Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2020 8:47:12 PM EDT
After wanting one for about 15 years, I finally bought one. I'm still trying to digest paying $1850 for it, even though I see them selling for more on Gun Broker. The scary thing is that I'm actually "considering" buying the correct KAC 45 suppressor, which is of course outdated and overpriced at $1300. I'm gonna stew on it for a month or two. Maybe someone will slap me out of it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I almost went down the Mk23 rabbit hole earlier this year. I think the KAC can is a must.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldnt

Never have we had more to choose from.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldnt

Never have we had more to choose from.
View Quote

I hear you but I've already got a new CGS Nautilus 45 that I run on a UMP 45 and an old EVO 45 that I run on a UMP 45 Tactical, which I may have re-cored.
The KAC can would be merely for US correctness on the MK23, as the B&T is Euro correctness.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hear you but I've already got a new CGS Nautilus 45 that I run on a UMP 45 and an old EVO 45 that I run on a UMP 45 Tactical, which I may have re-cored.
The KAC can would be merely for US correctness on the MK23, as the B&T is Euro correctness.
View Quote

Ahh,
Options indeed! Congrats on the buy
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get the KAC Mk23 can while it's still produced and in stock. Trust me, its really cool.

Too many Mk23 owners fall short and get some deadair or random mfg can.

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always wanted one.  Can’t criticize your decision.  I need to bump it further up the list, so next time I can afford one, I don’t pass it up!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats, it's an awesome pistol. I love mine and shooting it suppressed is lots of fun. It'll also handle .45 Super with no mods.

I didn't get the KAC OHG. Originally I got a CCF Impuls-IIA which is (or was, at the time) a licensed US reproduction of the B&T Impuls-IIA. It and the OHG were reportedly the only 2 cans that HK would warranty damage to the pistol if there was a problem with the combo. (I've never heard of a pistol silencer ever causing a problem that'd require warranty service however.)

From the info I could find it performs similarly to the OHG, but weighs less. It's also probably less durable since the OHG has a steel outer tube.
Anyway, I later heard a Ti-Rant .45 and had to get one for my Mark 23. I don't regret it one bit. It's probably as quiet dry as the Impuls-IIA is when wet.
The Ti-Rant .45 wet sounds like a pellet rifle.

Now I have the Triad adapter and use it on my MP5 as well. Can't do that with the OHG.
It performs impressively there too. I later bought a Ti-Rant 9S for when I want a shorter can (like for MP5K-PDW).

I would not recommend KAC's OHG but get whatever makes you happy. I went for performance.

The way I figure... no matter which can you get for it, it'll never be one of the pistols delivered to the US government, and even if you find a USSOCOM marked slide (which is obtainable if you hate money) the frame and barrel (chamber) are still different on the civilian version.

I did specifically seek out a 90s production pistol with the early maritime semi-gloss finish, since that's the finish found on the USSOCOM pistols (and it resists saltwater better). I think the rollmarks look nicer on the earlier slides too.

I had a chance to get a real AN/PEQ-6 (IR version) and passed it up. I do regret that.
My Steiner DBAL-PL with the adapter works well (probably better) but it's not as cool as the original dedicated model (which can accept an upgraded LED white light to boost performance).

Mine didn't come with the old Eagle woodland case, but I picked up a Blackhawk case and it's a very nice substitute. About $65
UPC 648018006326
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The way I figure... no matter which can you get for it, it'll never be one of the pistols delivered to the US government, and even if you find a USSOCOM marked slide (which is obtainable if you hate money) the frame and barrel (chamber) are still different on the civilian version.
View Quote

I actually thought the Mark 23 was identical to the MK23 aside from engraving. Regardless, it's as close as a civilian can get, just like many other weapons, so I'm good. I hate that the the KAC can is $500-$600 more expensive than more modern cans that are better, but any other can would just feel wrong to me. I don't feel that way about my USP 45 Tactical or FNX 45 Tactical. I'd mate them with any premium can regardless of warranty.

