Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2020 4:53:35 PM EDT
Took a load that has prior to now been very accurate in my 6.5C RPR and chronoed it so I'd have dope.  

Results were:

5 shots. 42.5gr H4350 under a 140gr ELD Match in Hornady brass with a Winchester primer at 2.81 OAL.

I am at a loss as to why this spread is so big. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
According to my Hodgdon 2020 manual and my Hornady 10th edition book, that's above max load for 140gr bullets.

ETA: I'd say those velocities are likely indicative of high pressures. What does your fired brass look like?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Were these foulers after cleaning the bore recently?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nope. Shot foulers last night before I took it to chrono. I thought of that too, because that has given me issues in the past which is why I did that last night.
Quoted:
According to my Hodgdon 2020 manual and my Hornady 10th edition book, that's above max load for 140gr bullets.

ETA: I'd say those velocities are likely indicative of high pressures. What does your fired brass look like?
Perfectly fine actually. 42.5gr seems to be very common, and my brass doesnt have flattened or cratered primers, and the bolt isnt sticky on extraction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Which chronograph?

How far was it from the muzzle?

Even before you answer, I will suggest this if you are using an optical chronograph - place it farther down range.  I have been using a target at 50 yards with the chrono immediately in front of the target.  Although I am still skeptical, this seems to have solved the chrono issues (bad data).
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
At the stated OAL, in YOUR RIFLE, is the bullet ogive very close to the lands so that a little less that good consistency in CBTO could result is some jumping and others jamming???

ETA - TS has a good point about the chrono...
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope. Shot foulers last night before I took it to chrono. I thought of that too, because that has given me issues in the past which is why I did that last night.
Perfectly fine actually. 42.5gr seems to be very common, and my brass doesnt have flattened or cratered primers, and the bolt isnt sticky on extraction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with other poster.  That's a hot load.

Under a 140eld I use 41.6 and I get factory velocities.   You're a grain higher than that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Perfectly fine actually. 42.5gr seems to be very common, and my brass doesnt have flattened or cratered primers, and the bolt isnt sticky on extraction.
View Quote

What does QuikLoad say about pressure for that load?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What does QuikLoad say about pressure for that load?
View Quote

With the stock case capacity of 53.8gr H2O, GRT predicts 58k psi, 2800fps, 91% load density. Looks like its close to an OBT node.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
This is my first use of this tool, so take it with a grain of salt.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is my first use of this tool, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://i.ibb.co/pQMTBpC/6-5a-Creedmoor.jpg
View Quote

Looks similar to my result. You might check the View tab to remove the cartridge drawing and powder details off the screen.

In the powder library, powders have a calibration confidence level indicated by a red-yellow-green scale. H4350 is halfway into green, so it's close to right, but be more cautious with it.

Where I placed a red circle is where you can alternate between pressure over time and pressure over length.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Looking at the peak pressures, I would say the OP's is a fairly hot load (57 ksi).  The software is warning it is near max pressure, too.

The data indicates he should be getting about 2,800 fps and he is measuring an average of 2,865 fps.

OP, did you hand weigh those powder charges or were they thrown charges?

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking at the peak pressures, I would say the OP's is a fairly hot load (57 ksi).  The software is warning it is near max pressure, too.

The data indicates he should be getting about 2,800 fps and he is measuring an average of 2,865 fps.

OP, did you hand weigh those powder charges or were they thrown charges?

View Quote
Hand trickled on a scale.

My load development goal was 2850fps for this as it were. I knew they were hot, but they are accurate when I shot the ladder and didn't exhibit pressure signs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Under a 140eld I use 41.6 and I get factory velocities.   You're a grain higher than that.
View Quote

I use 42.7 with fantastic results and have tried up to 43.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#14]
OP,
    If you trickled your charges of same-LOT H4350 and controlled neck tension/seating depth, your chrono may have given you false readings as previously posted. Just finished loading 143GR ELD-X and 147GR. ELD-M loads seated 0.010 off the lands in FGMM primed neck turned Hornady brass with H4350. When I worked up the loads in the RPR with 762-SD can attached, SD was in the low teens at a slightly lesser charge weight than you are using. Only other variable I can think of that has not been discussed is work-hardened brass in need of annealing. Just as a note, several of the Hornady case primer pockets (approx. 1 per 100) were WAY shallow so were scrapped. HTH

Just for reference, some of the early Hornady 6.5 CR boxes actually had the load listed on them. It is a useful load level to keep in mind IMO. I did not understand why Hornady discontinued putting the load on the label until one of the "insiders" posted that Hornady is currently using several non-canister/blended propellants.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP,
    If you trickled your charges of same-LOT H4350 and controlled neck tension/seating depth, your chrono may have given you false readings as previously posted. Just finished loading 143GR ELD-X and 147GR. ELD-M loads seated 0.010 off the lands in FGMM primed neck turned Hornady brass with H4350. When I worked up the loads in the RPR with 762-SD can attached, SD was in the low teens at a slightly lesser charge weight than you are using. Only other variable I can think of that has not been discussed is work-hardened brass in need of annealing. Just as a note, several of the Hornady case primer pockets (approx. 1 per 100) were WAY shallow so were scrapped. HTH

