Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2018 8:43:29 AM EDT
Curious as to anyone's opinion of the Mossberg 464? In theory it's a copy-ish of the Winchester 94, made in the USA, and has a side loading gate... MSRP is cheaper than the Henry...
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Good rifle, dependable but nothing special. It is my cabin rifle. Works, no frills, and doesn’t mind any scratches.

Will never be a collector but works every time and cycles every type of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good rifle, dependable but nothing special. It is my cabin rifle. Works, no frills, and doesn’t mind any scratches.

Will never be a collector but works every time and cycles every type of ammo.
View Quote
That is exactly the review I was looking for. I want "nothing special" rifle in this case. Just one that works everytime.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my walnut, pistol grip stocked, 464 NIB 6 yrs ago after the extractor issue was resolved and I'm very happy with it. 40+ years ago I had both a Win 94 and a Marlin 336 but sold them to fund kids and expenses.  Never really liked either as the Win's action and trigger were too floppy and the Marlin was too bulky. Now with some 500 rds through my 464, I can honestly say it's a winner.  It's still rock stock as it came with great Marbles sights and is GTG right out of the box.  It's surprisingly accurate for a levergun, has a pretty decent trigger, a crisp but smooth action (after break-in) without the floppy feel of the Winchester, and a very nice feel without the bulkiness of the Marlin, great balance.  All around, I think it's a great value and a very enjoyable shooter.

Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got my walnut, pistol grip stocked, 464 NIB 6 yrs ago after the extractor issue was resolved and I'm very happy with it. 40+ years ago I had both a Win 94 and a Marlin 336 but sold them to fund kids and expenses.  Never really liked either as the Win's action and trigger were too floppy and the Marlin was too bulky. Now with some 500 rds through my 464, I can honestly say it's a winner.  It's still rock stock as it came with great Marbles sights and is GTG right out of the box.  It's surprisingly accurate for a levergun, has a pretty decent trigger, a crisp but smooth action (after break-in) without the floppy feel of the Winchester, and a very nice feel without the bulkiness of the Marlin, great balance.  All around, I think it's a great value and a very enjoyable shooter.

https://i.imgur.com/bwBCzpz.jpg?1
View Quote
How do 'feel' about the tang safety? ISsue or not, is it a safety that resets itself every time you work the action? I do not mind a safety in that location as my first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 (have now had that gun for 36 years) and I am a left hander to boot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How do 'feel' about the tang safety? ISsue or not, is it a safety that resets itself every time you work the action? I do not mind a safety in that location as my first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 (have now had that gun for 36 years) and I am a left hander to boot.
View Quote
While I prefer a half cock such as is on my 2 Rossi 92s and my Uberti '66 and '73, the safety on the Mossberg is not obtrusive at all.  And no, it doesn't reset after you fire it.  It's off till you slide it on so it's pretty much out of the way and unused.  While the Mossburg has a rebounding hammer, it doesn't have that awful feel of the Winchester rebounding triggers and it's actually pretty nice for a levergun.

The total package from the sights, the slim lines, the balance, and the light recoil when you fire makes for a nice little "thudy-thudy".  As to accuracy, I use it as primarily a plinker and fun gun and with some plinkin' handloads I make up for it, I shoot at bowling pins at 200 yds with it.  Great fun and good practice to "aim small, miss small".  If you get one, I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had one for several years, great rifle. Not a fan of the rear sight, I need to pick up a peep sight for it at some point.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had one for several years, great rifle. Not a fan of the rear sight, I need to pick up a peep sight for it at some point.
View Quote
I saw that Skinner makes a rear sight for the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
XS too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top