Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 4:46:30 PM EDT
A while back was a tread about making hand grenades  and having a part register with the batf.

Where can I get a real Deactivated one that has the firing  pin and Springs  

Another question.  A deactivated grenades  is OK to own  but how far can one go with one before it becomes a DD by Batf standards?  I have a few ideas but want to keep things 100% legal.

Can one use it as a smoke canister filled only with smoke mixand open base?
Can  one use less then the 1/4 oz of explosive  mix (with the open base to keep from blowing up)  for noise maker?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
They sell expended M228 fuze assemblies from training grenades all the time. They can be had with the spring and striker intact. They could be reloaded.

If what you make contains less than 0.25 oz of explosives, and cannot harm personnel, then I wouldn't expect it to be considered a DD. If you're going to come up with something new/unusual, you could submit your design to BATFE for classification.

A smoke grenade is still just a smoke grenade, regardless of appearance.

These guys couldn't think of any reason a live M228 fuze would be a DD in 2008: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Would_an_M69_training_grenade_be_legal_for_civilian_ownership_/5-801057/
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A while back was a tread about making hand grenades  and having a part register with the batf.

Where can I get a real Deactivated one that has the firing  pin and Springs  

Another question.  A deactivated grenades  is OK to own  but how far can one go with one before it becomes a DD by Batf standards?  I have a few ideas but want to keep things 100% legal.

Can one use it as a smoke canister filled only with smoke mixand open base?
Can  one use less then the 1/4 oz of explosive  mix (with the open base to keep from blowing up)  for noise maker?
View Quote

It all depends on INTENT and INTENT is always INTERPRETED by the BATFE.

If someone makes a SMOKE grenade but uses a prefragmented metal liner (constituting an Anti-Personnel intent), the INTENT of a SMOKE grenade is really open to interpretation.

As far as regulations go there are many things regulated that are lower than the 1/4 oz level: Electric Matches are a great example.

I cannot easily buy electric matches without supplying a federal explosives license/permit or producing a MEMO on official letterhead signed by the executive branch official for a municipality, or executive director for a Federal entity (Commander or Colonel on an Army base).

Its a bit ridiculous, and asking the BATFE puts you on their radar.

Asking local bomb squads gets you the shoulder shrug and they direct you to the BATFE guy.

Its a bit of a legal conundrum, which I don't think the BATFE is all in a hurry to clarify as Explosives Industry is in compliance with BATFE directives to LIMIT sales to non-FEL holders.

Good luck,

Will
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is my intent.
I have a muzzle device that holds a grenade. You use blanks to fire it.

What I am thinking about being able to use it and a hollow out grenade filled with smoke mix.launch them in field and use the smoke to see where they land. Or just trowing them by hand

My total intent is recreation only. The only thing over the hole in the bottom will be tape to keep in the smoke mix.

The. Other thing I was thinking trying is using an old case with small amount of powder in it and crimped around a fuse.  Just enough to make a bang and leave the hole open so no chance of pressure building up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It is not what your intent is. It is what they think your intent may be!  I would say that if it is safe, you think it's legal, on your own property, doesn't draw attention, and is not recorded, you will probably be ok. If you annoy your neighbors don't do it. If it isn't on your property don't do it. Don't let anyone record your shenanigans. Definitely don't do it if there is any chance of hunting someone or damaging someone elses property.

I may sound like a safety sally, but if you have to ask, you probably already know the official answer.  You just want someone to tell you what you want to hear, not what they should tell you.

If you own a 5000 acre ranch in the desert, go ahead and find out what a 20lb jug of tannerite does to a ford bronco. If you live on a 1/4 acre with neighbors don't set off a 7lb smoke bomb. Use common sense.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
What I am planning  on doing (if I even do it)   should be 100% legal and if it be done it  will be  done on a small scale, but nothing is simple with at one minute everything is legal  and the next is becomes illegal  depending on their mood at the time man how much they want you.  

The reason I asked is to see if anyone has tried this or heard some ruling at posted.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is my intent.
I have a muzzle device that holds a  training anti-personnel grenade. You use blanks to launch / project / fire it.

What I am thinking about being able to use it and a hollowed out training anti-personnel grenade filled with improvised energetic material which may smoke mix.  launch them in field which may also act as a projected incendiary device and use the smoke to see where they land. Or just trowing them by hand

My total intent is recreation only. The only thing over the hole in the bottom will be tape to keep in the improvised energetic material which may smoke mix.

The. Other thing I was thinking trying is using an old training anti-personnel Hand Grenade case with small amount of powder in it and crimped around a improvised energetic material & home made or reactivated  fuse.  Just enough to make a bang and leave the hole open so no chance of pressure building up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Here is my intent.
I have a muzzle device that holds a  training anti-personnel grenade. You use blanks to launch / project / fire it.

What I am thinking about being able to use it and a hollowed out training anti-personnel grenade filled with improvised energetic material which may smoke mix.  launch them in field which may also act as a projected incendiary device and use the smoke to see where they land. Or just trowing them by hand

My total intent is recreation only. The only thing over the hole in the bottom will be tape to keep in the improvised energetic material which may smoke mix.

The. Other thing I was thinking trying is using an old training anti-personnel Hand Grenade case with small amount of powder in it and crimped around a improvised energetic material & home made or reactivated  fuse.  Just enough to make a bang and leave the hole open so no chance of pressure building up.
Re-using or re-purposing a TRAINING Anti-Personnel Hand Grenade to simulate a signal munition?  Not a good idea, despite your best intentions.

Thats just my read on it, I agree with this:

Quoted:
It is not what your intent is. It is what they think your intent may be!
Grenades with holes in the bottom, also known as the M69 Training Grenade is a heavy cased body used to simulate the M67 Hand Grenade in size and WEIGHT.

They both weigh about 14 ounces.  So anything you ADD to an M69 body is going to increase the weight of the grenade and possibly go beyond the designed limits of whatever launcher or cup and blank propelling cartridge.

Good Luck.

~Will
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a bunch of the M228 fuzes a while back and made my own version of a M69 trainer out of 3" aluminum bar.  Turned down a rough profile and bored out and threaded one end.  
Unfortunately they were bought from Ohio Ordnance Works who had bought them from a no-no source.  ATF came and picked up what I had left.
It was fun while it lasted though

Unfortunately my pic won't show up for some reason
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Another failed attempt.pic
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Please send me the link(s) for your pics, or email them. I'll help you get them posted.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top