Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2018 9:30:03 AM EDT
I have one out for delivery right now. I’ve wanted an R1/HW80 for a long time. This one is in .22.

Input?  Gonna be used for shooting paper, vermin and things like that.

Update:
So I need a scope and mount but just putting some rounds through it in the garage, it’s a hammer.  Needs a good lube tune to rid some of the twang but I’ll run 500 or so pellets through it first.

It’s perfect in fit and finish. The trigger is the Rekord which is the industry standard for air rifles. Bluing and moving parts tolerances are perfect and tight.  The stock open sights are actually pretty good. But she’s getting a scope.

Hopefully I’ll get some chrono numbers later next week. And if I’m lucky I’ll see what I can do to the local starling population.

Update 2

Put about 200 rounds down the pipe and added a scope and muzzlebrake. The scope is a Bushnell 4-12x40AO Trophy XLT. I have this scope on two others and they are solid. The muzzlebrake is an Apex unit from Maccari. It’s a slip on fit designed for 16mm diameter barrels. I had to take down the ridges left on the barrel at the muzzle that were the result of a press made dovetail for the front sight. I used some 5min Devcon epoxy and the two grub screws that came with it. A great tip using set screws is to put a #7 1/2 shot lead BB in the hole to hold the brake in place and keep from galling the barrel with the screws.

For a factory gun that shoots this hard it’s pretty smooth.  After 200 rounds it’s even better and definitely has settled down. It passes the pellet on the scope cap test. As far as accuracy, it’s one hole at 30’ in the basement using JSB Exact Jumbos.

I’m very happy so far.  It should really settle in nice. As an idea I ordered a tune kit from Maccari. But it’s not going anywhere for another few tins of pellets.

Update 3.

Couldn’t wait and just went ahead and gave her a little tune up. The chrono said 720fps with JSB Exact Jumbos at 15.9g. Not too shabby for a factory gun but after 300 rounds it twanged pretty hard still but it was tolerable. Since I had new guts for her I went ahead and tore it down. Cleaned the insides and decreased everything with mineral oil. I used the factory seal which is just fine and used a little 800 paper on some sharp edges and then used some molyB on the piston skirt and around the edge of the seal, lightly lubed the spring with Maccari tar and put it back together.

The first shot across the chrono was 699fps and I expected an even bigger drop in velocity after a tear down but within 20 rounds it’s back to 715fps. I imagine it will get back to factory velocity in a few hundred shots but what is better is it is a very calm gun now. The shot is solid and no twang, cocking is quieter and smoother.

The gun is a hammer that’s for sure.  I’ll get some groups on the weekend.

Update 4

Spent the last two days shooting various pellets through the gun. It’s a power house and the tune kit from macarri is really showing some power.  At 2000’ elevation I am getting 740fps with CPs, 760fps with RWS superdomes and 715fps with JSB Exacts. My best accuracy is with the Superdomes with the JSBs about the same but with an occasional flier. The tune kit seems to be putting out more than factory power. It’s not easy to get good groups as she’s hold sensitive but I have it sorted out. At 30 yards I can keep them in a nickel without much trouble. It’s not a pellet stacker like the TX200 but damn does it shoot hard.

ETA, I utterly destroyed a half dozen starlings out to 60 yards today.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool. Isn't that considered a magnum? I'll be curious to see what numbers you get. Not that high velocity helps these shoot accurately but I bet they have figured out how to combine the two for the user.
My Parrus is pretty powerful (avg. 865 fps with 14.3 pellets) and is mechanically very accurate. The problem is that its so hard to shoot it accurately on a consistent basis. Every little thing not done exactly perfectly sends pellets astray.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool. Isn't that considered a magnum? I'll be curious to see what numbers you get. Not that high velocity helps these shoot accurately but I bet they have figured out how to combine the two for the user.
My Parrus is pretty powerful (avg. 865 fps with 14.3 pellets) and is mechanically very accurate. The problem is that its so hard to shoot it accurately on a consistent basis. Every little thing not done exactly perfectly sends pellets astray.
View Quote
I think magnum is a relative term.  It’s certainly considered a high power air rifle but it doesn’t advertise velocities that you see with Gamo for instance. Straight Shooters posts real numbers with various pellets from a factory example and many were in the mid 700fps range. My R9 shoots in the 690s and my TX200 has been giving me fits lately but runs in the 600-615fps range with 14-15gr pellets so it should shoot much harder than these. But like you said, velocity isn’t the end all. 700fps from a 15gr pellet is no slouch.

My chrono died so I have to get another. I’ll post up members when i do.  Right now I’m just running pellets through it to break in the metal to metal.  After a few hundred I’ll break it down and see if a good lube and debur is in order.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Updated in the original post.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
In for pics! I have an HW30 and an HW90.......the 90 is a bruiser. I keep thinking about getting something a little classier and more laser like. Perhaps an HW97 or an Air Arms Pro Sports (so sexy ).

Grabbed the HW30 the other day to dispatch a squirrel that wouldn't let me out the front door. The damn thing had his head hanging out of the bush by the front door and kept barking and charging at me in little fits. All I could think of was
Christmas Vacation Squirrel scene

And I didn't feel like doing a re-enactment

I thought real hard about the HW80 but ended up with the 90 thinking I wanted more manly power (rolls eyes). The dang thing is hard to shoot. I don't think I ever did better than quarter sized groups at 30 yards. I might have been expecting too much. I decided at some point that it was just too much recoil to keep a scope on it. Seemed to be always shifting. Need to get another peep sight for it. Broke the last one.

Anyhow Airguns are fun drop some pics when you can!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Original post with more updates.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool
740 is good
BTW, I tried some 21.somethings in my parrus
SLOW
It's been weeks but IIRC 620 or so
Gun felt quite different
Accuracy was ho hum
I still need to try the 18 grain JSB,s, I think they'll do ok
Springers are a PITA
I've been more into USPSA, IDPA and Steel matches lately so the pellit gun is on the backburner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top