Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2023 8:45:31 PM EDT
I have had a pvs14 for a few years and its an awesome tool. I have always used my pvs14 as a handheld monocular worn around my neck but now I want to mount it on my opscore bump.

From my research in the helmet pic thread I am thinking wilcox g11, I normally wear Sordins so probably another pair of those helmet mounted , and a surefire mini scout for white light so far.

What else would I need?

Once I migrate to a ballistic helmet does anything change besides the weight and coverage?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Counter weight?
-TNVC mohawk
Retention system for nod?
-Kenetic Nerd
IR beacon?
-Unity Spark

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Possible you'll need a J-arm with a dovetail unless you already have it.
It's also nice to have an IR helmet light.
I have the Inforce 400 lumen light that switches from IR to white light with an Echo Arms
helmet plate that works good.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possible you'll need a J-arm with a dovetail unless you already have it.
It's also nice to have an IR helmet light.
I have the Inforce 400 lumen light that switches from IR to white light with an Echo Arms
helmet plate that works good.

View Quote

The G11 is a horn aka standard interface, so a dovetail JArm won't work.

OP a G11 will directly mount to your OpsCore bump, so you're good there. If you want to move to a ballistic, you will need a helmet shroud that matches the G11 mount (most common) The one thing I would highly recommend is a retention lanyard which can be something as simple as a shoelace or 550 chord and a way to attach it to your bump (tied to the vent holes) and tether it to your 14 (paracord loop near the on/off and a mini Nite Ize carabiner0.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
AMP arms and AXL adapters for your Sordins.

I just use the bungee hooks on my Ops Core helmets for retention.

Depending on which ballistic you get, the pads are more important for the heavier helmets. The Lux Liner pads that came in my FAST SF were fine, but replacing the cheaper pads that came in my FAST LE with 4D pads made a huge difference in comfort.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks fellas, this is exactly what I needed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Go dovetail from the start forget the bayonet mount.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go dovetail from the start forget the bayonet mount.
View Quote

I ask this from a position of complete ignorance, is that the mechanism with which the mount interfaces with the monocular and why is it better?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I ask this from a position of complete ignorance, is that the mechanism with which the mount interfaces with the monocular and why is it better?
View Quote

Yes, it's the interface between the mount that attaches to the shroud on the helmet and the J-alarm that attaches to the monocular. You'd need a dovetail compatible j-arm as well as the dovetail mount.

Dovetail is more stable than bayonet mount. Plus, you can use the same dovetail mount when you upgrade to duals later.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
4D pads. The full set.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Click middle photo

Provides more secure lockup, but your mount must accept it also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The only reason I would ever go with a G11 is because I had to use bayonet because Army. Dovetail is worth the money. The upside to the G11 is that it puts the PVS-14 lower and more to the front so it is easier to clear obstacles and get in vics. The downside with the G11 is that it puts the PVS-14 lower and more to the front when stowed...

And I have one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
4D pads. The full set.
View Quote

This. Absolute must have imho.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#13]
anyone have links to dovetail mounts that interface with the opscore bump? What about J arms that work with a dovetail mount?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can find these on our site. Easiest way to find is to goggle "TNVC" then the name such as "TNVC Wilcox G24"

Wilcox G24
Norotos LoSto (USMC variant)

Either of these will work with the Noisefighters AX14-PRO dovetail j-arm. I recommend using the Wilcox PVS-14 dovetail arm with the G24.

Another mount & arm combo is the Norotos INVG Hyper with the Norotos Dual Dovetail Adapter.
View Quote

Thanks that's exactly what I needed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
It's already been covered... but I wanted to double tap the counterweight. Thought I didn't need one initially running a TW bump and a single pvs14... had my g24 at max height and was still having issues. A friend suggested a counterweight.

I havent ran around with it yet, but I can already telling its going to be a massive improvement.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's already been covered... but I wanted to double tap the counterweight. Thought I didn't need one initially running a TW bump and a single pvs14... had my g24 at max height and was still having issues. A friend suggested a counterweight.

