Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2023 10:10:56 PM EDT
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of love here for the HK USC.  Any particular reason?  10rd mag? Thumbhole stock? Other?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, they are surprisingly unpleasant to shoot with that huge bolt slapping back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMHO, they are surprisingly unpleasant to shoot with that huge bolt slapping back.
View Quote

Came to say this.  I had one years ago.  Didn't like shooting it.  Felt like I was getting slapped in the face.  Also the 10rd mags kinda sucked.  Sold it.

I must have forgotten that I didn't like it because a few years later I bought another.  I was quickly reminded why I didn't like shooting it and sold that one too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Same as the others have said.  I still want to do a usc to ump conversion but I'm in no hurry.  A friend had a usc and while it was fun to shoot, it was surprisingly harsh to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
They're a severely neutered version of the UMP, which already pales in comparison to the MP5 (and anything that's delayed blowback, really).

I've had several opportunities to buy real HK UMPs for about $1,100 and turned them all down.
Fired one previously and felt the same as the above posters. Meh.

HK MP5-N for $1,800?
Turkish clones for $1k?
Yes. All day.

Making a USC into a (semi-auto) UMP clone is an expensive proposition.
When you're done, it still kinda sucks. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  It’s been years since I even held one so I didn’t remember the harsh recoil. I’m wanting a PCC and don’t want to SBR a SP5 so I guess I’ll need to weigh the cost/benefit of the USC.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked them in the ban years and think they look cool.

Bought one last year and shot it once.

The grip is fat and blocky and uncomfy and it didn’t face slap me— it vibrated.  Like the whole gun vibrates when you fire it, through your wrists arms and face.  Irritated my tendonitis.

Only shot it that once.  
I don’t mind the 10 & 20 round mags, i almost always just load 10 rounds anyways when I shoot regardless of capacity.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
The UMP is more manageable in 9mm with a number of improvements (such as lower weight, integrated rails, and LRBHO) but was no replacement for the MP5.  They missed an opportunity by not making it roller-delayed.

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The ten round mags did it for me. And the cost of converting to a UMP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Had one - took it to the first BRC, shot it all weekend, hated it, and sold it the following week.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't have any interest at all in the USC. Now a TommyBuilt UMP clone I did buy. Convert it to a UMP and it'll be worth a lot more.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a USC converted to a UMP I really enjoy shooting it. Recoil isn’t t bad in my opinion, it was expensive.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of love here for the HK USC.  Any particular reason?  10rd mag? Thumbhole stock? Other?
View Quote

Don’t listen to the naysayers. It’s a great gun. I own two, both converted by Tom Bostic. UMP lowers are hard to find but Bostic sells them now.

Here is mine in NFA SBR glory:

Attachment Attached File

It’s one of the few guns I own that gives me a shit face grin every time I shoot it. .45 acp in a PCC with a 25 round stick mag is a beautiful thing.

Put a VFG on the front and it is plenty manageable. I did the stock block conversion, which I think is the best way to go, along with using the original barrel cut down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
How do you do that stock block conversion?

Want to do to mine
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]
https://tommybuilttactical.com/usc-to-ump-conversion/

HDPS sells the stock blocks. It basically utilizes the USC's screwed in rear stock system, and replaces it with a metal block to mate the upper receiver, buttstock and lower together. I chose this route over the "plastic weld" Tommy Built offers.

Wish I could tell you how to find a UMP lower. Heck, I only paid around $350-400 for each FBI lower on my two UMP conversions.

https://www.hdps.org/product/combo-with-fbi-style-ump-lower/

I hear HK won't export them any more.

HK Parts is offering US made ones, and I have no clue if they are in spec or to what quality:

https://hkparts.net/product/2-position-lower-grip-frame-fde-hk-ump.htm/

https://hkparts.net/product/german-us-made-safe-semi-ump-lower-2-position-p590.htm/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top