Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2023 10:01:50 PM EDT
Drop in your AR lower and choice of bufferless upper.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Why didn't they just make it a lower receiver, rather than adapt it to Rube Goldberg up to your existing AR lower receiver?  

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why didn't they just make it a lower receiver, rather than adapt it to Rube Goldberg up to your existing AR lower receiver?  

View Quote

That would be much better functionally, but much riskier from a biz standpoint.

-They have to become a licensed firearms manufacturer
-They can no longer just sell parts through the mail (like this) but have to deal with FFLs, slowing sales
-Lots of people have AR lowers (including many in now Ban states) and so might prefer to use their current lowers
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

-They can no longer just sell parts through the mail (like this) but have to deal with FFLs, slowing sales
-Lots of people have AR lowers (including many in now Ban states) and so might prefer to use their current lowers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a lot of hyper behind the SCY and now this, it's only a matter of time before somebody makes a dedicated lower.

There are already a couple of 3d print designs out there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The micro version really needs some sort of P90 style integral foregrip.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With a lot of hyper behind the SCY and now this, it's only a matter of time before somebody makes a dedicated lower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3D printed one is extremely promising looking, and also quite lightweight.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm.  Seems short enough that the back end of it could nestle into the inside crook of the elbow by design and not the shoulder!

Similar to the Bushmaster pistol of years gone by.  Not sure if the Automatic Transmission Fluid guys would agree - but nothing they ssy is consistent for long anyway.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Its an interesting concept, and the drop-in nature caters to people who might already have an SBR'ed lower. It really needs a kind of integrated / angled grip in the front like the Desert Tech MDRX Micron.

I think this will be 100% price dependent. If it is on the cheaper side, I could see it selling well. If it is like ridiculously expensive then it will be a short-lived gimmick like pretty much every other bullpup conversion kit that has come and gone.

And just so I can drag out an old meme from the Stribog bullpup thread:

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The micro version really needs some sort of P90 style integral foregrip.

https://i.ibb.co/pKHjbNn/p90-mod-a3.jpg
View Quote

If someone over there is thinking things through, the should really make their own handguard for the 9” FM15 similar to the handguard SLR is making. 13-15” or so but flare it at the 8” measurement to 1.8” ID so tuck a suppressors and have the room to mount a forgrip. It would benefit the sales of the chassis, and would likely sell as a standalone for FM15 uppers as well.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#9]
You can use an Anderson lower and nobody will ever know
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It’s an interesting concept, and the drop-in nature caters to people who might already have an SBR'ed lower.
View Quote

With the brace “ruling” and the amnesty stamp, I’d imagine the market is primed for this. The FM15 may not be super popular, but just imagine all BRN180 and JAKL pistols that were out there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#11]
That’s an 11.25” upper. This is definitely growing on me.

The FM uppers can also use standard AR barrels with minor modification to the barrel or by opening up the oe barrel nut, so running other calibers is possible.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I need one of these.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't seen any of their social media posts about this, have they given any sort of expected delivery window or is this just them testing the waters?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't seen any of their social media posts about this, have they given any sort of expected delivery window or is this just them testing the waters?
View Quote

First Q of 2024.

It also sounds like they have plans for larger ID FM15 handguards in the works as well. Tuck a suppressor on a shorty while adding more railestate.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think there's a compatible bcg system for my .458 SOCOM?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#16]
It be cool if someone made a left hand ejection AR-bufferless upper ...
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I need one of these.
View Quote

I think I need several
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it use a proprietary carrier? The FM15 takes milspec bolts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The FM uppers can also use standard AR barrels with minor modification to the barrel or by opening up the oe barrel nut, so running other calibers is possible.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/IMG_8234-2840862.jpg
View Quote

Oh man that looks spectacular.

Whats the OAL with the 11.25"?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust the FM15 with 458/Big Bore.

This area would be the weak link for sure no? The end of the recoil spring assembly is steel and it slides into a groove in an aluminum receiver. Just wondering if it would cause the receiver to crack over time.

