Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2018 4:52:44 PM EDT
Inherited the below Garand. Can anyone tell me anything about it based on the pics? Year made/value/etc? Thank you!

Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The receiver was manufactured around February 1954

Production Dates-Harrington & Richardson Arms Co

M1 Garand Production Dates
* All dates and serial numbers are approximate *

|

MFGMonthYearEnding Serial #
HRA - Harrington & Richardson Arms CompanyJanuary1953   4730000
HRA - Harrington & Richardson Arms CompanyJanuary1954 4800000
HRA - Harrington & Richardson Arms CompanyFebruary1954 5641047
HRA - Harrington & Richardson Arms CompanyDecember1956  5793847
HRA - Harrington & Richardson Arms CompanyDecember1956  6034729

http://usriflecal30m1.com/ProductionMFG.aspx?mfg=HRA
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a CMP service grade rifle, around $730 now.  See if you can find the CMP certificate that shows the grade.  Must be a fairly recent purchase with the CMP stock on it.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like an HRA receiver with an HRA barrel (Sept. '54)  that somebody stocked in new CMP wood -  which looks to be either Dupage or Boyd's.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
$8-900 on gunbroker. Maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Need to see more pictures before a judgement is passed on value. Need a complete breakdown of parts. Its possible its a rifle CMP sold a few years back  which is a Service Grade Special which is a collector grade rifle except for the commercial stock. Not to be confused with the Special Grade which is refinished, mixmaster, commercial barrel and stock
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's a CMP service grade rifle, around $730 now.  See if you can find the CMP certificate that shows the grade.  Must be a fairly recent purchase with the CMP stock on it.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
View Quote
Most likely with an off chance of someone buying a cmp stockset to replace what was on it.  I bought two service grade HRA barreled receivers when they had no HRAs.  I built them up.  One is DGR walnut, the other in mix mash usgi birch and Greek beech hanguard doctored withdye to match.  It could have been a build up.   But the smart money is it’s a recent CMP built gun.

ETA it’s likely got its original factory barrel.  It has a punch mark in the P proof mark.  That was an HRA thing to punch mark in the P.   A depot replacement barrel would have a P without the punch mark.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Need to see more pictures before a judgement is passed on value. Need a complete breakdown of parts. Its possible its a rifle CMP sold a few years back  which is a Service Grade Special which is a collector grade rifle except for the commercial stock. Not to be confused with the Special Grade which is refinished, mixmaster, commercial barrel and stock
View Quote
Does anyone have a good instructional on assembly/disassembly? Thx!
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does anyone have a good instructional on assembly/disassembly? Thx!
View Quote
38,800 results on Google

Google Results for assembly/disassembly m1 garand
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
How would I know it was a service grade special? I acquired it about 8 to 9 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget--the op rod is supposed to be bent.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How would I know it was a service grade special? I acquired it about 8 to 9 years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Easy ... Just send a check for $25.00 with a cover letter specifying the make (HRA) and serial number to CMP's "serial-number research service" and they'll look thru their records. If they find it's one of theirs (an M1 sold by the DCM or CMP), they'll let you know the date of sale and what Grade it was when sold.

Then keep that CMP research letter with your Garand in case you ever sell or gift the rifle to someone down the line.  In the case of a sale, the fact CMP vetted it as one of theirs will help its market value.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Easy ... Just send a check for $25.00 with a cover letter specifying the make (HRA) and serial number to CMP's "serial-number research service" and they'll look thru their records. If they find it's one of theirs (an M1 sold by the DCM or CMP), they'll let you know the date of sale and what Grade it was when sold.

Then keep that CMP research letter with your Garand in case you ever sell or gift the rifle to someone down the line.  In the case of a sale, the fact CMP vetted it as one of theirs will help its market value.
View Quote
Done. Sent off the letter a couple days ago. I’ll be selling this one once I get it back.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I was 4 months old when your barrel was made.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
If CMP vets it as a 'Service Grade Special', the market right now is $1,500 minimum, ... but an impulse buyer might throw $2K at it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have seen  service Grade specials selling recently in the $1200 range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought many rifles from CMP.  I always choose to buy a SG (Service Grade) rifle.  Back then, there were only 4 grades.

