Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2022 1:11:44 AM EDT
I am NOT a fan of the whole idea of, everyone knows the sound of the action, and it scares the intruder away.

Fucking stupid, because IMO, if you have an intruder, you have now given a known audible of a weapon, as well as where you are located.

Because shotguns aren't always drop safe, I prefer to keep mine fully loaded, with a round half loaded into the chamber, so I just have to slide the forend slightly forward to chamber the round. Is this a bad idea? I don't know, it works for me.

How does everyone else keep their HD shotgun? Fully loaded, with one locked in the chamber, do you keep it cruiser ready with a completely empty chamber so you have to make noise to make ready?

Random thoughts on a Saturday night.

ETA: Maybe I'm overthinking drop safety of shotguns, and if it was knocked over, but I like the way I do it. It's a Remington 870. Maybe I should have the round fully chambered at home?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's how it sits. Slight push forward, or basically grab the handguard and pick it up fully seats the round. About as quiet as me getting out of bed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
One should always do things the same way. I see the Glock as a primary weapon chamber loaded. The shotgun chamber empty safety on since it’s cocked over an empty chamber either the trigger gets pulled or the slide release gets activated before chambering first round. That’s because it’s going to be placed somewhere and not in my hand initially.  If the shotgun was primary the chamber would be loaded and it would be in my hand. Having said that if you have kids, grandkids or untrained people In the same house their presence changes what you can safely do. The way you set it up with a shell almost loaded is not as safe with kids and untrained persons. Round in the chamber is fine so long as you have physical control of the shotgun. Keep in mind that everyone has at least one dumbass friend.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
No shotgun for me. CZ Scorpion tucked by the side of the bed. Suppressor for it is in the approval process now.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One should always do things the same way. I see the Glock as a primary weapon chamber loaded. The shotgun chamber empty safety on since it’s cocked over an empty chamber either the trigger gets pulled or the slide release gets activated before chambering first round. That’s because it’s going to be placed somewhere and not in my hand initially.  If the shotgun was primary the chamber would be loaded and it would be in my hand. Having said that if you have kids, grandkids or untrained people In the same house their presence changes what you can safely do. The way you set it up with a shell almost loaded is not as safe with kids and untrained persons. Round in the chamber is fine so long as you have physical control of the shotgun. Keep in mind that everyone has at least one dumbass friend.
View Quote

I'm single, live alone. There is no risk of friends fucking with it. When me and friends hang out, it's at someone's house, not my apartment. I can count on 2 fingers the amount of people I've had over to my apartment in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No shotgun for me. CZ Scorpion tucked by the side of the bed. Suppressor for it is in the approval process now.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56774/A75CD888-AAA2-4663-A7AE-0E56F7939AD4_jpe-2327698.JPG
View Quote

This is the shotgun section, so...

ETA: what can you getting?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, I don't think your idea is bad. If you've trained to close that action before presentation and you're confident with it, more power to you.

I keep my Benelli M4 loaded with one in the chamber and the safety on. My thinking is that it's consistent with my other firearms and the training I have with them, all of which are loaded with a round in the chamber, safety on. To me, it doesn't make sense to have an exception to this rule.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
OP's method is perfectly acceptable and the way I was trained to leave a shotgun loaded.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Delete
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
You just might be overthinking the process as you said.  I haven't heard much about shotguns be not drop safe.  I don't have problems with kids or guests handling my guns without permission though.  I keep my Mossberg 590 fully loaded with one in the chamber.  It's real close a hand.  If, God forbid, I have to use it for home defense, then the only sound will be the click as the safety is moved to "fire".
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I keep my Benelli M4 loaded with one in the chamber and the safety on. My thinking is that it's consistent with my other firearms and the training I have with them, all of which are loaded with a round in the chamber, safety on. To me, it doesn't make sense to have an exception to this rule.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
cruiser ready
View Quote
Cruiser ready. Uncocked, Action closed, empty chamber on a Pump. Autos- Action open, American. Action open ghost load, European.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I keep mine with 3 rounds in the mag tube 4 rounds in the shell holder.  The chamber is empty ready to rack.  I’ve shot a shotgun for many years and feel ready to bring it in action fast.  I keep my Glock the same way next to my bed.  Full mag chamber empty.  For me I feel safer that way personally.  I carry concealed condition one only way to go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Full mag, empty chamber, safety off.  Exactly the same way for my entire career.  Change is NOT good when it comes to something you have to grab as you wake up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Loaded chamber and safety on.
No reason not to.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#15]

In the closet, locked up with the action open, tube full, single shell on top of the mount to load as I close the action.