Attachment Attached File

I'm wondering if this is the reason they haven't officially released 300 black/7.62x39 Yet? They teased the later a few years back and it still isn't out.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This area would be the weak link for sure no? The end of the recoil spring assembly is steel and it slides into a groove in an aluminum receiver. Just wondering if it would cause the receiver to crack over time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/horman_fm15zukov-5_jpg-2841542.JPG

I'm wondering if this is the reason they haven't officially released 300 black/7.62x39 Yet? They teased the later a few years back and it still isn't out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/horman_fm15zukov-5_jpg-2841542.JPG

They mentioned that with their new rock n lock lower they plan on releasing other soviet calibers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/IMG_8234-2840862.jpg
View Quote

I need two and I need them now.*

*(read: when they're ready)
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I need two and I need them now.*

*(read: when they're ready)
View Quote

That exact setup, plus a can and a Modtac suppressor shield would be amazing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]
They teased a handguard cover on their insta.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm thinking the 10.5" 3000blk CMMG dissent upper with a pinned 6" can would be the chef's kiss here if it gets over 26 inches overall length.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Whole lot more info along with pricing is now up on A3Tactical's site.

A3Tactical

It's looking good though and pricing seems fair.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#27]
That is very appealing.

As far as the compatible bufferless uppers, is there any consensus of one being superior to the others?

I have a spare lower that I'd like to use for an SBR with this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#28]
So I would have to provide the bufferless upper, a bolt catch setup, and a stripped lower?

Does the stripped lower have to be a pistol to go into the pistol cfg?

I was looking at the FM15 gen 2 maybe...
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So I would have to provide the bufferless upper, a bolt catch setup, and a stripped lower?

View Quote

If you bought a stripped lower in the last like 10 years, it was transferred as "other" to you; it can be pistol or rifle. You just can't build it as a rifle first and then decide it's a pistol - it needs to be either virgin stripped state (heh) or it needs to have been built out as a pistol first. Yeah, dumb, but...ATF gonna ATF.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you bought a stripped lower in the last like 10 years, it was transferred as "other" to you; it can be pistol or rifle. You just can't build it as a rifle first and then decide it's a pistol - it needs to be either virgin stripped state (heh) or it needs to have been built out as a pistol first. Yeah, dumb, but...ATF gonna ATF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure I don't have one at the moment but while digging around I found an unused KX3 that is 3 1/4". Would hate to pin and weld that just to hit the OAL but I'll keep digging. I could have sworn I have another flash can hiding somewhere.

oooooooooooooooor go to the pistol?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Or spend the $60 to buy a new stripped receiver?
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm torn between a 300blk or a 9mm upper. I have an SBR lower that's sitting without a mate at the moment.

And if I do go with a 300, I don't know weather I want the JAKL, BRN, or if I want to convert a FM-15. At least I've got a few months to figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whole lot more info along with pricing is now up on A3Tactical's site.

A3Tactical

It's looking good though and pricing seems fair.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-iv9a8pp5ge/images/stencil/1280w/carousel/128/20230926_105028.jpg?c=1
View Quote

I think this is a perfect size. The handguard overhangs just enough for the compact grip/handstop. Only problem is it’s a BRN upper. I definitely want a FM15, but the 9” FM15 is just a little too short and looks funky.

I just purchased one of the 11.25” FM-15 uppers. I’m going to cut the hand guard down and swap in a 10” or 10.5” 300blk barrel. I’d love to use the BA 10.3” Hanson barrel, but I think the taper after the gas block on their pistol gas barrels is too long to work with the FM15 barrel nut.

Or I do the same thing, but use the .223 Wylde 10.3” BA Hanson barrel. My current go to SBR is an 8” suppressed 5.56. It would make more sense to keep the Triad upper in 5.56 for practical ballistic reasons as I need to have a 10”+ barrel on it anyway, and just change my other SBR over to 300blk.

But a 300blk the size of a P90 is also cool. Ugh!
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
$700? unfortunate pricing. your gun will end up being the same cost of a factory bullpup, and that's if you use budget parts.
a duty grade AR with this kit will cost alot more than most bullpups.

this is a two piece chassis. aluminum for the trigger & grip, and plastic for the part on the lower receiver.
kind of odd honestly. they are connected at the thinnest part of the chassis by a screw.
durability needs to be tested. this thing seems overly complex for what it is. the SCY bullpup chassis is one piece and $200 cheaper.
bascially the only advantage the A3 offers over the SCY is it has a built in buttpad. that's not worth $200.
if the thing was completely polymer with a thumbhole grip, it would be way stronger.
compare this to a complete milspec kp15 lower priced at $200. they're both injection molded,
and the triad doesn't have a buffer system. so how did they end up with something 3.5x more expensive?

MAYBE $300 would be fair. i think this is just a monopoly situation. there's only 1 altarnative, and it's a bit more jank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top