As for "SG - Special"?

Whatever.  I'm shooting mine.

IIRC.....some SG rilfes were sent out with new CMP stocks (no extra charge).  Because, for whatever reason, the original stocks were not up to grade.   And, some folks were not exactly happy with getting a "new stock."

That all being said.....
Your rifle looks like a whole bunch of new or close to it parts.......that's good for shooting.
Your barrel date is a late date.....that's probably goes to condition, good for shooting.
Your rifle has got a new stock.......that's a good thing for a tight lock up and shooting.
From your pictures......you have a BEAUTIFUL rifle.  
So, get out there and shoot it.  Don't forget to come back with a range report.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought many rifles from CMP.  I always choose to buy a SG (Service Grade) rifle.  Back then, there were only 4 grades.

As for "SG - Special"?

Whatever.  I'm shooting mine.

IIRC.....some SG rilfes were sent out with new CMP stocks (no extra charge).  Because, for whatever reason, the original stocks were not up to grade.   And, some folks were not exactly happy with getting a "new stock."

That all being said.....
Your rifle looks like a whole bunch of new or close to it parts.......that's good for shooting.
Your barrel date is a late date.....that's probably goes to condition, good for shooting.
Your rifle has got a new stock.......that's a good thing for a tight lock up and shooting.
From your pictures......you have a BEAUTIFUL rifle.  
So, get out there and shoot it.  Don't forget to come back with a range report.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
This one has already been shot quite a bit. A friend has a 600 yard gong target, and I’ve been amazed at the ease with which I can hit it with the M1.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Mystery solved. The letter I received states that this rifle was sold as an "M1 Garand Harrington & Richardson Field Grade".
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
previous owner must have changed the stock as Field Grades do not come with commercial stocks. He must have also had the rifle reparkerized, Field Grades have a lot of finish wear
Either this or CMP messed up and sent a better grade rifle instead of a Field Grade
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
previous owner must have changed the stock as Field Grades do not come with commercial stocks. He must have also had the rifle reparkerized, Field Grades have a lot of finish wear
Either this or CMP messed up and sent a better grade rifle instead of a Field Grade
View Quote
Yep, agree with M1G.  Yours doesn't look at all like a CMP Field Grade HRA.

If the CMP's Research Service is correct about your rifle's grade at sale, then that means the previous owner "upgraded" it with re-parking and a new commercial stock (either Boyd's or Dupage).
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Huh. I don’t think the previous owner would have gone to that trouble. I’m thinking CMP must have messed up
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a HRA field grade that looked about brand new still with it's original LMR barrel and HRA stock.  The barrel just gauged out a tad on the loose side.  But this was back in the late 90's early 2000's when even the FG rifles were in great shape.  I want to say it was $479 back then.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking closer at the pictures it appears there may be bedding material around the receiver. CMP does not sell bedded rifles. They do offer this work done at their custom shop
If it is bedded ,the previous owner had this done along with refinishing and a new commercial stock. This is not a off the shelf Field Grade
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Enjoy your inherited rifle.  My son will get my collection (what's left of it anyway).   Yup, to make things easier for him, I should/probably need to sell some of the collection, before I pass.   At any rate, I doubt that he'll have the same feelings about the firearms as I do.

Here.....this might be something to look at.  Call it "inspiration" to shoot your H&R on paper.

So then.....
I shot this target with my service grade repatriated Greek H&R using surplus HXP ammo.  Yes, it's off the bench and only at 25 yds w/iron sights (I have old eyes).   "As is".....from the CMP (no modifications to the rifle).  Well, unless you count a sling change.

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top