Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2022 11:43:26 AM EDT
I am done with Wheeler.  Not a bad kit for the money, but the quality start to finish is sub-par.

Their punch set arrived with quit a few not straight.  Roll pin starters were not too much better.  Wheeler does make a few products I've been happy with, but the quality on my last purchases have been should never have passed QC out the door.

I have a kit I bought about 10 years ago, but cannot remember who it was made by.

Anyone aware of a good quality, reliable all-in-one AR15 build toolset kit or one that can be pieced together?
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've pieced together stuff over the years but like Brownells screw drivers, Grace punches, Magpul wrench and block.  

Real Avid has a nice kit from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've pieced together stuff over the years but like Brownells screw drivers, Grace punches, Magpul wrench and block.  

Real Avid has a nice kit from what I've heard.
View Quote

Brownell's!  That's where I got these rollpin starters.  Real Avid has been super disappointing.  They have a kit that would be a good all-in-one, but on this kit, three of the punches bent like something out a a Wylie Coyote cartoon.  I ended up throwing them out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the platform I'm dealing with, I've pieced together commercial tools from various US manufacturers or sought out and bought USGI tools.

Brownells, Badger Ordnance, Schuster, Midwest Industries, Manson, Forster, Geissele, etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The best punches I have ever used are Starrett.
I have had decent luck with Wheeler and Brownells ($$)screwdriver sets but as you get along in the trade you will end up grinding a lot of your own bits for particular screws.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I just used my buddy’s Real Avid set.  It’s OK, but it’s made in China.  Wish I could find something domestic.  Tag for follow-up info.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
i bought the wheel digital tq wrench and the 40 something piece driver set and it seems high quality. And the AR-15 ARMORER'S SPECIALTY 4PC TOOL SET from brownells (100039526) has been good so far.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I do think you need to piece together your own kit if you want the good stuff. I've never had luck with kits regardless of who names on it or what its for. You typically end up paying for stuff you don't need and parts of the kit (if not all of the kit) will be sub par quality wise.

Fixed blade screwdrivers > Brownells or GraceUSA

1/4" drive screwdriver bits (Flat blade) > Brownells or Chapman (but be aware Chapman bits generally only work well with with Chapman drivers)

1/4" drive screwdriver bits (Hex, Torx, etc.) > Chapman (same caveat) or industrial brands like Apex, Wera, Hazmet, etc.

Ratcheting bit drivers > Snap-on or their more affordable sub brand Williams

Pin punches (steel and brass) > Starrett

Roll pin punches and roll pin starter punches > GraceUSA

Hex keys (L shaped and T handle) > Bondhus or Eklind.

US, German some Japanese made tools are the best. Taiwanese made tools are very good for the budget minded shopper. Just whatever do, stay away from anything made in China or India. Tools made in those countries are junk 99% of the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top