I havent ran around with it yet, but I can already telling its going to be a massive improvement.
View Quote

I grabbed the TNVC mohawk, I have not tried it yet though as I still need a mount for the monocular.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes. Should be an Opscore specific set. If you want to go cheap on the mount get a Rhino2 off the ee or ebay and convert it with the pvs15 dovetail socket. Tnvc usually has in stock. Then dovetail j-arm of your choice and you're ready to roll.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We have 2 listings of deluxe pads. This one above is for Ops-Core helmets such as the FAST SF that have the vented lux liner (VLL). Only select this version if you have the VLL. If you have a Ops-Core FAST BUMP or older legacy ballistic without the VLL then you need the other deluxe kit (it won't have VLL in the listing).

If you get hung up shoot me a PM.
View Quote

Thanks, any idea when the g24 will be back in stock?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It’s going to be a minute we have a lot of back orders.

If you need a helmet mount now, we have the Norotos LoSto USMC variant in stock in coyote brown.

It’s a great mount very similar to the G24. The main difference is the G24 has a little more forward travel. This extra travel may be necessary with a gas mask or the Ops-Core Step In Visor depending on the goggle. For regular use the LoSto is fine as is.
View Quote

Ordered the Norotos and noisefighter thanks for all the help so far Will and everybody above. I think next will be a second pair of sordins, AMP arms, and the AXL adapters.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ordered the Norotos and noisefighter thanks for all the help so far Will and everybody above. I think next will be a second pair of sordins, AMP arms, and the AXL adapters.
View Quote

Damn. Meant to post back yesterday. Found 3 Noisefighter Arms ill probably sell in EE and was going to offer you one for the new setup. All my helmets have Comtacs but I use Sordins for regular range use and love them. If you ordered the PVS14 Mount from their site I'm sure you saw the gel ear cups they have with the little cutout for eyepro arms. They work great!
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#26]
i'll go against the grain on some stuff.

After about a decade I run my helmet slick without a bunch of white/IR doodads hanging off of it.
I have a counter weight on the back and retention and that's it, picture is a little old but I took the strobe on the back off too and i'll either have a chemlight in my pocket or a small IFF on my shoulder (surefire helmet light in the molle mount)

I got tired of smacking lights on doorways and getting snagged on stuff
broke a princeton tec MPLS off the side

I just prefer it slick now with a headlamp around my neck if I need admin lighting and I dont have to fiddle around with the side of my head if I need to change a battery.
Its like reverse umbrella lighting (off the gorund) except I dont have something hanging off the top of my head to get it - plus its a heck of a lot cheaper.

if im going to be doing a lot of shooting I just wear ear plugs to keep it slick
I use tac6's if im going to hunt coyotes or something

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Team Wendy and HHV bumps have metal mounts in shroud.  The rest are 'molded'.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
4D pads. The full set.
View Quote

Yep. Absolutely
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#29]
My TNVC stuff shows up tomorrow, going to get it all put together tomorrow night after the gym.

From using my monocular as a handheld it seems pretty forgiving but I still want to ask, any best practices I should know going in?

The only thing I can think to compare it to is leveling a scope or properly fitting body armor, neither is complicated but both have methodical steps and goals, I assume mounting a pvs14 is probably similar?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My TNVC stuff shows up tomorrow, going to get it all put together tomorrow night after the gym.

From using my monocular as a handheld it seems pretty forgiving but I still want to ask, any best practices I should know going in?

The only thing I can think to compare it to is leveling a scope or properly fitting body armor, neither is complicated but both have methodical steps and goals, I assume mounting a pvs14 is probably similar?
View Quote

Mounting is straight forward with the only real variable being distance from the face. Expect to tweek all of the knobs on the mount to get it lined up with your eye. Personally, once I get it centered up, I push the tube away until just before the image starts to shrink. This standoff gives me maximum peripheral vision around the tube.

Focus at the stars for an infinity focus. Depth of field at that distance is so large that it's good until fairly close. Learn live with things being a little fuzzy at close range. Conversely, depth of field at close range is so narrow that it's nearly useless except for momentary tasks.

