Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2023 1:06:12 PM EDT
Testing and parameters are in need of fine tuning but this is a work in progress. I'm thinking if possible 12-15 shots per helmet should be doable. Is there a reduced velocity rifle threat you'd like to see against helmets? This PE from Hwin did OK, but some thought their construction process lacked adhesives? IE the helmet seemed to delaminate rather easily..  Is it worth me cutting it in half at the end?

HWIN UHMWPE NIJ Level IIIA Helmet

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO I think shooting tests are a bit pointless for helmets. It's stupid easy to make an aramid shell that's ballistically sound, but making one that actually functions as a helmet and protects a head against impacts, bumps, falls, etc. is much more difficult and something most of those Chinese clone makers aren't working on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO I think shooting tests are a bit pointless for helmets. It's stupid easy to make an aramid shell that's ballistically sound, but making one that actually functions as a helmet and protects a head against impacts, bumps, falls, etc. is much more difficult and something most of those Chinese clone makers aren't working on.
View Quote

They're not like motorcycle helmets, with controlled-crush zones. The pads/liner/chinstrap are separate components from the shell and you can put your preferred flavor in whatever shell you choose. Shooting them to see what quality of ballistic textile they're using and how well it's pressed and sealed, is certainly valuable.

@Buffman_LT1 have you tested the Fort Scott TUI in other calibers, like .45 or 10mm?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're not like motorcycle helmets, with controlled-crush zones. The pads/liner/chinstrap are separate components from the shell and you can put your preferred flavor in whatever shell you choose. Shooting them to see what quality of ballistic textile they're using and how well it's pressed and sealed, is certainly valuable.

@Buffman_LT1 have you tested the Fort Scott TUI in other calibers, like .45 or 10mm?
View Quote
IIRC the 9mm shape is the only one that promotes it to be worthwhile to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top