Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2018 1:27:58 AM EDT
What are some basic helmet recommendations - some that are ballistic and some that are non ballistic.

Is there a good budget helmet in either category ?  And or what do you get as the prices jump up?

Curious to see what a low end non ballistic goes for in cost vs a higher end ballistic.

Mainly want to use the helmet for Go-Pro & NVG attachments.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
ACH for ~$120 to $150 for a ballistic helmet. Protec PT A-Bravo at ~$60 for non-ballistic.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get a brand new Gentex/MSA/United Shield/SDS ACH for about $150, sometimes less if you do some looking. Upgrade the pads and chinstrap and you have a perfectly useable ballistic helmet of known quality. You can also pony up the big bucks for the really cool guy helmets like the Crye Airframe, Ops-Core FAST XP or MT, Team Wendy Exfil or the MTEK Flux. There is a very serious difference between the ACH and those lids, but that doesn't mean that the ACH isn't perfectly viable and relevant in today's world. There are also mid-level pricing options like the Ops-Core/Gentex TBH II, which is essentially a Gentex (Ops-Core parent company) shell with all the cool guy accessories for about half the retail price of a FAST. I won't go into non-ballistic since I have no experience in that realm.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's just for NVG and camera mounting I would skip on the ballastic helmet and go with one of the various bump helmets on the market.  They have the advantage of being far lighter and vented.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Ops core bump has been one of the most stable and comfortable nvg use helmets I have used. I want to go carbon to save a little more weight and maybe in the future. If you get one watch out for fakes. The bravo is cheap but I don’t think as comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned above, if you just need a mount for NODs or a GoPro- you’ll get more bang for your buck with a bump helmet in terms of weight, comfort, and stability.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
For just GoPro/PVS-14 (if that's your plan), I'd skip bump and just get a Crye Nightcap.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Id go bump over ballistic if you arent doing shoot houses, etc.

Then again most of AR15.com has plate carriers, so why not ballistic helmets?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Apparently a lot of professional shooters and trainers are using these: For go pro mounting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top