quote
I got my ACH brand new off eBay for $125. If you look around and are patient you can find pretty good deals. And yeah, it's gonna take some work to make it comfortable with night vision hanging off the front, but still affordable with those upgrades factored in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#22]
@supermoose

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ll 2nd the TW. But don’t buy one.
Mine is a pre-Hillary one and won’t give them any more of my $.
I need to get a pre-Hillary patch made so folks know. Lol
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They talk shit for good reason. I will never cave into the Hillary crowd, EVER and some still support them around here even though its funny you don't see them advertising on the EE here any longer but they still support the Hillary crowd on their web sites. Same crowd then complains about waits and back orders like that is some tarnished spell on us, but gladly pimp the Hillary dealers...Not on my watch and I would rather go out of business than ever cave for the almighty dollars. The Benghazi familes alone are owed more than that...
View Quote
A#1!
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of the Ops Core Bump too. I though the stock pads were fine but as expected the 4D are better. They actually seem to let the 14s index exactly right every time I put the helmet on vs the stock pads which took just a second to wiggle

Someone in Whisker's thread mentioned velcro for the lens caps and I'm really happy with how this came out. Velcro on the daylight covers and velcro on the helmet. Solid as a rock
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#26]
So where is the best place to purchase Ops Core Bump from? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So where is the best place to purchase Ops Core Bump from? Thanks!
View Quote
Opscore has a 20% off coupon "CLASKY".
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 1:43:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I know alot of people talk shit about them but, I love my Team Wendy bump.. super light and comfortable.. Optics Planet has them on sale from time to time with coupon for $279 with free shipping
View Quote
Team Hillary? Yeah...No.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. There should be a way to show people it was bought “pre-Hillery”
PHTW?

I have a lot of TW helmets and love em. But haven’t given them any $$ since.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Interesting idea...We auctioned off a ton "after the crap sale", maybe we should have marked them some how.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree. There should be a way to show people it was bought “pre-Hillery”
PHTW?

I have a lot of TW helmets and love em. But haven’t given them any $$ since.
Interesting idea...We auctioned off a ton "after the crap sale", maybe we should have marked them some how.
Did you ever see those "Hilary for prison" PMAG's? Would've been perfect.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
well i defend team wendy because
1. they make a hell of a product. the new ballistic sl is the cat's tits.
2. i know as absolute fact that they are/were certainly not alone in the defense mfr community for supporting hillary. they just made the mistake of being open and honest about it
3. they respect and support the 2nd amendment and its application to all u.s. citizens, unlike a certain other popular brand which utterly refuses to sell to the public: "Sale of this product is restricted to active military, security, and law enforcement personnel. Upon placing an order, we will contact you to confirm eligibility, requesting appropriate documentation as necessary."

point 3 to me is a FAR greater sin and much more worthy of a banning than is the supporting a political candidate you don't agree with. publicly supporting a legitimate political candidate=omfg the outrage! BAN!. selectively supporting the 2nd and not selling to citizens? meh, whatever, all good, take my money if i'm deemed worthy. it's funny what we choose to be outraged about in this business

so yeah, i'd highly recommend the team wendy ltp if you want a high quality bump helmet or the ballistic sl if money is no object. either are fantastic for their respective applications and feel amazingly comfortable after long hours of wear
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Let it be known I finally swapped out my Team Shitlery headgear for Ops-Core yesterday. ZFG about what the guy above me said.

A Shitlery supporter is certainly no friend of the 2A, and no friend of mine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
2. i know as absolute fact that they are/were certainly not alone in the defense mfr community for supporting hillary. they just made the mistake of being open and honest about it
3. they respect and support the 2nd amendment and its application to all u.s. citizens, unlike a certain other popular brand which utterly refuses to sell to the public: "Sale of this product is restricted to active military, security, and law enforcement personnel. Upon placing an order, we will contact you to confirm eligibility, requesting appropriate documentation as necessary."

point 3 to me is a FAR greater sin and much more worthy of a banning than is the supporting a political candidate you don't agree with. publicly supporting a legitimate political candidate=omfg the outrage! BAN!. selectively supporting the 2nd and not selling to citizens? meh, whatever, all good, take my money if i'm deemed worthy. it's funny what we choose to be outraged about in this business

so yeah, i'd highly recommend the team wendy ltp if you want a high quality bump helmet or the ballistic sl if money is no object. either are fantastic for their respective applications and feel amazingly comfortable after long hours of wear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Team Wendy a 2A supporter?

Sure

I have no idea what “other manufacturer” you’re talking about.

Yes, they make a good product. Is it worth buying them and supporting their BS? Nope.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Thank God she didn't win, if she did we'd be severely screwed by her nominating the next 2 SCOTUS  members. Even if a Team Wendy helmet was more comfortable as wearing unicorn huevos hair on your head, I wouldn't take it if they paid me. New or used don't buy there crap. If there is a surplus of used no one will buy a new one and watch their company fade into the abyss. Screw any company that supports such a candidate that will stoop to the lowest levels just to get nominated.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm using an opscore now and I'm not a big fan, the counterweight helps but it's still not comfortable at all.