Fortunately, I have a couple months to stew on it, as I'm $ money tapped out for now after buying this and a couple other cans. I wish I didn't want the SP5 too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I actually thought the Mark 23 was identical to the MK23 aside from engraving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I actually thought the Mark 23 was identical to the MK23 aside from engraving.
The engraving is different, the chamber in the civilian barrels conforms to SAAMI spec, the slide finish is different (unless you get one of the older ones), there are 2 raised "islands" (or positive stops) on the frame, one above the decocker and the other above the safety, and pistols made after a certain year in the 90s have a keyed lockout at the base of the insert for the hammer spring.

I'd mate them with any premium can regardless of warranty.
I've never seen anybody complain that HK wouldn't warranty their pistol because they used the "wrong" can.

Fortunately, I have a couple months to stew on it, as I'm $ money tapped out for now after buying this and a couple other cans. I wish I didn't want the SP5 too.
You should definitely get some form of MP5 because they're amazing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I'd love an SP5 but hate paying inflated (above MSRP) prices. My want for the SP5 is only about a 8, as I already have a UMP 45 conversion to fill that HK PCC desire. Hopefully the SP5 prices come down in 6 months, assuming Uncle Joe doesn't make them go away.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Do it. Don’t fart around. Like you, I’ve wanted a MK23 for a long time. I did it this year as well. Can was approved in less than 4 months.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Do it.  They perform very well, on par with some current offerings.  Modern cans are full of gimmicks imo, like extra pieces to come loose while shooting.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice pics. Where did you guys buy the suppressor from?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread isn't helping me...
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
My MK23 is one of the HKs and gun in general within my collection that I will never part with.....just sayin....
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread isn't helping me...
View Quote
Nobody regrets their Mark 23/KAC purchase.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The MK23 is impractical for a gun to shoot 45 ACP.  Many offerings in that price range that’ll sling 45 ACP just as good or better.  

You bought the MK23 because it’s a MK23, so do it right and get the matching can.  In my opinion, it’s the only right answer.  

If you wanted a suppressed 45 hand gun, you could have gone in so many directions.  However, you didn’t.  You went with the MK23.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The funny thing is that I've always thought the KAC 45 suppressor was sorta weird looking. I think it's all pot holes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Find the LAM first, that's harder to find and more costly than the KAC suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Find the LAM first, that's harder to find and more costly than the KAC suppressor.
View Quote

Yeah, I know the LAM's are rare and stupid expensive. I've heard $2k - $2500 for old tech. I doubt I'll ever buy one unless I happen to come across a smokin deal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice pics. Where did you guys buy the suppressor from?
View Quote

My dealer ordered the can from KAC. Took a while to arrive. 6 months or better IIRC.
I’m used to waiting for toys. Always have something in the pipeline.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know the LAM's are rare and stupid expensive. I've heard $2k - $2500 for old tech. I doubt I'll ever buy one unless I happen to come across a smokin deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you settle for the pic version (it's functionally identical) they run $1000-1300 normally for a PEQ-14/LAM-1000. I have one while I wait the interminable wait for a LAM-1400. There have been a glut of them on eBay lately. I think two are up right now in fact.

LAM-1400 (same as LAM-1000, but with the MK23 rail interface) come along maybe once every two years and fetch $3500-4500.

Surefire's new XVL2-IRC does everything the LAM-1000 and LAM-1400 do but better and in a more compact package, and is $1300. If you're not building a clone or for some insane reason need a full power IR suite on a pistol, forget the Insight units and get that.

