Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2021 9:11:57 PM EDT
I saw the HPG kit bags recommended here and feel like I need one. I've started running with the mutts again and it's tough to hold a leash and keep my pockets from flapping around with my key, cell and pistol.

I carry a P320 compact (M18) with optic. Anyone carry similar in a Kit Bag? Right now I'm thinking the Recon for the space but it also looks like it could be bulky.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the recon and carry a USP Expert 45 in it. At other times I carry a VP9 tactical with RMR with room to spare. As far as bulk, it just depends on what else you put in the front section.. it's easy to overload.. just think of what you actually want in there vs pocket or backpack. I carry a pair of USP mags and a victorinox and booboo kit and it's not bulky IMO.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got the SAR. It’s made very well and I see no issue carrying my G20 and a few extras while hiking. Super fast to open and draw as well.

Only major concern is that it will be hot and sweaty at any moderate temps. Looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only major concern is that it will be hot and sweaty at any moderate temps. Looking forward to trying it out.
View Quote

Yep, I hear that's an issue regardless of size.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
@rippr334  I run with a  HPG runners kit bag.  G19, phone, keys, headphone case.  I've thrown a spare mag in there if needed.  If you want something smaller they've got a fanny pack too.

I've also used it when I'm out hiking with the kids to keep it up out of my appendix area and make it a little more comfortable.  I think my pistol gets less sweaty versus when I carry aiwb in the summer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried the HPG bag for running and wasn’t a fan of how much it shifted even with the bungies.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I ride and hike with a runner's kit bag. I like it better than the thicker models since it moves a lot less and doesn't stick out as much. Key for me is keeping everything one layer in the main pocket and only putting ID/key in the front pocket. That way it fits to your body and has minimal movement when running.

It's not as hot as a camelbak or hydration vest on your back but still hotter than nothing. Not a problem for me, just an observation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Do any of you use a holster inside the bag or just put the pistol in there as is?

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
No holster. HPG recommends a trigger guard cover for Glock type triggers but the way my USP lays in there, it doesn't shift around and is in the proper position for drawing.

I use the method they show in their YT video of leaving a small gap at the corner in the back pocket zip so that you can just grab the corner and pull it open. Works great.

I use mine for hiking and mtn biking only. I would consider the runners pack for running and jogging and I'd only keep the pistol and maybe a flashlight or such in it to minimize weight. As I said, they are easy to overpack.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
When I started carrying while running over a decade ago I used a 5.11 waist pack and another mfg’s I can’t recall. They worked, but weren’t “perfect” to me. I eventually went to the HPG Runner’s kit bag. I gave it a fair shake with a lot of miles, but honestly it was still irritating when it would move and it was on a bad part of the body to overheat when working out and I could tell. I then purchased their waist pack variant of the kit bag (Belt Pack) and I have been running with that ever since. I run with a G48 with a trigger guard holster (the one they sell on their site) and have been a happy runner.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer their fanny pack for running
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#11]
@rippr334  I use the Raven Vanguard with laynard after talking to HPG.  That way when you pull the pistol the trigger guard pops off.  My lanyard is shorted to just a inch or two.  I need to order another one for my 48.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Stopped by an outdoors store while visiting Fayetteville and they had a Runners Kit in stock. Put it on and tightened it up and it seemed to stay in place fairly well with my wife's wallet in it.

Bought the only one they had, in Ranger green. Going to try it out this week with the dog and no holster for my P320 (which fits with plenty of room to spare).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top