Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2022 12:08:16 AM EDT
When did Ruger stop making the Scout in .223?  
Think they will ever make them again in that cal?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote

Probably not going to make them again. They've essentially been replaced by the Ruger American in 556/223. I purchased this 556 Scout in April 2021 from a LGS. NOS, manufactured in 2014. I'm guessing that was the last year.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Savage makes the 110 Scout Rifle in .223.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably not going to make them again. They've essentially been replaced by the Ruger American in 556/223. I purchased this 556 Scout in April 2021 from a LGS. NOS, manufactured in 2014. I'm guessing that was the last year.

https://i.imgur.com/vgPX2IR.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/vgPX2IR.jpg
The Gunsite doesn't take AR mags, which is what most .223 shooters seem to clamor for these days in bolt actions.  So it got replaced by the Ruger American 5.56, for which NoDak spud released bolt on iron sights, and I think Boyd's and other companies make different stocks.

Not a CRF action, but sells better.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Gunsite doesn't take AR mags, which is what most .223 shooters seem to clamor for these days in bolt actions.  So it got replaced by the Ruger American 5.56, for which NoDak spud released bolt on iron sights, and I think Boyd's and other companies make different stocks.

Not a CRF action, but sells better.
View Quote

Original Ruger Scout rifle was based on a modified Mauser action.  That action was/is relatively expensive to produce compared to subsequent actions offered by Ruger.

Poster above makes a good point about Controlled Round Feed (CRF).  Most Military rifles required such. Most modern actions not so much.

Ruger has been gradually moving to different actions, and away from Mauser-based actions.  These "modern" actions are generally easier (cheaper) to manufacture.

Done properly such modern actions will serve the sportsman well.  

I prefer the Mauser-based actions, as they are well proven and very robust.  Time will tell about the modern Ruger actions.

FWIW, my M1917 US rifle, and US 1903 Springfield rifle, both with a modified Mauser actions are still chugging along.

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top