Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2018 4:21:40 AM EDT
Long story short like 3 years ago I picked up a "type 97 sniper rifle" at Cabelas for what I thought was a steal, due to me being Naive about Japanese Rifles. Anyways I brought my "prize" home and did more research only to find out this rifle had been Bubba'd by some monkey and had been refinished, the scope mount removed completely (including having the scope mount holes filled in) and turned into some hunting weapon. Then it was purchased again before me and a guy put a standard type 38 stock on it and attempted to refinish the wood. But finished halfway through. Now  faced with 3 options and a tough decision:
#1: Keep it and attempt to find someone who can refinish, cut the stock and do something about the missing scope mount
#2: Sell it back to Cabelas and buy the Egyptian Hakim they have right now for $800
#3: Save it and sell it to fund a more rare Japanese rifle. Hopefully a Type 2 Paratrooper.

Also here pics:

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask over on Gunboards in the Japanese rifles section, they are experts on these rifles.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask over on Gunboards in the Japanese rifles section, they are experts on these rifles.
View Quote
I second this, but my guess it is beyond help. "Re-Snipering" a Jap sniper would be way different than "re-snipering" a 91/30 which was all the rage. There are no repro Jap scope mounts, etc, and real ones are hens teeth...not to mention the immensely diminished value thanks to the refinishing...probably not worth it, and probably won't sell for much either...

But, yes, the Japanese board on Gunboards will know beyond a doubt...
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with above... I don't think it'll ever be what it was. That said, I'm sure someone could mess it up even worse by dismissing it as done for and trying to finish the 'restore.'

But I'm a super noob on restoration.

See you over in Firearms of the Rising Sun (Gunboards).  lol
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks pretty good to me . Keep it
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I'll have to post it on Gunboards, honestly didn't think about it. That's the main problem I was worried about is that repro Japanese sniper parts do not exist and finding them is extremely difficult if original (I mean only 22,000 of these exisited). The real shame here is besides the black glossy refinish the actual action is in great condition. I really wish the previous owners hadn't treated this poor weapon like this. Shame
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Don Schlickman makes repro bases and many parts for Japanese rifles and inert ordnance.

He can pretty much make anything if you ask.
Depends how much you want to put into it.

Scopes alone run $1500-$2000, the rifles in original condition alone run $1000-$2000.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm do you have a way to contact Don? I'd be interested to see what a mount base would run.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm do you have a way to contact Don? I'd be interested to see what a mount base would run.
View Quote
Bottom of the page

https://www.nambuworld.com/donspartslist.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top