Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 7/26/2021 6:17:15 PM EDT
Went to local funshop and we were just chatting about stuff.  Mentioned my son wanted to get into the 50 cal game.  His response was "don't let him do it, it's too dangerous."  Well, piqued my interest, so I continue the conversation.  "Why not?" I inquire.  "Well, I have seen it zip through an 8' berm like it isn't even there!"  

I advised him that we are fine as I have 100 acres we shoot on.  "Not near enough.  The bullet will go 2.5 miles.  Not near enough room!!"  Then I told him we have a substantial backstop.  It will be fine.  Again his response was " I can guarantee you it isn't enough."

By this time I am getting cracked up.......  I told him "Dude, we shoot into the side of a freakin mountain!!  I think that is sufficient!!"  At this point he mumbled something and wandered off.  

Don't consider myself an expert at anything, especially not the 50 cal game, so wandered over to snipers hide and their numbers seemed to indicate 36-42" was possible, more with wet dirt/clay, less with sand.  Also varies with projo.  We have dug a few out from cool holes in the hill that were a bit short of 3 ft.  

Anyone "zipped through an 8' berm" before??

Thanks
Doc
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
In for stories.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The guy at the gun store was FOS.

Check out this guy's YouTube channel.... he shoots through all kinds of stuff with his .50.

Attachment Attached File

If you have the means... I highly recommend you picking one up.

"If You Have The Means..." Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No, but I had a person set up on the bench to my left, his 50 was single shot and of course it was braked.   When he cut loose with a round, the muzzle blast blew my coffee right off the bench.  

That was almost fighting action to me, waste my only coffee.

I got him back, he set some tannerite out at 500 yards and couldn't hit it, after about 6 shots he asked me if I could hit it.  I was shooting my Sako TRG 22, one shot boom.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
We shot not telling how many thousands of .50's into a Super Trap chipped rubber trap system. Projectiles usually only went about 14"-16" into the chipped rubber. A dirt berm would probably stop them much more shallow.

Gun shop guy was like 90% of gun shop idiots........an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Your first mistake was talking to a gun shop employee.

Also, I’ve had a Barrett M99 for almost a year now. No regrets. Finally found a place to shoot it which was my fist excuse to not getting one.

Funny enough, 50 ammo hasn’t had the same price increase like other more common ammo.

Do it, you won’t have any regrets. Just buy a quality 50. Remember you don’t have to shoot it every range trip.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I generally don't mention my 50 to folks, even gun folks, because it brings out all kinds of tardation from otherwise reasonable people.

It's not a magic cartridge but it does deserve respect and a quality rifle.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top