My primary is a loaded G17 in a lock box though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Cruiser Ready

Safety on, empty chamber, full tube.  

Simply rack it and slide the safety off when you are ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Cruiser ready safety off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
A detachable mag fed shotgun opens up some other options.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#19]
just like everything else, full mag, empty chamber, safety off.

AR rides HD duty though, i dont use a pistol anymore except for carry and i keep one chambered in that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Shotgun magazine loaded, Round chambered & safety is ON.

In event of action, safety off & shoot.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I keep mine with an empty chamber, safety on, and cocked.  That way it is a 3 step process to fire the gun: unlock action, cycle slide, and turn off safety.  I can do it in my sleep as I have had a Remington 870 for well over 20 years as my primary HD longarm until very recently.  It is very quick to do and I have practice shooting from the position at the range.

I have grandkids that visit regularly and my youngest adult son with autism lives at home.  I believe it will give me a margin for error if I leave my safe open and one of them gets at the shotgun.  You have to know what you are doing to unlock the action, cycle it, and have it ready to fire.  As other have mentioned, I keep a pistol as my primary HD & CCW with a round in the chamber.  So I have a fully ready to go gun most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Cruiser ready
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#23]
OP in the USMC on Embassy duty we had the 870's off safe, fired on an empty chamber so you just had to rack the action once you took it out of the wall mount.  As a LEO we carried cruiser ready: empty chamber on safe.  You had to depress the action bar release to chamber a round and then take it off safe.  I qualified with a 870 at least every 6 months from 1990 to 2020.  I oversaw firearms training in the USMC and as a LEO.  I have seen many more than dozens of times where the action was improperly manipulated or short stroked and induced some type of malfunction.  Just grabbing your shotgun set up by the forearm with the action out of battery will cause the bolt to move.  In the dark will it completely chamber the round when it moves or will the action be slightly out of battery.  Remember what you train for at the range or in your house will be under completely different conditions when you feel your heart is pumping in you throat and know that a threat is on the other end of the hallway or at the bottom of the steps.  I run one in the chamber and the weapon on safe so the only weapon manipulation is off safe to be ready for the fight.  David
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Since it's not in a vehicle, cruiser ready doesn't make much sense to me. It's leaned up in a spot I have zero worry about it getting knocked over, and I live alone. I think I'm going to switch to round chambered, safety on obviously. I've never been a fan of having to cycle the whole action, and the slight couple inch push on the forearm seemed like a good alternative. If someone breaks in, I don't want to be making a ton of noise getting the gun ready to go.

I keep my P-09 with a TLR-1 chambered, and in a holster on the bedside table, and in reality, that's more likely to be the gun I grab if I did have an intruder.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  Since it's not in a vehicle, cruiser ready doesn't make much sense to me. It's leaned up in a spot I have zero worry about it getting knocked over, and I live alone. I think I'm going to switch to round chambered, safety on obviously. I've never been a fan of having to cycle the whole action, and the slight couple inch push on the forearm seemed like a good alternative. If someone breaks in, I don't want to be making a ton of noise getting the gun ready to go.

I keep my P-09 with a TLR-1 chambered, and in a holster on the bedside table, and in reality, that's more likely to be the gun I grab if I did have an intruder.
View Quote

Dad did the accounting for some Arabs in a rough part of town, running a gas station/convenience store/fried chicken restaurant.  They did such good business they ran the 7/11 across the street off.  They had a shotgun propped up against the wall in the office.  It fell over one night & took most of the manager's foot off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Delete
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I push the safety button and go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m Left-handed so my pump shotguns that are not in my immediate control, are kept with a loaded magazine, safety off and the hammer down. All I need to do is retrieve one from the cabinet and cycle the action. The cabinet our HD guns are in remains locked when we are out of the house and unlocked and open when we are at home.