Focus the front ring first, the back ring (diopter) second, and then reconfirm the front ring to properly focus.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Even with just a 14 run some counterweight. You want the helmet to be reasonably balanced. Like if you but a finger mid way on each side and lifted the 14 shouldn't swing right down. With a little counterweight and the 4d pads it should just float on top your head. Tightening the worm dial and you can leave your chinstrap fairly loose and have it just be for retention and not stability. With as light as your setup is if done properly you should be able to wear it for hours at a time without discomfort.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Even with just a 14 run some counterweight. You want the helmet to be reasonably balanced. Like if you but a finger mid way on each side and lifted the 14 shouldn't swing right down. With a little counterweight and the 4d pads it should just float on top your head. Tightening the worm dial and you can leave your chinstrap fairly loose and have it just be for retention and not stability. With as light as your setup is if done properly you should be able to wear it for hours at a time without discomfort.
View Quote

Yup, the "Balance on a Broomstick/Finger Method" is my pref as well. You will use more weight, but there is zero, rearward neck muscle use needed - it is literally perfectly balanced.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the info fellas, appreciate all the assistance so far.

Dumb questions the retention lanyards go to the mount and not the arm or monocular right? Any considerations with retention to avoid or reduce injuries? I imagine taking the mount and attachments to the face would suck but would be preferred to finding out if the chin strap or your neck fail first.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info fellas, appreciate all the assistance so far.

Dumb questions the retention lanyards go to the mount and not the arm or monocular right? Any considerations with retention to avoid or reduce injuries? I imagine taking the mount and attachments to the face would suck but would be preferred to finding out if the chin strap or your neck fail first.
View Quote

Loop a piece of 550 chord through the 2 holes just under the on/off knob, then use a Nite Ize mini carabiner to tie it all together.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#35]
step 1 is now complete thanks to you guys and TNVC.

I took my helmet out after I got home from the gym and got everything adjusted and focused, shout out to topgunpilot20 for the tips about the stars that was awesome and easy.

After I got back inside I played with the helmet a little with the RMR on my ta33 equipped rifle and the rmr on a glock 19 and it is unreal how easy it is to pick up the dot and target in what seems like complete darkness to the naked eye. I am totally doing dry fire with nods now.

Next up I think will be retention of some kind, pads, and ear pro. I am already contemplating a laser/illuminator to ruin my perfectly balanced and set up rifles with as well.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help so far you guys are appreciated.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After I got back inside I played with the helmet a little with the RMR on my ta33 equipped rifle and the rmr on a glock 19 and it is unreal how easy it is to pick up the dot and target . . .
View Quote

I was also blown away how intuitive it was to shoot a red dot pistol and a high-mounted red dot on a rifle under NODs.

Congrats and welcome to the dark side.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Loop a piece of 550 chord through the 2 holes just under the on/off knob, then use a Nite Ize mini carabiner to tie it all together.
View Quote

@Forlorn-Hope  I gutted some 550 & tied it off in those 2 loops.  I needed it this winter when i didn't click the J arm all the way in when swapping from a buddys helmet.  Cheap & easy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#40]
couple questions.

dudes that wear glasses, do you leave the eyecup on or fold it back/remove it?

passive aiming with a dot, I can see the dot, I can see my target, nothing is smacking into the optic or monocular, any other considerations to be made?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
couple questions.

dudes that wear glasses, do you leave the eyecup on or fold it back/remove it?

passive aiming with a dot, I can see the dot, I can see my target, nothing is smacking into the optic or monocular, any other considerations to be made?
View Quote

Remove the eye cup completely regardless of glasses.

Sounds like passive aiming is working fine for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#44]
4d pads
Norotos INVG mount
Norotos Dual Docertail Adaptor
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#45]
This is why I love ARFCOM, learned a bunch in this thread. I have also been using an Airsoft helmet as a nods hanger. I picked up a team wendy Exfil Sar helmet for work. I am impressed with the comfort of it. Looking to upgrade.

After watching the trench warfare in Ukraine, I am beginning to think a ballistic may be in my future. Right now I have neck issues so trying to keep it light. Great info on helmet setups.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is why I love ARFCOM, learned a bunch in this thread. I have also been using an Airsoft helmet as a nods hanger. I picked up a team wendy Exfil Sar helmet for work. I am impressed with the comfort of it. Looking to upgrade.

After watching the trench warfare in Ukraine, I am beginning to think a ballistic may be in my future. Right now I have neck issues so trying to keep it light. Great info on helmet setups.

View Quote

Its pretty glorious having unlimited access to experienced end users and SMEs for basically any topic you can imagine, it makes the learning curve much more gentle for people like me.

I am also in the same boat, this experience has me wanting to keep the bump slick as is for general tasks and put a ballistic helmet together dedicated to shooting/training... I have also never worn a ballistic helmet so that could just be my own ignorance speaking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top