Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a really interesting product. The OSS design appears to benefit from additive manufacturing, and I would not be surprised if they transition completely to this manufacturing process for their suppressors. If this suppressor has the durability and flash suppression of legacy baffeled suppressors, this may truly be a generational change. Additionally, I am curious how flow-through suppressors sound indoors vs baffeled suppressors, as you think the higher report at the muzzle could potentially reverberate indoors.

Regarding the mount discussion, I agree that people do not pay enough attention to mount weight. I like surefire's closed tine flash hider (yes I know it doesn't have labyrinth seals), because it saves 1.3oz over the 3 prong. I think there is room for mount manufacturers to reduce mount weight while still having acceptable durability.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a really interesting product. The OSS design appears to benefit from additive manufacturing, and I would not be surprised if they transition completely to this manufacturing process for their suppressors. If this suppressor has the durability and flash suppression of legacy baffeled suppressors, this may truly be a generational change. Additionally, I am curious how flow-through suppressors sound indoors vs baffeled suppressors, as you think the higher report at the muzzle could potentially reverberate indoors.

Regarding the mount discussion, I agree that people do not pay enough attention to mount weight. I like surefire's closed tine flash hider (yes I know it doesn't have labyrinth seals), because it saves 1.3oz over the 3 prong. I think there is room for mount manufacturers to reduce mount weight while still having acceptable durability.
View Quote

Same here. Jay said that he will be testing this.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, traditional baffled suppressors like the Helios qd, ea arx, rugged razor 556...oh wait, the flow 556k is quieter at the muzzle than all of those, NEWLY designed, dedicated 5.56 cans, and a full 10 points higher at the ear than the closest ear competitor (Helios qd).
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Without knowing what the internals look like, if there's an unstable projectile or jacket seperation, assuming there's no issues based on the mount backing off, based on where the serial is... Maybe they're banking on E-Forms being quick turn around in the future?  At least other 3d printed options like CGS put their serial at the base where I could see them chopping off the baffle area and reprinting on top.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok so question from a newbie. How does this deal with a baffle strike? Looks like they wouldn't be able to just replace an end cap if it is 3d printed?

Without knowing what the internals look like, if there's an unstable projectile or jacket seperation, assuming there's no issues based on the mount backing off, based on where the serial is... Maybe they're banking on E-Forms being quick turn around in the future?  At least other 3d printed options like CGS put their serial at the base where I could see them chopping off the baffle area and reprinting on top.

Looks like I was right, can't be repaired.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Looks like I was right, can't be repaired.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147676/ppH4Eew_jpeg-2481064.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok so question from a newbie. How does this deal with a baffle strike? Looks like they wouldn't be able to just replace an end cap if it is 3d printed?

Looks like I was right, can't be repaired.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147676/ppH4Eew_jpeg-2481064.JPG

That nato guy seems like he likes to party
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That nato guy seems like he likes to party
View Quote

I'd imagine he's probably a member here. He has that ARFCOM mentality to him
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s disappointing. I would have guessed they could have just chopped it back and started 3D printed on the base.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That’s disappointing. I would have guessed they could have just chopped it back and started 3D printed on the base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The serial number is on the very end next the the muzzle. I just bought one and that’s why I asked about it.
Also it says OSS as the manufacture. No where on the suppressor does it say huxworx, just OSS

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's disappointing. I would have guessed they could have just chopped it back and started 3D printed on the base.
View Quote
That is very disappointing.  

I'm not sure I want a suppressor that can't be repaired.

I'm careful, but shit does happen and I like a safety net.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's disappointing. I would have guessed they could have just chopped it back and started 3D printed on the base.

They are $1100 plus stamp too
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I kind of want one of these but the price is a turn off right now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree, that is a non-starter for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It would be one thing if the eform 4 actually lived up to the sub-90-day promise, but the typical approval times seem to be around 5 months and rising. The proprietary mount also means I couldn't just slap a spare can onto that host while waiting to get the Flow replaced.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It would be one thing if the eform 4 actually lived up to the sub-90-day promise, but the typical approval times seem to be around 5 months and rising. The proprietary mount also means I couldn't just slap a spare can onto that host while waiting to get the Flow replaced.
View Quote
Plus another $200 tax stamp.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch, I did not realize that. Glad I didn’t jump on the FLOW as I was tempted to do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#16]
This would be the perfect application of the ring patented by Energetic Arms for the manufacturer info and serial number. Saving the consumer and Huxworks many future headaches.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Are any of the newer 3d printed cans repairable? What about the SLX?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are any of the newer 3d printed cans repairable? What about the SLX?
View Quote

