Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2022 2:28:08 PM EDT
Somehow for years I never realized how much I needed an HK 22lr conversion kit for use with a sear.  How could I have missed this?  I’ve beat my head against 22lr conversion kits for other guns and some dedicated FA 22s.  

This kit is the most impressive 22 machine gun I’ve shot other than the American-180.  It was a little intimidating chopping the barrel and carrier but it worked out well.  I also had to put in a light firing pin return spring and a stronger recoil spring.  The kit has two kick ass things going for it:

1) Crazy strong extractraction/ejection and

2) Almost straight line feeding of the rounds from the mag to the chamber.  

I look forward to shooting the heck out of this kit.  Here are my first successful test fires.  The first video showed I was on the right path so I added a little more recoil spring pressure for the second test

Hk51 with 22lr Conversion Kit

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome

Thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an HK 91 and a 22 exchange kit.  I think I want to convert it to a dedicated 22 gun. What did you do to make the conversion?  Any builder you’d suggest using?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an HK 91 and a 22 exchange kit.  I think I want to convert it to a dedicated 22 gun. What did you do to make the conversion?  Any builder you’d suggest using?
View Quote

If you have a complete conversion kit, it should be pretty easy.  Tap in the barrel insert and replace the 91 bolt assembly with the .22 bolt assembly.  Load mags and go...

Note:  Don't pull the charging handle all the way back, just enough to load the first round.  That will avoid any issues with the bolt getting caught behind the hammer (not a flaw, just happens due to design differences if happen to mix FA/semi models, just remove the lower to clear).
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Enjoy the kit.  I used to use one with my HK91 (with sear).  Fortunately, never had an issue with it.  The weight of the platform absorbed anything the .22 could throw at it.  I don't recall whether I suppressed it, but I remember it being pretty quiet as well.  I mainly stopped using it as I had such a hard time getting the barrel insert out.  I'm not sure if this is a problem for all (my insert could have been a little bulged, etc., and not known it).  Nowadays, I tend to use either a shorty .22 upper on my M16 or the AM180 (which I bought after shooting yours ...).

I thought about cutting it down for my 51, but part of the fun of the 51 was just taking off the flash hider and dumping a mag for the fireball (and sound - always seemed to stop everyone else on the range for a moment).
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
51 fireballs are always fun!  I’d like to shoot a 51B but I’ve never even seen one in person.

I’ll hopefully get some more trigger time soon.  The forecast is -40 this week though so maybe I’ll wait until next week ??

I’m hoping I get better reliability from this than the M16 kit.  That works well enough but still malfs enough to make it frustrating
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm hoping I get better reliability from this than the M16 kit.  That works well enough but still malfs enough to make it frustrating
View Quote
Everyone that I know that has/had a G3 22LR kit has said they all run 100% but capacity is only 20 rounds.  

I know Bazooka Brothers made that AM180 adapter for the G3 but I don't know anyone that has one that worked.

Not impossible to get an M16 22LR kit working.  I have a couple uppers that run 100%.  BoreBuddy now makes a heavier anti bounce weight for the M16 22LR kit that works better.  I run mine exclusively with 50 round drums.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The Bore Buddy weights and 50 round drums are the hot set up in my M16 also.  The drum pressure always seems to feed better than mags

I wanted to pull out my other 22 mags and see if anything would work with the HK kit.  Maybe add spacers to hold the mag in a 308 mag body.  I figure if this was possible though, someone would have already done it.  

I wish I had gotten the AM-180 tower for the HK when they were available.  What’s more fun than beating my head against 22s that won’t work?  Maybe someday I’ll find one on the secondary market

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I was looking at doing one of these setups for a dedicated .22 but ended up going another direction.  When I was doing my research I found these:

https://www.blackdogmachinellc.net/hk-adaptor.aspx

No affiliation or know how well they work but would get you 30 rounds over 20 magazines. Other black dog stuff I have bought over the years seems to work pretty well.  I use their 50 round drum in my Norrell 10/22 and it runs 100%.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info.  I stumbled across these the other day and ordered one.  I’ll let you know how they work.  I haven’t seen much feedback on them but here’s my favorite:

“I've tried the BDM/Uzi mag thing.  I'd skip it if you want reliability.  If you want cheap that has marginal reliability, it may be an option. “

??
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a quick first test.  More later:

Two mags of 32 rounds each.

Each mag had one malf with an empty chamber

Each mag malf’d and crunched the last round which I’ve heard is typical.  I’ll have to see about putting a dummy round in there
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
HK51 with cut down G3 22lr kit. Fully automatic

I finally got this thing working well. It’s tricked me before though so we’ll see over time. I also need to swap some springs around to get the collapsible stock back on it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Where’d you get all those mags?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
At the last gunshow I found a pile of them.  I bought 4 for $40 total.

Just kidding.  I had two kits so that’s 4 mags.  I’ll need to test the Blackdog mags now that it’s working well.  Initial testing was similar to most BD mags I’ve tried in that they kind of work sometimes
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 2:20:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an HK 91 and 22 kit. I’m going to send mine off to Jeff at Parabellum Combat and have him do a conversion like this for me. I always wanted a FA .22.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I cut the barrel and carrier with a $40 pipe cutter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-1-2-in-1-in-O-D-Pipe-Size-Corrugated-Stainless-Steel-Tubing-Cutter-11-TC-02125/204767432

I don’t know if it’s true or not but I came across a post on hkpro about Jeff taking a pipe cutter to them

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a FA 91 and a 22 kit, it should just drop in and work.  What do you need Jeff to do?
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have a FA 91 and a 22 kit, it should just drop in and work.  What do you need Jeff to do?
View Quote

Replace the 91 barrel with a 51 barrel add a flapper mag release shorten the .22 barrel so it’s the same size as the 51 barrel and make sure it is dead on reliable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Gotcha!

I got the collapsible stock back on and dumped 4 mags in the backyard.  This is going to be a favorite gun until I run out of 22
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the cyclic rate, it’s much better than the 1,600 rpm braaaap of a ciener M16 .22LR kit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Somehow for years I never realized how much I needed an HK...
View Quote

blue training ammo kit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought I missed the boat on that one.  It looks hard to find and not cheap like years ago.  Is it still available cheap?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought I missed the boat on that one.  It looks hard to find and not cheap like years ago.  Is it still available cheap?
View Quote

Its around. Dans Ammo used to be where I got the ammo. It looks like it is still around for about $0.25/rd
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Found a second 22 conversion kit yesterday. Paid about 50% more for that one than my original but que sera sera.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]
My 51 conversion is done. Can’t wait to get it home and shot it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Wicked fast turn around!  Congrats and good luck.  Keep us posted.

I had mine out today and it ran great again in 22lr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top