Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2020 7:40:37 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to acquire one of the two MP5 here under, either an A3 made in Germany for $ 1800, or a Turkish MKE MP5 k for $ 2500. I am in Switzerland btw.

Buying both is not an option, as I am already buying two other fun toys from the same seller.

I have shot an MP5 k once at the Scottsdale Gun Club, fantastic gun, I absolutely fell in love with it. I guess the A3 is almost as much fun.

I don’t distrust the Turkish made MP5 made under license, I’m sure they are fine. But I’d rather have a German made HK, so there’s the dilemma.

The third option would be to buy none, and wait to find the German k of my dreams.

Opinions ?

The A3

The Kurz

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine has an A3.  Very comfortable to shoot, accurate with decent sight radius, nice rate of fire, easy to mount suppressor. The K compromises those aspects somewhat for concealment and maneuverability in tight spaces.  It all depends on your use case and what else you own.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
My full size "MP5" is a MKE (older ATI import) and my "MP5K" is a German SP89, sorta the reverse of the two guns you've been offered. I have nothing but good things to say about the MKE I own, it functions just as well as a friends German post sample MG.

Maybe it's just me but I find it odd the A3 isn't marked HK. The only strike against the MKE is what appears to be a flat spot below the trunnion plug weld on the left side, grinder mark perhaps, I've seen similar marks on a friends MKE gun. The triple tree is a bit crude compared to the HK but otherwise the MKE looks nice.

I prefer the full size guns rate of fire to the K's plus the longer sight radius of the full size. If you really enjoy a K gun then buy what makes you happy. Another variable to consider is the market in your part of the world - would the HK be more highly valued, easier to sell and bring more money verses the MKE?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy the full size.  I have both, the K’s size novelty wears off and it’s high ROF makes it less controllable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a MP5-N and a MP5K-N, both German, both full auto. The K-N is very smooth with a slower ROF using the #28 locking piece. I enjoy them both, though if I could only choose one it would be the MP5-N. I would never buy MKE if factory German is an option, and in some bizarre happenstance the German gun is the less costly of the two.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a MP5-N and a MP5K-N, both German, both full auto. The K-N is very smooth with a slower ROF using the #28 locking piece. I enjoy them both, though if I could only choose one it would be the MP5-N. I would never buy MKE if factory German is an option, and in some bizarre happenstance the German gun is the less costly of the two.
View Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Living in CHE must be strange...M16A2.. 2500 and two weeks....Factory HK are cheaper than a turk copy!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all for replies and opinions / experience

I decided to make an offer on the A3 for a few reasons

Price is right, even here you hardly ever see any MP5 below $ 2500 or 3000, and a German K probably goes for $ 4-5000. I think the reason the Turkish one is more expensive is because Ks are either more sought after here, or just rarer.

I’d rather own an original German made HK

No one knows how long we can freely buy those toys in today’s social and political climate. The 19th May election was a huge blow to gun enthusiasts, with no benefit against terrorism.

It seems the A3 might be more practical and controllable / accurate as a range toy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm skeptical that A3 is German.  They don't put A3, just MP5 and that gun lacks the normal proof marks.  Similar guns have popped up in europe and the consensus over on HKpro is that they are not German.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm skeptical that A3 is German.
View Quote
I agree. There should be HK markings and a German proof house marking.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm skeptical that A3 is German.  They don't put A3, just MP5 and that gun lacks the normal proof marks.  Similar guns have popped up in europe and the consensus over on HKpro is that they are not German.
View Quote
Thanks, better be safe than sorry

I am not active on the HKPro forum.

If they are not German, any idea what they are, where they are made ?

TIA
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If they are not German, any idea what they are, where they are made ?

TIA
View Quote
Turkish maybe?  Scroll down to MKEK.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/01/hk-mp5-clones-world/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top