I can cycle the action faster than I can find and manipulate the safety, particularly on the 870s plus I have visual confirmation that a shell loaded into the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I keep a pistol and a suppressed PCC as my primary home defense guns.  I do keep a loaded suppressed AR and 870 in the safe as a backup, or in case a more robust threat, such as a rogue grizzly bear that’s made its way 1000 miles from home to my doorstep.  The 870 I keep loaded with slugs and buckshot on the door of my safe, so they require going to the basement and entering my safe combo to access.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I keep a pistol and a suppressed PCC as my primary home defense guns.  I do keep a loaded suppressed AR and 870 in the safe as a backup, or in case a more robust threat, such as a rogue grizzly bear that’s made its way 1000 miles from home to my doorstep.  The 870 I keep loaded with slugs and buckshot on the door of my safe, so they require going to the basement and entering my safe combo to access.
View Quote

Why keep slugs and buckshot loaded in the 870?

Why not keep one consistent load?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  Why keep slugs and buckshot loaded in the 870?

View Quote

It's a technique.  Fatalwishes alternated btwn M855 & hollowpoints in his mags.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

Stick with one kind of ammo per mag, that way you know what you're using.

Alternating rounds is seriously some Fuddtastic, internet warrior idiocy. I talked with Jeff before he passed, hell, when I moved to Iowa and got my permit up here, sent him a pic to cheer him up.

Explain the technique in a way that isn't retarded, because it's just a bad idea all the way around. Under duress, you really know which type of round you're shooting? Stupid thought. Change my mind.

ETA: If the argument is better penetration, so follow up shot does more damage..... you can really put 2 rounds into the exact same spot under duress? That's the most common justification for a shit idea like rotating rounds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

Alternating rounds is seriously some Fuddtastic, internet warrior idiocy. I talked with Jeff before he passed, hell, when I moved to Iowa and got my permit up here, sent him a pic to cheer him up.

Explain the technique in a way that isn't retarded, because it's just a bad idea all the way around. Under duress, you really know which type of round you're shooting? Stupid thought. Change my mind.

ETA: If the argument is better penetration, so follow up shot does more damage..... you can really put 2 rounds into the exact same spot under duress? That's the most common justification for a shit idea like rotating rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

I'm not making the argument that it's a great technique, but it's certainly a common one.  Some guys put tracers at the bottom of their mags so they know when they're running out.

If you train to double-tap, then I suppose you do know what type of round you're shooting - 1 of X, 1 of Y.

The man could shoot a dove off his neighbor's roof w/ a Colibri, he certainly wasn't stupid.  I found out when I unloaded his mags.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:57:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm not making the argument that it's a great technique, but it's certainly a common one.  Some guys put tracers at the bottom of their mags so they know when they're running out.

If you train to double-tap, then I suppose you do know what type of round you're shooting - 1 of X, 1 of Y.

The man could shoot a dove off his neighbor's roof w/ a Colibri, he certainly wasn't stupid.  I found out when I unloaded his mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

Carrying FMJ's instead of hollowpoints is also very common. Stupid fucking idea.

I don't give a fuck how accurate he could shoot. Alternating rounds is fucking stupid.

You are liable for every round fired, and if you watched the Rittenhouse trial, they will go after each trigger pull, and even attempted to go after the FMJ ammo he had.

Under duress, do you actually know which round you're firing?

Putting tracers in is also dumb as a civilian, since defensive distances are highly unlikely to let it ignite before you see the trace.

Military does it different with tracers, because it helps keep MG's on target. It ain't about knowing when you're running out of ammo.

Got any more outdated bad internet advice for us?

I'm going to bed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the correct answer.

Why people have weird setups for shotguns is beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#37]
OP, my M37 is sitting there just like yours.  Almost closed on the 00 round, but not quite.

It is not the first thing I'd grab, a pistol would be first.  But I like the idea of having that shotgun ready if I needed it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Carrying FMJ's instead of hollowpoints is also very common. Stupid fucking idea.

I don't give a fuck how accurate he could shoot. Alternating rounds is fucking stupid.

You are liable for every round fired, and if you watched the Rittenhouse trial, they will go after each trigger pull, and even attempted to go after the FMJ ammo he had.

Putting tracers in is also dumb as a civilian, since defensive distances are highly unlikely to let it ignite before you see the trace.

Military does it different with tracers, because it helps keep MG's on target. It ain't about knowing when you're running out of ammo.

I'm going to bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

I'm going to bed.

A guy I know puts puts 3 rounds of M193 in the first 1/3 of his mag.  His rationale is that if the first couple rounds doesn’t take someone down then the bad guy/bad gal/bad it is probably wearing armor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm going to bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

I'm going to bed.

