Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2020 2:02:59 AM EDT
Oregon passed that stupid law requiring all firearms to go through background checks which means if you have warranty work done, it can’t be shipped back to you. It has to go through a dealer as a transfer and a background check performed. Which sucks because you’re out a transfer fee every time this happens.

With an NFA item, how would this work? I assume it would have to go through a dealer as well before being returned to you. Has anyone gone through this yet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Oregon passed that stupid law requiring all firearms to go through background checks which means if you have warranty work done, it can’t be shipped back to you. It has to go through a dealer as a transfer and a background check performed. Which sucks because you’re out a transfer fee every time this happens.

With an NFA item, how would this work? I assume it would have to go through a dealer as well before being returned to you. Has anyone gone through this yet?
View Quote
Damn that's crazy. What about if you have face to face transfers with the company that is doing the work?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn that's crazy. What about if you have face to face transfers with the company that is doing the work?
View Quote
Honestly, I have no idea. At this point, I'm just assuming any time something changes hands, it has to go through a background check ($10 fee) to get back to you, plus a transfer fee if it's being received from another FFL.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
someone more knowledgeable will chime in but when i sent my dead air can in for warranty work it went into a box with prepaid shipping label and a copy of the form 4 straight to GA, work got done, and straight back to my place of residence
i don't think a FFL is necessary to send and receive suppressors if they are going to the manufacturer for warranty work
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I would not be participating in that
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why would you need a background check?  No transfer is taking place.  From you to the manufacturer, then right back to your house.

You really can't involve a dealer, as if they're involved a transfer is taking place.
View Quote
This has been my experience with a manufacturer here. Not sure why OP “thinks this.”
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This has been my experience with a manufacturer here. Not sure why OP “thinks this.”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would you need a background check?  No transfer is taking place.  From you to the manufacturer, then right back to your house.

You really can't involve a dealer, as if they're involved a transfer is taking place.
The 4473 is done at the very end of obtaining the suppressor to put it into your possession. If a 4473 is required for everything else upon returning from warranty work, the question is simply, would it be required for the suppressor as well?

If you had warranty work done after 2015/16 then I assume it was mailed directly back to you and this is a non issue, answering my question.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The state law is so poorly written that it wouldn't surprise me if it required involving a dealer. It's been a pain in the ass for non NFA items, and as I'm just getting into NFA, I didn't know if I could expect the same level of absurdity on this side of the fence as well. I fully understand it is not this complicated anywhere else.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The 4473 is done at the very end of obtaining the suppressor to put it into your possession. If a 4473 is required for everything else upon returning from warranty work, the question is simply, would it be required for the suppressor as well?

If you had warranty work done after 2015/16 then I assume it was mailed directly back to you and this is a non issue, answering my question.
View Quote
Yes. As per the manufacturer/SOT.

And the 4473 isn’t even called in, just retained for the dealers records. (For a form 4)
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes. As per the manufacturer/SOT.
View Quote
Awesome. Thank you. That makes it so much easier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Who is telling you this? Cause I'm pretty sure they are wrong. I had a KAC lower that was out of spec and sent it in to them. They sent me a new lower to my residence as a replacement without needing a 4473... I have also had other items shipped back to manufacturers for repair or replacement, and it was a non-issue...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who is telling you this? Cause I'm pretty sure they are wrong. I had a KAC lower that was out of spec and sent it in to them. They sent me a new lower to my residence as a replacement without needing a 4473... I have also had other items shipped back to manufacturers for repair or replacement, and it was a non-issue...
View Quote
It was in 2019 and it was Aero Precision, and confirmed by Oregon Rifleworks for warranty work on a receiver.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I shipped a suppressor back to TacSol in 2019 for service and it came right back to my door again, no problems at all and no transfer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It was in 2019 and it was Aero Precision, and confirmed by Oregon Rifleworks for warranty work on a receiver.
View Quote
Not my experience with Bowers. It’s probably the FFL holder being overly cautious because of the way they interpret the verbiage of our states anti 2A law.  I’d call the specific manufacture to see what their policy is.

ETA: Like when FFL’s won’t deal with CA, NY, or C&R
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top