Sig is at the bottom, looks to be repairable.
Definitely a big Achilles heel on the flow 556, found this old excerpt from paco at cgs (please come back, we miss you)

“Since 99% of strikes occur on the front cap, since we don't use any welds in our silencers, and since our DMLS process creates a superior product in every meaningful way there's nothing that's going to need repairing other than on extremely rare occasion the front cap which is easily sent in the mail. In over three or four years no DMLS rifle silencers have been returned for repair from military, government, or commercial customers or consultants because the root of the primary problems are eliminated. Take the Helios QD series as an example which is a 5.56 silencer but the bore is .355" in diameter tapering larger going forward to .375. This eliminates strikes from unstable projectiles when fired out of super short barrels such as the 5.5" Maxim PDX. This is the end result of the Helios QD on a Maxim 5.5" 5.56 PDX

For the performance I would still risk it but I live life with reckless abandon like that...probably would stick it on my 11.5 or 16” mcx virtus barrel and not look back.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know their warranty policy but couldn't they make a replacement can with your serial number and destroy your damaged one?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know their warranty policy but couldn't they make a replacement can with your serial number and destroy your damaged one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol you should ask Kevin Brittingham
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yah turns out the ATF isn't amused by such creativity
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks for the informed response.  And yes it's cool to see 3D printing in the NFA world.  I know CGS was doing 3D as well.  Maybe it will be the new thing and more and more kickass suppressors will come out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Pew rates it as 33 which is minimal suppression.

The at-ear rating is the highest so far. People looking for that metric would be happy with this suppressor.

To me, I personally don't get the hype. It's a 556 supersonic round so you're wearing ear pro regardless. There's the less gassiness but all my rifles are tuned. And to be honest, if I'm taking a shot not on the range it's probably going down a hallway which is where I'd want both quiet at muzzle and ear anyway. It's cool to see progress with 3d printed designs and all but I personally think people are reading too much into the results. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks for the informed response.  And yes it's cool to see 3D printing in the NFA world.  I know CGS was doing 3D as well.  Maybe it will be the new thing and more and more kickass suppressors will come out.

Several companies are on board the 3D printed/DMLS suppressor train. Ones that come to mind (in rough order of adoption) are:
-Delta P Design
-Daniel Defense
-CGS Group
-Sig Sauer
-Radical Firearms
-Huxwrx
-PWS

I'm probably missing some. There are also a number of DIY FDM 3D printed designs for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This would be the perfect application of the ring patented by Energetic Arms for the manufacturer info and serial number. Saving the consumer and Huxworks many future headaches.
View Quote

I was going to say exactly this but you beat me to it. It would be nice to see it licensed to other manufacturers but who knows if that will ever happen. Otherwise the patent doesn't expire until 2039 if I'm understanding correctly.

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5oJPVttIDo
Serial ID RIng | US 11,326,849
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yah turns out the ATF isn't amused by such creativity
View Quote

But the EA ring thing is okay? Seems pretty similar. Build replacement can, add old ring back. I know there is some legalese around the actual serialized part, but seems rather similar in the outcome. Regardless of how they do it, I'm hoping they will have a solution for repairs just in case. Probably my next can.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But the EA ring thing is okay? Seems pretty similar. Build replacement can, add old ring back. I know there is some legalese around the actual serialized part, but seems rather similar in the outcome. Regardless of how they do it, I'm hoping they will have a solution for repairs just in case. Probably my next can.
View Quote
It's like a VIN tag on a car. You can pull a rotted out 1964 Mustang from a field, replace every part with brand new, attach the old VIN tag to it and it's still a 1964 Mustang. Destroy that VIN tag and the car is gone forever.

The ATF allows repairs on a suppressor, but not replacement of the suppressor. That engraved ring is the suppressor, legally. It can't be replaced, but every other part can be (by an SOT).