Just for reference, some of the early Hornady 6.5 CR boxes actually had the load listed on them. It is a useful load level to keep in mind IMO. I did not understand why Hornady discontinued putting the load on the label until one of the "insiders" posted that Hornady is currently using several non-canister/blended propellants.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42284/Hornady_box_with_load_data_png-1579644.JPG

View Quote
Ah, that's a point I failed to mention. These were virgin brass that were resized prior to loading. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm going to load up another 5 and move the Chrono back past 25 feet and see what happens.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]
How much neck tension did you wind up with? Measuring a loaded VS unloaded case will be close enough. One guy had 0.006" which was far too much. He used the wrong bushing in his sizing die. I keep it at 0.001-0.002" in a bolt rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Try it again with once fired and I bet it goes back to normal.

Common with virgin, I always fireform before gathering data.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd bet money on false chrono readings. Even overpressure shots won't exhibit that kind of variance.  My HMR loves 42.2 grains 4350 with a 140 eldm btw.  I know it's over max (according to Hornady) but I see absolutely zero pressure signs in my gun.  Gives 2756 FPS with a sub 5 SD.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd bet money on false chrono readings. Even overpressure shots won't exhibit that kind of variance.  My HMR loves 42.2 grains 4350 with a 140 eldm btw.  I know it's over max (according to Hornady) but I see absolutely zero pressure signs in my gun.  Gives 2756 FPS with a sub 5 SD.
View Quote

You bring up a good point. Surprisingly, overpressure can produce MV variation exactly like that when some of the primers leak. I unwittingly documented just that while testing thermal variation of different propellants in 5.56MM 77GR. SMK handloads in new #41 primed LC brass. The last string of (5) handloads artificially heated to +135F then quickly fired had (3) MV measurements that were relatively close. But the other (2) measurements were unreasonably low. I thought I might have a couple of bad chrono readings until I picked up the brass. The (2) low readings were from cases with very positive evidence of primer leakage around the flattened primers. If the OP did not get false chrono readings, he needs to check his spent brass for any primer leakage just to rule it out. But I would not expect any primer leakage in new brass at that charge level.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
My money is on moving the chronograph farther down range.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You loading to the same length as OP?

I know I ventured above 42, but I haven't checked my load book.  I do recall getting high SD as I moved upward.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#22]
That is interesting.  I usually read about people whose SD collapses to a small number as they reach book max charge weights.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Which chronograph?

How far was it from the muzzle?

Even before you answer, I will suggest this if you are using an optical chronograph - place it farther down range.  I have been using a target at 50 yards with the chrono immediately in front of the target.  Although I am still skeptical, this seems to have solved the chrono issues (bad data).
View Quote

Probably this.  Once I switched from an optical chronograph random mysterious results like this went away.  You're rocking your chrono with your muzzle blast.

Also, I'm not a big fan of virgin brass.  

You're running hot.  Not stupid-hot, but hotter than you really need to.  Run a ballistic calculator to determine at what distance you go subsonic; you'll be amazed how little benefit pushing the pressure for that last extra 50 FPS really buys you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Update from today.

Set the Chrono back to about 30 feet. 5 shots, same charge and OAL as before were:

Much more consistent but significantly lower velocity than I had expected. I had expected these to be at least 2750+ if not closer to 2800.

The saga continues...

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, much better - 2711 fps mean; 13 fps SD.*

Use a ballistics program to estimate the velocity loss while traveling the distance from the muzzle to the chronograph.

Add that lost velocity to the measured velocity to get the muzzle velocity.

My guess is you need to add 30-50 fps to get the true muzzle velocity.  I use a 50 yard distance and add about 80 fps (for my distance and bullet).

Why do we worry so much about velocity when accuracy is what we are after?

*  The people who sell these optical chronographs do everyone a disservice when they imply these instruments can be used for rifles and then give only a 10' cord.  It would be better had they just said, flat out, "When used with center fire rifle, set the chronograph X distance (25 or 50 yards) down range".  Then explain why.  A much longer cord would be good, too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]
With my atmos, JBM says 2730fps.

"Why do we worry so much about velocity when accuracy is what we are after?"

Do you mean a target average velocity?
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#27]
As a general rule, you lose something on the order of 1 fps/ ft of chrono of distance.  Obviously this varys.

That's one thing I really like about the LabRadar. is since it gets 20+ readings over a spectrum of distances per shot, it's able to extrapolate pretty accurately back to the muzzle, which it does automatically for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top