Get this guy's pic adapter for pic LAMs: https://lobos-industries.com/products/low-profile-mk23-picatinny-light-adapter <--- He just restocked 12/1 and when he goes out of stock he takes a long time to make more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#23]
The closest my poor ass will get to a Mk23.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I do intend to buy a KAC suppressor in the Spring, but I'm gonna forget about the expensive LAM idea and stick with my Surefire X300U-B. Regarding the Lobos adapter, I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I came across them earlier this month and it appeared to be the best quality low profile adapter out there. I mounted it last night and I'm happy. I almost didn't buy it at $140, but I really didn't like the bulky look of the other models out there. The Lobos one is very low profile and looks good w/o the light attached. I may pic up an extra (4th) magazine an try out a +3 base plate I came across.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#25]

A MK23 has been on my list for a long time, just not a priority. Currently finishing up my MK24 mod 0.  Still searching for the crimson trace IR laser, went with a SiCo Omega 45k instead of the AAC can due to availability and performance...

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:32:38 AM EDT
[#26]
If they'd have chambered it in 9mm, they could get like, 800 rounds in a mag.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I will buy a Mk23 one day and I will absolutely be buying the proper Knights can. It's the principle of the thing.

Where can you even find that can anyway? Are they new or secondhand?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I will buy a Mk23 one day and I will absolutely be buying the proper Knights can. It's the principle of the thing.

Where can you even find that can anyway? Are they new or secondhand?
View Quote

Pretty sure they don't make 'em anymore so used is the only option... and they cost about as much as a MK23 itself. I'd like one too for my MK23... maybe someday.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pretty sure they don't make 'em anymore so used is the only option... and they cost about as much as a MK23 itself. I'd like one too for my MK23... maybe someday.
View Quote
They're still produced.  KAC does a run once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nobody regrets their Mark 23/KAC purchase.
View Quote

True, but I do regret my Mark23/KAC sale.

This thread has me jonesing tofix that wrong.

On a positive note, I still have my TAC/KAC.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
True, but I do regret my Mark23/KAC sale.

This thread has me jonesing tofix that wrong.

On a positive note, I still have my TAC/KAC.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20133/USPTKAC_jpg-1743129.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful, I remember drooling over that picture back in the Silencertalk days
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Beautiful, I remember drooling over that picture back in the Silencertalk days
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Its a great gun!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I started looking for one a month ago, but no online dealers had them in stock, so I set up email notifications at a few. I just got an in stock email this week, so I violated my bank account and bought it. It didn't like that they cost $500 over the price of a modern premium can, but didn't want to regret not getting one later. No other can looks right on a Mark 23. Hopefully it's not in jail forever.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I had a MK23 for about 15 years. If you think the gun is expensive wait until you try to buy a correct suppressor and LAM for it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Always wanted one, came close a few years back but talked myself out of it as it was just too large and went with the USP Tactical in 45 instead.

Haven't written it off entirely though
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Everyone needs one for each hand ...just saying !
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They're still produced.  KAC does a run once or twice a year.
View Quote

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Came across a MK23 under glass yesterday at a local shop. I was able to walk out without it due to sheer grit. Maybe one day, but I'd have to have a LOT of money and couldn't think of anything better to spend it on. It's high on that list, though!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought the MK23/KAC combo was going to be a heavy unwieldy mess.  It surprised me by being well balanced. Really the only pistol i shoot suppressed on a regular basis.  Keep an eye out for the cans.  I bought the USP45 Tactical version a few years back when a dealer was blowing them out.  I paid less for it than the replacement piston would've cost me for my MK23 can
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I thought the MK23/KAC combo was going to be a heavy unwieldy mess.  It surprised me by being well balanced. Really the only pistol i shoot suppressed on a regular basis.  Keep an eye out for the cans.  I bought the USP45 Tactical version a few years back when a dealer was blowing them out.  I paid less for it than the replacement piston would've cost me for my MK23 can
View Quote

That's good to hear. And good score on the can. I'm disgusted that the KAC pistons are $600+.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's good to hear. And good score on the can. I'm disgusted that the KAC pistons are $600+.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, what KAC charges for pistons is fucking absurd pricing even for Knights.

Even Surefire only charges $65.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top