User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 3:25:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow! Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel for the guy but this would fall under all guns are loaded all the time. Technology will never replace common sense gun safety. They are always loaded they are always cocked never point them at things you like. You know the things our fathers and grandfathers hammered into our brains as children.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
As a traditional side lock guy, why would I even want an electronic thingy as described  ? Not trying to be sparky, I don't get its purpose and why someone thought it was a good idea
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it was the electronic thingy that failed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
We had a customer bring one of these rifles into a gun store I used to work at.
It was in her recently deceased father's home and she wanted to learn how to use it.
While it was new and unfired, the manual and some basic tools were missing.
Was able to find a manual online and printed it out for her.

She was a shooter/hunter but was brand new to black powder hunting.
We went through the manual together and I remember thinking that this was not a good way for her to learn muzzle loading.
I was gratified to hear her say the same thing.

Those pictures are horrific.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a traditional side lock guy, why would I even want an electronic thingy as described  ? Not trying to be sparky, I don't get its purpose and why someone thought it was a good idea
View Quote
Not having to buy caps/209 primers is kind of neat as is a fast locktime.

I would only trust it if if has a shorting plug across the spark plug as a safety.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Black powder can be ignited by static electricity.

I remember reading about a guy up in New England  that had been out black powder hunting in his snow mobile suit (nylon in those days).  He came home, got off the snow mobile and was standing in the yard talking to a neighbor.  He, foolishly, set the stock down on his boot and rested his wrists across the muzzle of the rifle.  As he stood there talking he was moving around some with the nylon rubbing against' itself here and there.  Suddenly the muzzle loader fired, putting the lead ball/bullet through both wrists.  

I have no idea of the extent of the injuries, just that the investigation concluded the black powder was ignited by static electricity as the hammer was not cocked and the trigger was a few feet down from his hands at the time it fired.

Yeah, don't let the muzzle point at anything you don't want a hole in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Black powder can be ignited by static electricity.

I remember reading about a guy up in New England  that had been out black powder hunting in his snow mobile suit (nylon in those days).  He came home, got off the snow mobile and was standing in the yard talking to a neighbor.  He, foolishly, set the stock down on his boot and rested his wrists across the muzzle of the rifle.  As he stood there talking he was moving around some with the nylon rubbing against' itself here and there.  Suddenly the muzzle loader fired, putting the lead ball/bullet through both wrists.  

I have no idea of the extent of the injuries, just that the investigation concluded the black powder was ignited by static electricity as the hammer was not cocked and the trigger was a few feet down from his hands at the time it fired.

Yeah, don't let the muzzle point at anything you don't want a hole in.
View Quote
I wonder if it was a flintlock, or the cap had been pulled.

A charged ML with a cap on doesn't really have a path for static to get to the charge, it is surrounded by metal in basically a faraday cage. Cap is metal on metal the nipple.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would only trust it if if has a shorting plug across the spark plug as a safety.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go through all the steps needed to make my own caps before I'd buy one of those. Electricity in a gun? Pass!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty neat idea, apparently poor execution.

Glad the fella only lost half a foot rather than someone he loved or his life.

Remington's Etronix primer system didn't take off, and BATFE declared Voere's electrically ignited caseless rounds to be explosives, killing it in the US.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll go through all the steps needed to make my own caps before I'd buy one of those. Electricity in a gun? Pass!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Electrical priming seems to work fine in all our tank cannons, 20mm Vulcans, etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of these things.
Original idea was to graft it into an ar15 so that I could be the only kid on the block with a muzzle loading ar15.
But I liked the thing the way it was so didn't try it.
I shot it only once and it was uneventful.

I am sorry the dood lost his foot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top