Destroy the part with the engraving on it and that suppressor is gone forever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread sure is getting off track
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Did y’all listen to the podcat?  3D printing is a gift for oss/hux, 3D printing is the future, the performance is in a different league (hard to call the arx and flow 556 both suppressors because of the performance difference), and will need frequent-ish cleaning every 1500 rounds
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I spoke with a nice guy at HUXWRS today regarding the "baffle" strike issues. (I know, it's a 3D printed can.) He said at this point they will deal with it on a case-by-case basis. HUXWRX theory is that if you use their muzzle device, an alignment rod, and the correct ammo the probability of an "incident" is extremely low. If there is and "incident", they will take care of the customer assuming no abuse or foul play was to blame.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I spoke with a nice guy at HUXWRS today regarding the "baffle" strike issues. (I know, it's a 3D printed can.) He said at this point they will deal with it on a case-by-case basis. HUXWRX theory is that if you use their muzzle device, an alignment rod, and the correct ammo the probability of an "incident" is extremely low. If there is and "incident", they will take care of the customer assuming no abuse or foul play was to blame.
View Quote
They do have a good mount and AFAIK, there are no 3rd parties making muzzle devices that fit their cans.

Just make sure you attach that muzzle device to the barrel properly!

How To Install Your OSS Muzzle Device

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That doesn’t give a warm and fuzzy
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which part?  Their muzzle device works best with the can perf and fitment wise.  An alignment rod is a pretty good practice to ensure clearance.  They'll take care of you if there's a problem as long as no abuse in play.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which part?  Their muzzle device works best with the can perf and fitment wise.  An alignment rod is a pretty good practice to ensure clearance.  They'll take care of you if there's a problem as long as no abuse in play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The correct Ammo" part.  Where does huxwrx draw the line?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was a bit thrown off by this too. I didn't realize "out of spec" ammo was common; to the degree a 5.56 round would not fit thought or be so small it would tumble in the suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, and I’m in the market for a 556 can.

Looks like Dead Air for me….again
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was a bit thrown off by this too. I didn't realize "out of spec" ammo was common; to the degree a 5.56 round would not fit thought or be so small it would tumble in the suppressor.
View Quote
 Did they specify what ammo is "in spec"?

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
 Did they specify what ammo is "in spec"?

View Quote
Until you realize that people do retarded shit reloading ammo that won't stabilize in their rifle.  In spec means no key holes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct grain weight ammo for your particular barrel length and twist rate...so it’s stabilized
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Correct grain weight ammo for your particular barrel length and twist rate...so it’s stabilized
View Quote

Avoiding frangible rounds… ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Correct grain weight ammo for your particular barrel length and twist rate...so it's stabilized
View Quote
OK, that makes better sense.  Why don't they just say that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Avoiding frangible rounds… ask me how I know.
View Quote

He did mention fragmented rounds. Yea, I guess I forget about people doing "retarted shit" with their guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

He did mention fragmented rounds. Yea, I guess I forget about people doing "retarted shit" with their guns.
View Quote

It’s only retarded until it happens to you. If you pull a lot of triggers, stuff happens.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got my FLOW556K in today, I'll shoot it at dusk this week and record some video for a flash test on a 10.5" with winchester M193.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just got my FLOW556K in today, I'll shoot it at dusk this week and record some video for a flash test on a 10.5" with winchester M193.
View Quote

How long was the wait?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Probably a few days for the form 3 to clear. Riley is a manufacturer: Liberty Precision Machine .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long was the wait?
Probably a few days for the form 3 to clear. Riley is a manufacturer: Liberty Precision Machine .

Makes much more sense

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looking forward to it.  Sound, back pressure, flash are all important performance metrics to be balanced or traded off against cost, size/weight, durability, maintainability/repairability, mounting or modularity or host integration or interoperability, etc.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Mrgunsngear put his review out yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Here are some stills of the video from last night. 10.5" 5.56 shooting Winchester M193. The can had maybe 10 rounds total through it before this test but was allowed to cool and fill back up with ambient air. First round had some visible flash. Rounds 2-5 all had a small shock diamond out the front along with some sparking. Perhaps the sparking is just loose powder from the DMLS and will clear out over time. Since I'm a competitor I don't want to give my biased opinions on it, other than it is slightly less ugly in person lol.

HUXWRX FLOW556K Dusk Flash Test 10.5" 5.56 M193
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top