Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2020 7:36:00 PM EDT
What do you guys think about the Halo LR vs the Super Hogster?  I'm wondering if the price difference is worth it.  The Halo does come with a 5yr warranty.  SH is about 1/2 the price....but not sure about the quality of either and which is the better deal.  If it would be better to get the SH and just replace later OR if the Halo is just that much better and I should go with it first.   Appropriate any feed back you guys can give on either or both of them.

HALO-LR Thermal weapon sight - $6995.00
640 x 480 Resolution, 12µm
50 or 25mm F1.2 Germanium Lens
60Hz Refresh Rate
1120 yd (HALO) 2020 yd (HALO-LR) Detection Range
7.5 – 13.5µm Spectral Response
Internal Memory for Image Capture
18° x 14°(HALO) 9° x 7° (HALO-LR)
IP67 Waterproof Rating
4x CR123 Batteries
USB Power/Analog Video Output

Super Hogster - $3200

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're in a position to buy a Halo, go balls deep. You won't be disappointed. Or you could take that cash saved with a super hogster and get a decent PVS14 or a thermal scanner.  

If it were me, Halo would be my pick.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're in a position to buy a Halo, go balls deep. You won't be disappointed. Or you could take that cash saved with a super hogster and get a decent PVS14 or a thermal scanner.  

View Quote

@Demphna2
So the quality of the Halo is worth it...build/picture/performance...etc over the SH to justify the price?  I'm more interested in those things.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@Demphna2
So the quality of the Halo is worth it...build/picture/performance...etc over the SH to justify the price?  I'm more interested in those things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Demphna2

Image quality will be basically 2x as good on the HALO.

Halo is US built, IIRC. Hogster isn’t, if that matters to you.

Personally, I suggest 640 resolution to anyone who can afford it. JMO.

See if you can find anyone with a 640 scope and a 320 (384) scope compare the two. Another thing to remember is that the magnification on these setups is electronic (above whatever the native mag is, I mean). That means, when you zoom in, you cut your resolution in 1/2x. So if you start at 640, you drop to 320. If you start at 320, you drop to 160. This really matters if you’ll have the opportunity or need to take longer shots.

OTOH, if you don’t already have helmet mounted NOD, you could use the difference in the two scopes to buy a decent PVS14 .

Just my $0.02

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
In that price range, i would prefer the trijicon reap-ir.

i bought the much cheaper pulsar rxq30v, and very happy with it
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@Demphna2
View Quote
I think lilMAC25 nailed it.

Just for reference to picture quality:
https://youtu.be/p0z7I2jh3Lc

One of the better representations of what the image is on the Halo. In addition to a 5 year warranty.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]

man...that is a lot nicer picture.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a little bit like asking if you should get a Ferrari, or a 4 door sedan.  They both will drive down the highway, but they’re not even close to same class.  The halo will be/is superior in every single way. If anybody say different, it’s because they want to sell you a hogster.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If money wasn't a factor I'd buy 640 any day over lower res units.  If you're hunting in vast open areas buy the HALO-LR if not get the HALO.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Halo LR and I love it!  I wanted to support an American company that uses American cores.  Not just cause Merica but because the company that makes the Halo LR listenes to us their customers and creates gear we ask for and combines that with excellent customer service.  I am very happy with my Halo LR purchase and plan on buying a Nox in the future.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Halo LR and I love it!  I wanted to support an American company that uses American cores.  Not just cause Merica but because the company that makes the Halo LR listenes to us their customers and creates gear we ask for and combines that with excellent customer service.  I am very happy with my Halo LR purchase and plan on buying a Nox in the future.
View Quote

That NOX 35mm look awesome
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't own a Halo. However, I have tested the Trijicon MKIII 60 (which has the BAE core like the Halo) with a Super Hogster on several nights side by side. Also, Night Goggles/TNVC sells both Trijicon and Bering Optics and additional brands, and I don't get commissions on sales, so I am not trying to sell one vs the other.

Yes, on most nights, the Trijicon MKIII had a better image. However, the higher the humidity was, the closer the image became. The Trijicon had longer PID, but the Super Hogster could ID at any reasonable hunting ranges. The Trijicon weighs 2.5x more, and 3x more expensive. The Trijicon and Nvision don't have color reticles, backgrounds, PIP, or internal recording. Also, it really bugged me to have to manually NUC a $9K scope. This is a fact. If you had not told me what the prices were, and said after using both scopes for a period of time that I could have either scope, I would have picked the Super Hogster. Bottom line, I do not believe a Halo LR or Trijicon would result in any additional coyotes in the back of my truck if used it for a full year. In addition, I can say that since I can buy a scanner and scope for the price of either, that  combination has a much better chance of resulting in more coyotes in the back of my truck if 7-9K was my total budget.

I have talked to numerous customers just this week that are now selling their expensive Trijicon and NVision units to go with Bering Optics. One of the reasons is they can get the Super Hogster and the newly released Bering Optics Phenom which also has a 640 12 µm core for less than either scope.

For those that want to spend Nvision and Trijicon money, they are getting very good thermal scopes. However, don't discredit the Super Hogster just because it is less expensive.

Here are a few images from the Phenom I mentioned above.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both The Halo LR and The Super Hogster. I love them both, I can Honestly tell you for the price I would take the Super Hogster any day.

Is the Halo LR Image better Yes it is,  Is it 2 times better no way!! I am seriously thinking of selling My Halo and buying another Super Hogster.. For the price I do not think the Hogster can be beat.. I have had several thermals and for the price, it is the best I've seen..   Im so impressed with Bearing optics I just ordered the new Phenom..
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have both The Halo LR and The Super Hogster. I love them both, I can Honestly tell you for the price I would take the Super Hogster any day.

Is the Halo LR Image better Yes it is,  Is it 2 times better no way!! I am seriously thinking of selling My Halo and buying another Super Hogster.. For the price I do not think the Hogster can be beat.. I have had several thermals and for the price, it is the best I've seen..   Im so impressed with Bearing optics I just ordered the new Phenom..
View Quote

I’ll order a hogster and trade you
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You win this thread...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Any of you dudes dumping them Halo LR units for a Super Hogster hit me up in the IM's and I'll help you out with that.

I'm all about a bargain for the $$ but I can't turn a camero into a Bugatti no matter how much I post about what a value it is.

Now, if someone like Bering were to unass the sandbag & release that 640 12micron Iray unit in the States & crush this market I'll be game for wringing that out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ill need some to boot and ill defiantly do it

$2900. and a Super Hogster and you have a done deal..  Its in Perfect condition..
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ill need some to boot and ill defiantly do it

$2900. and a Super Hogster and you have a done deal..  Its in Perfect condition..
View Quote
I'll be damned...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for everybody that responded (even in IM's)...lots of good info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top