Your argument seems to be it's fucking stupid b/c I say so.  Fatalwishes wasn't a stupid guy.  I don't know his exact reasons and he's not around to ask.

Military uses tracers in several different ways, including issuing them to riflemen, not just to machinegunners.  Civilian shooting distances can vary, particularly in rural areas, and in Texas we can shoot in defense of property.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Your argument seems to be it's fucking stupid b/c I say so.  Fatalwishes wasn't a stupid guy.  I don't know his exact reasons and he's not around to ask.

Military uses tracers in several different ways, including issuing them to riflemen, not just to machinegunners.  Civilian shooting distances can vary, particularly in rural areas, and in Texas we can shoot in defense of property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fucking retarded.

I'm going to bed.

Agree to disagree. I never said Jeff was stupid, just alternating rounds is stupid. Smart people sometimes do dumb things, maybe because internet said so, maybe because bad advice. Hell, I carried a .40 for the longest time because my first CCW course told us we should only carry what local PD carries. That was my only reason for it. Once I realized I could carry and brand gun, in whatever caliber I wanted, because a good shoot is a good shoot, I changed it out to a gun I was more comfortable with.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why keep slugs and buckshot loaded in the 870?

View Quote

No particularly tacticalicious reason, just first 4 are 00, last 4 are slugs.  

Figure at standard HD distances, it’s not likely to matter, there’s gonna be a big hole in whatever I hit.  Slugs for the last 4 in case distance becomes a factor, or to give a slightly better advantage if cover is in play and the the first 4 00 don’t cut it.

Not tacticool or operator, I’m extemely LSHD.  The shotgun is the last thing I’d grab anyway.  PCC is the first with 3 dozen 147gr HSTs, and if I make it to the safe, a supressed 12.5” AR with a mag or two full of 62 gr bonded is coming out first.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#42]
When I keep a shotgun loaded for HD it is in Cruiser Ready.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Switched to loaded, chamber hot, on "safe" in a V-Line simplex lock "safe" in my closet.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Full tube, one in the chamber with the safety on
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm going to bed.
View Quote

Two things.

First off the technique is called dutch loading. I think it’s silly most of the time but it doesn’t require you to know what type of round you are shooting at what time. Dutch loading in a shotgun is more common I believe.

Second, the military sure does use tracers to see if you’re at the end of a magazine. I did. Team and squad leaders usually carry a whole magazine of tracers just to direct the teams fire.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#46]

The SuperNova has a shortened LOP Mesa stock, and Nordic +2 extension along with a GG&G light mount.

It's in a V-Line box, 6 in the tube, 1 in the chamber, safety on.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://i.postimg.cc/zXT61V2H/IMG-20220406-130958434.jpg

The SuperNova has a shortened LOP Mesa stock, and Nordic +2 extension along with a GG&G light mount.

It's in a V-Line box, 6 in the tube, 1 in the chamber, safety on.

View Quote

Just curious, why do you keep it in a box. Keeping kids away? Subterfuge in case somebody breaks in while you're away?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just curious, why do you keep it in a box. Keeping kids away? Subterfuge in case somebody breaks in while you're away?
View Quote

Kid around.  If you gain access to any of my guns, there's going to be no debate about intent because they're locked up or on my body.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Dad did the accounting for some Arabs in a rough part of town, running a gas station/convenience store/fried chicken restaurant.  They did such good business they ran the 7/11 across the street off.  They had a shotgun propped up against the wall in the office.  It fell over one night & took most of the manager's foot off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Since it's not in a vehicle, cruiser ready doesn't make much sense to me. It's leaned up in a spot I have zero worry about it getting knocked over, and I live alone. I think I'm going to switch to round chambered, safety on obviously. I've never been a fan of having to cycle the whole action, and the slight couple inch push on the forearm seemed like a good alternative. If someone breaks in, I don't want to be making a ton of noise getting the gun ready to go.

I have to ask what make of gun this was. While entirely possible with some antique POS I don’t really see that happening on a modern shotgun that isn’t completely worn out.
Just for thought, how many shotguns have been carried fully loaded with safety on in the field while hunting over the past half century. I can attest I’ve logged many miles and more than a few hard falls while carrying a shotgun.
For me I keep mine propped up barrel down.  Make grabbing the wrist of the stock easier and if it does fall over it’s pointed at the baseboard of the wall if something funky would possibly happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top