Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2023 10:45:26 PM EDT
I have a 700 i want to barrel swap.  Who works on these guns?  I known little about the bolt gun world.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Longrifles Inc is the best I’ve ever used.  They are not the cheapest, but are the best IMO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
For the money and options of services available, these guys are pretty hard to beat imho:
https://www.hartbarrels.com/Default.asp
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I should preface that I have a factory takeoff barrel ready to go.  Just needs swapped and head-spaced.   Don’t wanna buy somebody else’s barrel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy the tools and do it yourself.  Easy if you are going to Remage it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I should preface that I have a factory takeoff barrel ready to go.  Just needs swapped and head-spaced.   Don’t wanna buy somebody else’s barrel.
View Quote

It doesn't really work that way.

For most factory 700s, you have to cut a new chamber and threads to do it properly.  Anything else is a crapshoot.  

For example, headspace is normally done by cutting the chamber deeper with a reamer...and you need the same reamer that the original chamber was cut with as the dimensions can vary.  That is if Remington didn't try to hammer forge the chamber, which they were trying to do for a while with some success.  It would be extremely unlikely for a smith to have the perfect reamer to match your existing chamber and be able to cut it deeper or similar.  

If you want to rebarrel a 700, you pretty much have to do this:

1.  true/blueprint the action.  

2.  Buy a barrel blank in the correct dimensions, contour, twist, caliber.

3.  Have that barrel chambered and installed onto your action.  

4.  Finish/coat it to whatever color you want.  

That is the basic metalwork and you are likely looking at around 1K OTD with shipping.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Longrifles Inc is the best I’ve ever used.  They are not the cheapest, but are the best IMO.
View Quote

This right here.  They worked on my .308 and will be lightly massaging my .243 very soon.  Great work and great folks to work with.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 3:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Another good one, but likely a year wait, is Bartlein barrels, they do full gunsmithing,  and they are extremely good at it...Other than the time wait, they would be doing mine, instead I went to a defiance action so I could just have a smith whip up a barrel blank and I can install and double check headspace, that is the biggest advantage to some of the aftermarket actions if you want to run a shouldered barrel and not have to ship the action out every time it needs a barrel...
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It doesn't really work that way.

For most factory 700s, you have to cut a new chamber and threads to do it properly.  Anything else is a crapshoot.  

For example, headspace is normally done by cutting the chamber deeper with a reamer...and you need the same reamer that the original chamber was cut with as the dimensions can vary.  That is if Remington didn't try to hammer forge the chamber, which they were trying to do for a while with some success.  It would be extremely unlikely for a smith to have the perfect reamer to match your existing chamber and be able to cut it deeper or similar.  

If you want to rebarrel a 700, you pretty much have to do this:

1.  true/blueprint the action.  

2.  Buy a barrel blank in the correct dimensions, contour, twist, caliber.

3.  Have that barrel chambered and installed onto your action.  

4.  Finish/coat it to whatever color you want.  

That is the basic metalwork and you are likely looking at around 1K OTD with shipping.  

View Quote

@OP

The take off barrel could be used, you're just going to need to find someone who knows how to fine tune the headspace with adjustments using the recoil lugs and maybe the other components.

Here's an example:
https://rifleshooter.com/2017/08/installing-a-prefit-barrel-on-a-remington-700/

The problem is the more competent shops are going to prefer to use their own sourced barrels because they know what to expect and can turn work out faster that way.

I'd still suggest you reach out to HART barrels. They used to true up/rebuild the barreled actions for Iron Brigade Armory reusing the factory Remington barrels and they turned out some amazing guns for IBA by doing so. IBA is no longer in operation but the knowledge is still at Hart.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@OP

The take off barrel could be used, you're just going to need to find someone who knows how to fine tune the headspace with adjustments using the recoil lugs and maybe the other components.

Here's an example:
https://rifleshooter.com/2017/08/installing-a-prefit-barrel-on-a-remington-700/

The problem is the more competent shops are going to prefer to use their own sourced barrels because they know what to expect and can turn work out faster that way.

I'd still suggest you reach out to HART barrels. They used to true up/rebuild the barreled actions for Iron Brigade Armory reusing the factory Remington barrels and they turned out some amazing guns for IBA by doing so. IBA is no longer in operation but the knowledge is still at Hart.
View Quote

Where did you hear they were using factory take off barrels? The IBA’s I’ve handled had a larger OD than remington offered.

Was this part of some accurizing package?

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most decent shops will not want to do this, because it opens themselves up to scrutiny if it doesn’t shoot well. The headspace likely won’t match up anyway, so you’ll have machining cost tied into the project. Some factory barrels shoot decent, but they are not on the same level as a good high end barrel.

You’ll be time and money ahead by just buying a decent blank 3-400$ and having a shop to chamber it for you (2-250$).
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where did you hear they were using factory take off barrels? The IBA’s I’ve handled had a larger OD than remington offered.

Was this part of some accurizing package?

View Quote

I replied to you IM before I found this post....so here's my IM content for those that were asking/interested.[Edit to add I might be off a few years on the dates, it's run together a bit over the years]

It was direct from IBA circa 1995-2001'ish. I'm not saying every gun they turned out was an original Remington barrel, and if I posted that somewhere I apologize.

It was very common for IBA to take a heavy contour 700P provided by a customer or brand new from Remington for their own resale, send it to Hart for a rework to true the action + make any required headspace adjustments + make any changes to the barrel length + cut crowns, then reassemble where they put a few custom touches in place like polishing the action where the lugs move back and forth and such.  They would also make a few improvements to the stock system, such as bedding the action and refinish of the metal works, along with replacing the stock all together depending on what the customer sent them and requested as the final product.

I've got an example of the above in my safe from where a local agency guy sent his 700P to IBA to have shortened to 20" and given the full IBA work-over. Said rifle is a tack driver and it's pushing 8,000 rounds since it was done in 2002[-04'ish]. It hasn't seen much use in the last 10 years because I've got newer platforms, but it's a pretty cool old school setup that's fun to pull out every now and again.

All that said, if they were working from an action that had a lightweight contour barrel or a customer requested a higher level barrel, I'm quite sure they were able to accommodate the request.

A quick search on the internet can turn up this thread over on snipershide were several others who were in direct contact with IBA can attest to their use of Hart:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/chandlers-iron-brigade-armory-now-closed.6456955/

Hope that answers the questions you had.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Makes sense. I’d forgotten about their “accurizing” package.

Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a 700 i want to barrel swap.  Who works on these guns?  I known little about the bolt gun world.
View Quote

Don't know where you are in MO but there's several around the KC area.
GAP is in Nkc
several former GAP smiths
Moon is in kc.
Another one is in Weston.
There's an old timer up around Liberty. Pursell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top