Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2021 7:40:14 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have an Ops-Core bump helmet on the way and am now thinking about EARS for it.
I would love to pickup a pair of OPS-CORE AMP's but after the helmet and PVS-14 I am short on cash. I also really don't need comms at this time but do want electronic/amplified.

What do you guys recommend? Does anyone run in the ear stuff or should I stick with muffs?
Should I go with a model of Peltor and a kit to run them on the ARC rail?
Any details on make/model/etc. would be really helpful. I'd like to stay around $200 or below if that's possible. If not, I'll save up.

Thanks for the help y'all have given me. I love this forum.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Team Wendy mounts (on sale today).   Generic Peltor hearing protection.   Works for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you can find arms that fit the Howard Leight ear pro. Those can be found pretty cheap, hold up fairly.

I've used the Howard Leights for years, but never helmet mounted. If the arms for them worked the Howard Leights would be your best $$ choice (around $50-75.)
View Quote

This is my current setup. Peltor hardware can be made to work with the Leights with some minor tinkering.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If they'll work with Peltors, they'll work with the Leights.

Trying to recall the exact process, it's been a minute.

It involved pulling the wires out of the black pivot pieces on the Leights, think you might have to trim a tab off the end of the wire. Then you just stick the wires from the adapters into the Leight pivot piece thingies. I believe it's suggested to give a bit of a bend/kink to the end of the wire to maintain some tension. They WILL still slide off if abused a bit, but it's not an issue while in use.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a pair of Peltor 6s that I used for many years that I loved. They finally crapped out earlier this year. I bought a pair of Howard Leights but for some reason I have to mess with them a bunch to get a good seal on my noggin. I bought a pair of Walkers and they fit really well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a pair of Peltor 6s that I used for many years that I loved. They finally crapped out earlier this year. I bought a pair of Howard Leights but for some reason I have to mess with them a bunch to get a good seal on my noggin. I bought a pair of Walkers and they fit really well.
View Quote

Pick up a set of the gel cups for the Leights, game changer as far as seal and comfort.

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pick up a set of the gel cups for the Leights, game changer as far as seal and comfort.

View Quote

Thank You.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
HL plus the Axl amp kit.

Night and day difference on comfort.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I got the whole amp kit and it's a nice package but the arms are what stands out. Shifts the weight of your helmet rearward allowing less counterweight and the way they clamp on my head adds a lot of stability over all. There's some threads recently on adapters to fit the arms to different headsets.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help y'all have given me. I love this forum.
View Quote

You'll love it even more after you learn how to search it effectively.  That's the best help we can give you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ops+core+bump+howard+leightsite:ar15.com

Click the first hit.  $25 plus a set of Howard Leights and you're off to the races.  I've had my setup for a year now.  Nothing but good things to say.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'll love it even more after you learn how to search it effectively.  That's the best help we can give you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ops+core+bump+howard+leightsite:ar15.com

Click the first hit.  $25 plus a set of Howard Leights and you're off to the races.  I've had my setup for a year now.  Nothing but good things to say.

https://i.imgur.com/PrVyeKK.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. I don't use Google which could be part of the problem. Plus I like to see what others here recommend along with their personal feedback. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I ran the cable for the HL's over the top of
the helmet to act as a retainer and secured
it with hook & loop to my helmet cover. The
HL's have never slid off the wires.

I need to buy the gel cups.

Quoted:
If they'll work with Peltors, they'll work with the Leights.

Trying to recall the exact process, it's been a minute.

It involved pulling the wires out of the black pivot pieces on the Leights, think you might have to trim a tab off the end of the wire. Then you just stick the wires from the adapters into the Leight pivot piece thingies. I believe it's suggested to give a bit of a bend/kink to the end of the wire to maintain some tension. They WILL still slide off if abused a bit, but it's not an issue while in use.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I ran the cable for the HL's over the top of
the helmet to act as a retainer and secured
it with hook & loop to my helmet cover. The
HL's have never slid off the wires.

I need to buy the gel cups.
View Quote

@Johnny_C
What helmet and size are you wearing?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#17]

That's the one. Strongly recommend.

They have the kit with arms for 175$. With a cheap  headset it's a little more than you were looking to spend but worth it imo.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's the one. Strongly recommend.

They have the kit with arms for 175$. With a cheap  headset it's a little more than you were looking to spend but worth it imo.
View Quote

My HL fit so much better. They actually cover my ears vs trying to hit the top of the helmet. They also stow much easier and don't wear out the gel cups as fast.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#20]
AMPs are the way.  I’ve used Peltors, Comtac, HL, etc.  None compare to the AMP.   This is doubly true if you use the NFML plugs.  The directionality is superb.  The integration with comms is flawless.  The mounts are seamless.  

Yes, expensive, but what is your hearing worth.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think you can find arms that fit the Howard Leight ear pro. Those can be found pretty cheap, hold up fairly.

I've used the Howard Leights for years, but never helmet mounted. If the arms for them worked the Howard Leights would be your best $$ choice (around $50-75.)
View Quote
$80.84 for HL and arms delivered to your doorstep....5 bucks less if you don't pick multicam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top