Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2020 1:05:43 AM EDT
I recently purchased a 3rd gen blued S&W pistol to help a neighbor out.  When I took it to the range for the first time it was shooting several inches high even when holding at the bottom of the target.  The gun has a fixed front sight and only windage adjustment on the rear sight.  

I looked at the front sight and noticed it had been filed down.  I don't know how much but it must have been a lot.  

My question:  Is there a way to add metal to the front sight and if so, is it even worth the trouble?   The gun functions perfectly and has a good trigger.  It would make a great carry gun if it's worth fixing the front sight.  Otherwise I'll have to sell it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you post the model number?
Some are held on with pin, it would be better to replace than try to weld and then shape it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, what model number? I believe all 3rd gen Smiths came with dovetailed front sights. Easy to replace.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a 469 and from what I can tell it's integral to the slide.  Like it's part of the slide, definitely not dovetailed.  Sorry, it's a 2nd gen not a 3rd gen.  I had a brainfart when I posted it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a gunsmith mill it for a dovetail front sight?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Have a gunsmith mill it for a dovetail front sight?
View Quote

This would be the best in my opinion, I don't believe that model is collectible.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Have a gunsmith mill it for a dovetail front sight?
View Quote

Found these folks recommended on another site if you are going to go the gunsmith route.

ToolTech in Michigan
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.  I don't think the gun is worth the cost of having it dovetailed.  I'll probably just sell it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
How about low temp hi force solder for a strip of metal filed to fit the blade?

Of course, I don't recommend it, but there's JB Weld.  . Please don't do that.  Please.  I've seen quite a few Hobby Bob Jobs that had JBWeld.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not file or mill material from the rear sight? You know move the rear sight the direction you want impact to go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
one option is to have it laser welded. it's very precise, no sink and will not harm the heat treat
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#12]
You could also buy a replacement slide off of eBay for a hundred bucks, but I think the easiest solution would be to file down the top of the rear sight
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
An experienced Tig welder can lay a fine bead, however I'm not sure if enough heat transfer paste or heat sinking will help protect the heat treat.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An experienced Tig welder can lay a fine bead, however I'm not sure if enough heat transfer paste or heat sinking will help protect the heat treat.
View Quote

What heat treat?
Most barrels and integral sites have little to none.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top