I was on the screw team Wendy band wagon until I tried their helmet, it's much better imo.

yea yea buy 4d pads they say, but why when I could buy a team Wendy for cheaper than an ops core and pad upgrade?

im not rushing out to replace my ops core yet but when I get a set of binos I'll be buying a team Wendy to go with them.

not defending team Wendy, but I'm also not going to short myself because of that. People still buy Troy products lol....
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm using an opscore now and I'm not a big fan, the counterweight helps but it's still not comfortable at all.

I was on the screw team Wendy band wagon until I tried their helmet, it's much better imo.

yea yea buy 4d pads they say, but why when I could buy a team Wendy for cheaper than an ops core and pad upgrade?

im not rushing out to replace my ops core yet but when I get a set of binos I'll be buying a team Wendy to go with them.

not defending team Wendy, but I'm also not going to short myself because of that. People still buy Troy products lol....
View Quote
You’ll eventually buy the 4 D pads for the TW anyways.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sure

View Quote
meanwhile, team wendy will happily sell their top of the line, industry leading ballistic helmet (plus whatever accessories i want) to me. ops core will not, so fk them. 2a isn't strictly about guns bubba. also, i disagree with your other post about replacing tw pads with 4d. i've tried 4d pads. they're good, and maybe even slightly better than the team wendy kit, but the cost/benefit is marginal at best. out of the box tw is the most comfortable helmet available, hands down and i've tried several (not mtek yet sadly). the combination of that liner with the cam fit/boa means you can dial the perfect fit for any head, and the whole kit is light as hell.

anyway i don't want to come off as a blind defender of team wendy. your company can support who you want, but do it privately (like others in the industry). i would just say that their products are best in class and to swear them off because they supported a candidate we didn't like (hated, actually) is akin to cutting the nose off to spite the face, especially when their main competitor is guilty of far worse sins imo than supporting some pantsuit jackass. i'll end by saying that i just finished reading the 80+ page nv helmet rig thread. filled, wall to wall with testimony about how amazing team wendy stuff is, right up until the election cycle. what changed? not their products certainly. some of you want the line in the sand to be political candidate support. my personal line in the sand is being treated like a 2nd class citizen by a helmet manufacturer who won't sell to me because i'm not active duty. to each his own. that's all i'll say about that

to the op, if you are looking at the new ballistic sl, the new rail system definitely takes some getting used to. still figuring out how to attach stuff, and the existing team wendy covers don't really fit properly. they have new rail 3.0 covers now, which i'll look into and report back. also, sizing tends to run small, so size up if possible. as i said, you can dial the fit perfectly even if the helmet is slightly large for you. any questions lmk
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
meanwhile, team wendy will happily sell their top of the line, industry leading ballistic helmet (plus whatever accessories i want) to me. ops core will not, so fk them. 2a isn't strictly about guns bubba. also, i disagree with your other post about replacing tw pads with 4d. i've tried 4d pads. they're good, and maybe even slightly better than the team wendy kit, but the cost/benefit is marginal at best. out of the box tw is the most comfortable helmet available, hands down and i've tried several (not mtek yet sadly). the combination of that liner with the cam fit/boa means you can dial the perfect fit for any head, and the whole kit is light as hell.

anyway i don't want to come off as a blind defender of team wendy. your company can sure pport who you want, but do it privately (like others in the industry). i would just say that their products are best in class and to swear them off because they supported a candidate we didn't like (hated, actually) is akin to cutting the nose off to spite the face, especially when their main competitor is guilty of far worse sins imo than supporting some pantsuit jackass. i'll end by saying that i just finished reading the 80+ page nv helmet rig thread. filled, wall to wall with testimony about how amazing team wendy stuff is, right up until the election cycle. what changed? not their products certainly. some of you want the line in the sand to be political candidate support. my personal line in the sand is being treated like a 2nd class citizen by a helmet manufacturer who won't sell to me because i'm not active duty. to each his own. that's all i'll say about that

to the op, if you are looking at the new ballistic sl, the new rail system definitely takes some getting used to. still figuring out how to attach stuff, and the existing team wendy covers don't really fit properly. they have new rail 3.0 covers now, which i'll look into and report back. also, sizing tends to run small, so size up if possible. as i said, you can dial the fit perfectly even if the helmet is slightly large for you. any questions lmk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure

anyway i don't want to come off as a blind defender of team wendy. your company can sure pport who you want, but do it privately (like others in the industry). i would just say that their products are best in class and to swear them off because they supported a candidate we didn't like (hated, actually) is akin to cutting the nose off to spite the face, especially when their main competitor is guilty of far worse sins imo than supporting some pantsuit jackass. i'll end by saying that i just finished reading the 80+ page nv helmet rig thread. filled, wall to wall with testimony about how amazing team wendy stuff is, right up until the election cycle. what changed? not their products certainly. some of you want the line in the sand to be political candidate support. my personal line in the sand is being treated like a 2nd class citizen by a helmet manufacturer who won't sell to me because i'm not active duty. to each his own. that's all i'll say about that

Horseshit.

