Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2019 10:21:18 AM EDT
Those of you that sell a lot of used handguns that don’t come with locks already;

Where do you get locks cheap to provide to handgun purchasers?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Those of you that sell a lot of used handguns that don’t come with locks already;

View Quote
Why do you need one?....

But I guess of you absolutley do here's a cheap one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/FSDC-California-DOJ-Approved-Keyed-Cable/dp/B010IBDS04/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=handgun+safety+lock&qid=1573137566&sprefix=handgun+safety+&sr=8-17
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those of you that sell a lot of used handguns that don't come with locks already;

Why do you need one?....

But I guess of you absolutley do here's a cheap one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/FSDC-California-DOJ-Approved-Keyed-Cable/dp/B010IBDS04/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=handgun+safety+lock&qid=1573137566&sprefix=handgun+safety+&sr=8-17
https://www.atf.gov/file/84821/download

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-does-child-safety-lock-act-2005-csla-require-licensee

I usually just buy them off of Amazon, Ive looked at my distributors and it's about the same price either way. I will look around on Amazon and figure out what the best deal is.

I have to buy the CA DOJ approved locks, so I have to pay a bit more. There are allot of FFL's that gouge folks in my AO for the locks, CA also has a law that you either need to sign a Safe affidavit or have purchased a lock with in 30 days with a receipt.

Some of the dealers won't even let folks sign a safe Affidavit or present a receipt for a lock. They instead double the price of the locks and make every customer purchase one. I personally think thats a dick move. I only charge customers what I paid for the lock plus sales tax.

It's paid off in terms of satisfied customers and repeat business.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.atf.gov/file/84821/download

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-does-child-safety-lock-act-2005-csla-require-licensee

I usually just buy them off of Amazon, Ive looked at my distributors and it's about the same price either way. I will look around on Amazon and figure out what the best deal is.

I have to buy the CA DOJ approved locks, so I have to pay a bit more. There are allot of FFL's that gouge folks in my AO for the locks, CA also has a law that you either need to sign a Safe affidavit or have purchased a lock with in 30 days with a receipt.

Some of the dealers won't even let folks sign a safe Affidavit or present a receipt for a lock. They instead double the price of the locks and make every customer purchase one. I personally think thats a dick move. I only charge customers what I paid for the lock plus sales tax.

It's paid off in terms of satisfied customers and repeat business.
View Quote
interesting....i have bought a used handguns from dealers and never gotten a lock....i think they just kinda handed me my MKII when i bought it lol....ill check my W. German 226 i bought box and see if there is a lock in there.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Check with your local PD. Project ChildSafe from the NSSF makes free locks available to PD's. Often they sit in a closet. Ask for some.
2. ATF regs/Federal law says the dealer must "provide". That means the lock or safe storage device can be sold or given for free.
3. It doesn't mean the customer must walk out the door with it. Often I have customers pull that crappy lock out of the box and give it to me.
4. The plastic box if lockable, is a secure storage device.
5. So are guns with an integrated lock (hello S&W)

(34)The term “secure gun storage or safety device” means—
(A)a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device;
(B)a device incorporated into the design of the firearm that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device; or
(C)a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box, or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination, or other similar means.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a couple of hundred of them about 2 years ago from our local Sheriff's office, they just gave them to me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Every used gun I've ever bought never came with a lock. Every new gun always came with a lock. Not sure if it's a requirement to provide locks on used guns...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.....Not sure if it's a requirement to provide locks on used guns...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
.....Not sure if it's a requirement to provide locks on used guns...
Not sure?
Did you read the link above?
What does the Child Safety Lock Act of 2005 (CSLA) require of a licensee?
When selling, delivering, or transferring a handgun to any person other than another licensee, any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer must provide a secure gun storage or safety device to that person for the handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 922(z)]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]
At my last inspection from atf (first one) the Inspector asked me if I had locks to give out etc when i was required to. He just wanted to be sure I had a few on hand

Anyways he told me to contact NSSF and/or the local police/sheriff/Leo dept. they should be able to give you a few or a bunch depending on the stock they have from the previous grants which alllowed them to give them out for free

But if that doesn’t work for you. You can purchase them online. Quick eBay search I found 2pack for $8 shipped.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]
There a lot of sellers on ebay that sell them in bulk, both keyed and combination locks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
..... I found 2pack for $8 shipped.
View Quote
$4 each?  Thats waaay to much to pay.

Gun locks on Alibaba

Zanders has these for .99ea
Attachment Attached File

RSR has these for $1.75ea
Attachment Attached File

And CA approved for $2.69ea
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol well I did say “quick search” I wasn’t going to put that much effort for that
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting, thank you all for the input. I'll call around to some PDs and check out my distributors' offerings a little closer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top