Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 2/7/2018 7:15:13 PM EDT
Getting back into M16 stuff.  I tried searching but had no luck.  It is my understanding that Woff makes an extra power for the hard primers of steel cased ammo.  There is a disclaimer that this spring is for semi only.  I was running some steel cased weekend before last.  With a standard hammer spring I got definite primer strikes but some would not go off on a single hit but would with a second.  Any suggestions?

Secondly, Lakeside Machine used to do lighted hammer and disconnector springs for .22lr conversions.  Any suggestion where I can get lighter hammer and disconnector springs for M16 conversion to use with an old Ciener kit?  Thank you for you time.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Only upper my machineguns would have light strikes on was the 5.45x39 firing 7N6 russki surplus. If I wanted that upper to run best, I had to put the extra power hammer spring in the lower it was on. In 5.56x45, all my rifles, full and semi auto ate up the steel cased stuff (barnaul and silver/brown bear) without a problem.

I never had a problem running the extra power spring in full auto. I guess it does put more force on the auto sear (thus its pin and its holes), due to the extra spring tension, but this didn't cause any problems or wear that I was able to notice.

I have no source for the lakeside stuff, but there are a LOT of reduced-power hammer springs out there. You could also try to bend one or both legs of a standard hammer spring to reduce its tension, and cut one coil off the disconnector spring, instead.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I use wolff springs in all my guns, semi and f/a.
If you dont want to use the extra power spring, file down the back of the bolt or get a longer FP

AFA lighter springs for the 22, I use a normal spring for mine, but if you want a light spring JP enterprises makes a reduced spring
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious why the need?  I've never had problems with standard springs for either of your applications.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the responses.  I shot some steel cased 7.62X39 and 5.45X39.  The primers were hit what looked to me hard enough, but didn't go off.  It runs fine with brass cased 5.56X45, but the steel cased would run a few rounds.  I'd eject a dimpled primer round and it would run a few more rounds.  As far as the lighter hammer spring, it is my understanding that a full power spring is hard on the Ciener firing pin.  Also .22lr doesn't have much power to start with.  I did have a kit with the lighter Lakeside springs and ran well.  But I don't know where that kit ended up.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the responses.  I shot some steel cased 7.62X39 and 5.45X39.  
Scott
View Quote
you have to mod the bolt or get a new firing pin for those
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience, to get 100% reliability with military 7n6 5.45x39mm ammo in an AR, additional firing pin protrusion AND the Wolff XP hammer spring are both required.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Enhanced firing pin made for steel cast 7.62x39.  Protrudes a bit more than standard 5.56 firing pin.  Made by several companies.  I got mine from Model 1 Sales.

Some people modify their firing pins to protrude more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Enhanced firing pin made for steel cast 7.62x39.  Protrudes a bit more than standard 5.56 firing pin.  Made by several companies.  I got mine from Model 1 Sales.
View Quote
I use the Model 1 Sales 5.45x39mm barrel, bolt and firing pin as well. I still needed the Wolff XP hammer spring in order to get 100% reliability. Before I installed the Wolff XP spring, I tried using a brand new Colt hammer spring that I bought from Brownells. The new Colt spring wasn’t enough punch for 100% primer ignition. The Wolff XP spring has never failed to get it done.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In my experience, to get 100% reliability with military 7n6 5.45x39mm ammo in an AR, additional firing pin protrusion AND the Wolff XP hammer spring are both required.
View Quote
Yep. I use RedX 7.62x39 pins.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Both the 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 were built specifically for those calibers.  I also have bought some 7.62X39 uppers from PSA.  The firing pins look to protrude a little more than the 5.56X45 uppers I have.  I did order some of the Woff hammer springs.  Thanks.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
My 11" 7.62x39 upper works perfectly with the bolt carrier assembly from AIM surplus and a std springs just fired a few hundred rounds last weekend. My 22 kit has issues and wont fire a full mag without stopping hammer down but no primer hit on the round in the chamber.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top