I have a TW and started looking for pads less than a few months into wearing the damn thing.

4D are a massive improvement. So much so that I bought some for the Ops Core FAST Bump I acquired 2nd hand almost as soon as I got the helmet.

I can buy an Ops Core ballistic helmet today from Arms Unlimited/TNVC without having to do anything more than sign a waiver.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Ops-Core-FAST-Maritime-Super-High-Ballistic-Helmet-p/opscorefast-m.htm
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
The ACH, as issued, is a decent helmet. The ACH with upgraded pads (4D) and chinstrap (ops core) is a very decent helmet. If you don't need to cram a comm set or ear pro under a helmet, and you are on a strict budget, an ACH with some light upgrades will serve you well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh really? OPS core wont sell you gear because your not active duty??? News to us as we never have restricted a sale to any US citizen, they just need to sign our body armor waiver. I'd like to see and hear names of this tale?  I'll talk to OPS myself...

Who do work for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure

anyway i don't want to come off as a blind defender of team wendy. your company can support who you want, but do it privately (like others in the industry). i would just say that their products are best in class and to swear them off because they supported a candidate we didn't like (hated, actually) is akin to cutting the nose off to spite the face, especially when their main competitor is guilty of far worse sins imo than supporting some pantsuit jackass. i'll end by saying that i just finished reading the 80+ page nv helmet rig thread. filled, wall to wall with testimony about how amazing team wendy stuff is, right up until the election cycle. what changed? not their products certainly. some of you want the line in the sand to be political candidate support. my personal line in the sand is being treated like a 2nd class citizen by a helmet manufacturer who won't sell to me because i'm not active duty. to each his own. that's all i'll say about that

Oh really? OPS core wont sell you gear because your not active duty??? News to us as we never have restricted a sale to any US citizen, they just need to sign our body armor waiver. I'd like to see and hear names of this tale?  I'll talk to OPS myself...

Who do work for?
At this point I'm thinking he works for Team Shitlery.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#44]
i'm not talking about tnvc. yeah, you can buy ops core (and whatever else) via 3rd party reseller. you can get a peq 15 on ebay. i'm talking about direct. gentex/ops core won't sell to civilians. revision does something similar, but they "allow" their lower tier stuff to be sold to the peons. gentex is a hard no for everything they sell direct (except maybe their bump helmets), which to me really is horseshit. i'll be very curious to know what they tell you

so yes, you can buy their old fast mt super high cut helmet from tnvc or armsunlimited or whoever is blowing them out for gentex. show me where/how i can buy its replacement, the shiny new fast sf super high cut helmet. i have cash in hand. i'll wait. meanwhile, i have its direct competitor, the tw ballistic sl, sitting next to me as i type this. listen, i'm not trying to annoy you guys or cause trouble. just suggesting there may be legitimate reasons for some ppl to still support team wendy post hillary fiasco. ymmv

4d pads are an improvement, yes. a $110 improvement? eh, idk. maybe. agree to mildly disagree i guess. it's your money, do what you want. personally i'd rather get a system with an amazing fit out of the box and spend $110 elsewhere. again though, ymmv and everyone's head is shaped different
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i'm not talking about tnvc. yeah, you can buy ops core (and whatever else) via 3rd party reseller. you can get a peq 15 on ebay. i'm talking about direct. gentex/ops core won't sell to civilians. revision does something similar, but they "allow" their lower tier stuff to be sold to the peons. gentex is a hard no for everything they sell direct (except maybe their bump helmets), which to me really is horseshit. i'll be very curious to know what they tell you

so yes, you can buy their old fast mt super high cut helmet from tnvc or armsunlimited or whoever is blowing them out for gentex. show me where/how i can buy its replacement, the shiny new fast sf super high cut helmet. i have cash in hand. i'll wait. meanwhile, i have its direct competitor, the tw ballistic sl, sitting next to me as i type this. listen, i'm not trying to annoy you guys or cause trouble. just suggesting there may be legitimate reasons for some ppl to still support team wendy post hillary fiasco. ymmv

4d pads are an improvement, yes. a $110 improvement? eh, idk. maybe. agree to mildly disagree i guess. it's your money, do what you want. personally i'd rather get a system with an amazing fit out of the box and spend $110 elsewhere. again though, ymmv and everyone's head is shaped different
View Quote
I got my deluxe kit for under $100 direct from TNVC. The regular kit is cheaper than that ($80).

And equating a stocking certified dealer with Ebay grey market acquisition of .gov controlled items?

My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle...
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ill give it to you- this post came off a lot less ridiculous. See you could have just said a reason to like Team Shitlery is they will sell you their top tier stuff direct.

But you started this argument out with Team Shitlery is pro 2A and a whole bunch of other crazy nonsense. I don't know why you didn't just say this post in the first place.

For what its worth, the OPS-CORE chinstrap I just replaced my Team Shitlery chinstrap with is most definitely better quality. The only pro the T.W. had over it for me was ease of latching the buckle. Everything else on it was worse than the OPS-CORE tho
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top