Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2021 10:18:08 PM EDT
Just got my unity mark 2.0 set in the mail. Attached it to my helmet and the ear pro is a bit too low when adjusted all the way up. There isn't much room for it to go up before hitting the helmet. The tips of my ears are poking through the top of the gel cups and the bottom of the ear pro is way below the bottom of my ear.

Helmets a team wendy bump with the 3.0 rail. My head size was right at the top of the Large's adjustment so I followed TWs advice and went with the XL. It is comfortable without the ear pro, but is the larger helmet causing the issue?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Try adding more padding at the top and adjust elsewhere accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^ this. I ghetto rigged my top pad  with some ace bandage and a scrap of thin compressed foam. I'm sure there's an actual set of thicker pads on the market but I'm cheap.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy some better ear pro.  You only get one set of hearing.  Let’s see, you’ve got what looks to be a $300 helmet, $200 light and probably $4k in NODS.  And a $20 set of ear muffs?  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy some better ear pro.  You only get one set of hearing.
View Quote

I double up on ear pro when I'm not using a suppressor, but even if I bought comtacs they'd still be hanging too low. Doesn't fix my issue.

That said I'll try stealing a couple pads out of my loaner helmet and see if that works. I'm sure someone sells thicker pads for the TW.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I double up on ear pro when I'm not using a suppressor, but even if I bought comtacs they'd still be hanging too low. Doesn't fix my issue.

That said I'll try stealing a couple pads out of my loaner helmet and see if that works. I'm sure someone sells thicker pads for the TW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy some better ear pro.  You only get one set of hearing.

Get 4D pads. Like someone else said, it’s like resting your head on a set of nice titties.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps they would work better with ear pro that cost more than $14.99 at walmart?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By :
Perhaps they would work better with ear pro that cost more than $14.99 at walmart?
View Quote

@Redoubt99

I'll take 10 pairs of OD green Howard Leight Impact Sports for $15 ea. My local walmart wants $62 ea. Let me know where to send the money and my shipping address.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Howard-Leight-Impact-Sport-Electronic-Earmuff-Green/16550661
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Redoubt99

I'll take 10 pairs of OD green Howard Leight Impact Sports for $15 ea. My local walmart wants $62 ea. Let me know where to send the money and my shipping address.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Howard-Leight-Impact-Sport-Electronic-Earmuff-Green/16550661
View Quote

You can always buy them direct from Wuhan district
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can always buy them direct from Wuhan district
View Quote

Much harder to resell if you have to wait on them being imported
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same issue. The 4D Pads helped (and are great) but I still had the issue. I ended up getting the Peltor Comtac III and they sit perfectly, with the 4D Pads.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Bend the wires with Jewelers pliers - I had to with Unity MARKs, for a few different brands of earpro. It ain't the Leights exclusively.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Same issue, had to bend the arms until they were tight against my ears. Even then they would flip up while shooting or they would break what little seal they had on my ears.

I bought some RAC links and AXL adapters and the problem went away
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought howard's for the same purpose as OP. After a long search, I couldn't really be convinced that spending $250 on sordin's actually get's me 5X better gear. I'm open to better suggestions, but most of us don't need to integrate a microphone and will double ear pro anyway. Most everything has just as good of an NRR rating as howard's as well. So for what purpose should we avoid these?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bought howard's for the same purpose as OP. After a long search, I couldn't really be convinced that spending $250 on sordin's actually get's me 5X better gear. I'm open to better suggestions, but most of us don't need to integrate a microphone and will double ear pro anyway. Most everything has just as good of an NRR rating as howard's as well. So for what purpose should we avoid these?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, I’ve been considering buying AMPs.

Check out that price tag.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, and if you are very serious about integrating comms, I'm sure it's worthwhile. But it's literally the same NRR rating as the howard's. Cool no doubt, but it's no where near my priority list.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me as well but +$1300 for the full rig is a hard pill to swallow.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I had the same issue with Ops Core bump and Peltor Comtacs.

Wound up ditching the helmet mounted rig and now run under the helmet. Works for me and is more versatile, especially since my Sordins crapped out (second pair) and I'm using the Peltors for everyday range use now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
If you had ARC or MLOK, you could use AXL adapters with AMP Arms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#20]
This may be an unpopular answer, but I wear my ears under my helmet. For me it's more the fact that I don't want to slave my comtacs to a single helmet, but it's never given me a problem, and if you set your helmet pads up to create a channel for the headband it's perfectly comfortable, if admittedly slower to don. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, and if you are very serious about integrating comms, I'm sure it's worthwhile. But it's literally the same NRR rating as the howard's. Cool no doubt, but it's no where near my priority list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are other big bonuses as well. Supposedly the best 3D sound available. Easy to hook a cell phone up to.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This may be an unpopular answer, but I wear my ears under my helmet. For me it's more the fact that I don't want to slave my comtacs to a single helmet, but it's never given me a problem, and if you set your helmet pads up to create a channel for the headband it's perfectly comfortable, if admittedly slower to don. YMMV.
View Quote

I ended up putting the Unity mark and howard leights on my other helmet which is a super-high cut, and it fit perfectly on that. Was comfortable. Combination of issues here, helmet shell is a tad large so my head is higher in the bucket than it should be, pads can fix that, but the Unity mark 2.0 is a little goofy with TW. The geometry of the wires is the same as the 1st gen but it mounts lower and with a sharper angle inward. So much so that it takes a considerable amount of force to stow. The first gen has more upward adjustment and would probably work fine. See comparison pictures below of where it mounts compared to gen 1. My guess is they did this to add more pressure since people were complaining that they'd lose the seal over time from the wire losing tension in the stowed position.

I have some 4D pads on order, I have multiple helmets so I'm curious to see if I can set them up with a channel and try rocking it with the band.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top