Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2023 11:54:41 AM EDT
I have a 1970s m16 that I recently squired. I tested everything out and it works flawlessly. I plan on not using the upper anymore since there is no reason to not just put wear on other uppers.

My only question is whether it is worth taking apart the rest of the lower and putting other parts in to preserve the "original" parts and collectibility/value (and reduce risk?).

I think what's left is basically the LPK (trigger), stock, & buffer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the trigger being Colt, type of trigger and such. Some may be worth more but people are not buying the M16 for the trigger
Personally I don't worry about it. I have however swapped out the trigger for a Geissele and a Magpul stock because I like a newer configuration. I bagged up the old stuff in case someone wants the original parts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have three NIB M16A2s. One of which I decided 6 months back to make it not NIB any more. The first thing I did was replace the trigger with a Geissele SSF trigger. Then a MOE grip and LMT stock and LMT MRP 12" upper. Oiled all the NOS OEM stuff, put them in sealed bags and stored them in the original M16 box, to preserve in the case I ever want to revert back to the unfired oem stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
First thing I did was strip the thing and rebuild with all new parts. Not because I wanted to preserve the old wants but because I didn’t know how much wear and tear was on them. I wanted all new top of the line parts, the cost for all new parts is a drop in the bucket cost wise when you’re building a $30,000+ machine gun
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If the M16 isn't an all-matching factory Colt I wouldn't worry about preserving anything, but I'd definitely put a Geissele SSF in it. They're awesome.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Specialized armament has Colt full auto and 3 round burst kits if you are looking to redo the internals...
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fltacoma:
Specialized armament has Colt full auto and 3 round burst kits if you are looking to redo the internals...
View Quote

Whats the deal with no one making 4 way kits anymore?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
If the M16 isn't an all-matching factory Colt I wouldn't worry about preserving anything, but I'd definitely put a Geissele SSF in it. They're awesome.
View Quote

I've got no problem paying for a Geissele SSF, but I have read mixed reviews on compatibility with different uppers. My stock m16 lower has worked great on almost every upper I've put it on, even my 22lr (except for 1 300blk that I am diagnosing!)
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
First thing I did was strip the thing and rebuild with all new parts. Not because I wanted to preserve the old wants but because I didn’t know how much wear and tear was on them. I wanted all new top of the line parts, the cost for all new parts is a drop in the bucket cost wise when you’re building a $30,000+ machine gun
View Quote

I did the same, but for a combo of both reasons.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#10]
Originally Posted By TimelinexAZ:

I've got no problem paying for a Geissele SSF, but I have read mixed reviews on compatibility with different uppers. My stock m16 lower has worked great on almost every upper I've put it on, even my 22lr (except for 1 300blk that I am diagnosing!)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

I was in the same boat.  The stock trigger never had any issue with both my 22 setups.   The SSF worked with both 22s at first, then has some issues, I swapped the trip and its good to go.  I want to get a lot more rounds down range with it...but my gut is telling me the SSF is harder on the auto sear trips (at least in my 22 set up)...maybe not, could have just been a total coincidence...it is running great now, but like I said, I want to get a lot more rounds on it.

SSF also works perfectly on my CMMG radial delay uppers and my 300 blk and any 5.56 upper I ever put on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Note, the SSF is not hardened, the hammer will deform over time if used with a Colt style 9mm upper.  Geissele (now) specifically says their triggers are for 5.56 only.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the benefit of the G trigger? I have higher end triggers on all my nicer AR's and some of my LR rifles. When accuracy matters, I want a clean break and tuned weight.

But why in the m16? I'm just pulling the trigger and trying to stay in the vicinity of the target. I'm not using it for accuracy or for duty. The last thing i was thinking about was how the trigger wax on the stock GI trigger. Is there a benefit I'm missing?
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The Hiperfire trigger is really good. I like it a little more than the Geissele.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
When accuracy matters, I want a clean break and tuned weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
When accuracy matters, I want a clean break and tuned weight.
That's exactly what it does.
But why in the m16?
For semi-auto.

I'm just pulling the trigger and trying to stay in the vicinity of the target. I'm not using it for accuracy or for duty. The last thing i was thinking about was how the trigger wax on the stock GI trigger. Is there a benefit I'm missing?
If you're just blasting and having fun it's not needed. I like to be able to quickly make precise shots, and I use it on duty also.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:36:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#15]
What's the benefit of the G trigger? I have higher end triggers on all my nicer AR's and some of my LR rifles. When accuracy matters, I want a clean break and tuned weight.

But why in the m16? I'm just pulling the trigger and trying to stay in the vicinity of the target. I'm not using it for accuracy or for duty. The last thing i was thinking about was how the trigger wax on the stock GI trigger. Is there a benefit I'm missing?
View Quote

The pull is definitely better in full auto.  Your first round is going to be a better shot and you can do shorter controlled bursts...which can equal an extra squeeze or two on a mag. Doesn't matter on a mag dump, but shooting bursts at different targets and 2 liters and steel, etc...it makes a noticable difference IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I put the SSF on mine and it works with all the uppers I have tried on it as well as a dedicated .22 upper. I love the trigger on the SSF, especially on .22 in FA.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Heineken:

The pull is definitely better in full auto.  Your first round is going to be a better shot and you can do shorter controlled bursts...which can equal an extra squeeze or two on a mag. Doesn't matter on a mag dump, but shooting bursts at different targets and 2 liters and steel, etc...it makes a noticable difference IMHO.
View Quote

This is my experience as well. The SSF gives much better trigger control for bursts.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top