Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 12:19:09 PM EDT
Need some help with a helmet decision.

I have a Galvion Caiman Hybrid Carbon Bump Helmet on order currently

been looking at some class requirements and see where some that i am looking into to require a ballistic lid

if i wanted to add ballistic protection to my existing order i can add the ballistic applique to it

all in money wise that is about the same as a galvion or ops core ballistic helmet

weight wise i am adding about 7oz for the modularity

should i go that route?

or would i be better off getting a dedicated ballistic helmet and having 2 set ups

i get the added cost, its in there but long term what would i better off with and is the 7oz or so weight savings worth it.

just a regular guy doing shooting and hunting so i definitely want a light weight carbon option as my primary the ballistic just for class/training requirements  

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe confirm if a bump helmet would be sufficient for the class. Seems like a ballistic helmet probably isn’t necessary for your needs.

I went with a ops core fast ballistic helmet and looking back on it wish I would have went with a bump helmet as I only ever use the thing to run NV and even that is a rare occurrence as I don’t have private land to shoot on. I started out with the thought that more armor the better. but having used the gear I realized heavy gear is impractical for a single person defending a home and not all threats are bullets. Criminals carry knives, hammers, tasers or just their bare hands, for those threats mobility to dodge, deflect and dominate is important and is hard to do when carrying 50 lbs of gears. I am rebuilding by gear and guns to be ultra light / minimalist, all designed around fast reaction civilian home (maybe civil unrest) setup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/NIGHT-VISION-HELMET-RIGS-let-s-see-your-pics-/18-226892/?page=100

I went over a little bit about the gaps on the applique in the night vision helmet rigs thread. Check with your class requirements. They may not even allow it with a hybrid setup with applique due to the coverage gaps and potential liability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top