Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2018 6:26:49 PM EDT
I bought a Marlin 1895 .45-70 during the Walmart deal a while back. I've always dug the Guide Guns but the deal was just too good to pass up on the 22" barrel. I had considered selling it locally and trading up to a GG or another blaster that caught my eye, but for the past bit my lust has moved even further...I kinda want a 16" barreled .45-70 more than a factory guide for some odd reason. I think mainly because I saw this picture below and my trousers got snug. Fo or leave it alone Bubba?

Photo credited to the guy who owns it and whatnot.

Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want it, Fo!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Was planning on chopping mine to 18.5. I think it looks more balanced
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]

This rifle started life as Guide Gun with ports.  I cut the barrel to a little over 16”.  It’s a great rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that what u want?  Do it.

Seems pretty useful to me.  I love short and light
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Check Grabagun.com. Seen one new for sale for around 400 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I blacked out, sold my Marlin to a nice older gentleman yesterday during my lunch break, came back to the office and immediately ordered an 1895 GBL. F*** it, we'll do it live!

Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171345/85B0B411-3EB7-4AE6-A020-A3B652AD451C-402153.jpg
This rifle started life as Guide Gun with ports.  I cut the barrel to a little over 16”.  It’s a great rifle.
View Quote
That is a good looking blaster!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I cut one of mine to 16" and like it so much I'm going to do a SBR.

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#9]
About 30 years ago I bought a new Marlin 444 with 22" barrel. I took it
straight to my gunsmith and had him cut it to 16.25" and install a
Pachmyer decelerator. I put a 1.5 x 4 scope on it and it was a tack
driver.  I think they are much handier once "cut down".
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was planning on chopping mine to 18.5. I think it looks more balanced
View Quote
So mine's at class 3 machining at the moment and on a whim I decided to go with 16.5" instead. So excited!
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So mine's at class 3 machining at the moment and on a whim I decided to go with 16.5" instead. So excited!
View Quote
Deeeee-cent.

My GBL arrived last week and it sure is pretty. I looked for all the Remlin ghosts and didn't find any. Took it to the range, extractor tension seems off which not only doesn't allow the round to chamber properly at random, but has ruined about, oh all, of my brass cases for any future use. New extractor on the way from Marlin, fingers crossed that fixes me. I'd rather give them a chance to make this thing work with stock parts before I go all bubba with the screwdriver "tuning" it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a stainless JM guide gun & a 22" barreled remlin that i got for a price too good to pass up. Both run great.
After seeing the posted photos of the 16" barreled guns i have to have one (I recently have been suffering from a terrible case of "Lever Action Trapper Disease")
Recommend me a good Smith who does lever action work  that can cut/crown her down/dovetail the front sight, etc..: with a fast turnaround time, who won't make me feel like a rape victim when i hear the price.
+ what should the work cost?
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on the GBL I did the same thing Probably should have just gotten the cheaper guide since I want to shorten and thread it and it would be a lot easier with no mag tube modification but I am not a huge fan of the straight stock and wanted a big loop. New trapper looks good but I am sure it will be spendy just like the SBL. Maybe the new threaded 357 will be on the list down the road.

Quoted:
Check Grabagun.com. Seen one new for sale for around 400 bucks.
View Quote
What do you consider around @Chipper44mag ? They had guide guns for $485 recently but I haven't seen one near $400 in a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top