Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2018 10:59:29 PM EDT
I'm not talking about builds, here. I'm talking firearms that were purchased with the intent to leave as is yet ended up vastly changed.

There's a few guns I have that through the years I've just not been able to leave enough alone.

The first is my 10/22. It was originally a standard stainless wood stocked carbine. Over the years I sought to make it more accurate and comfortable. All that's left is the receiver, trigger housing, bolt, and a few small parts.
20130927_132119 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
It shoots well to the point of boredom. It just effortlessly shoots tight groups. The wife and kid don't like it at all. They don't know what they're missing.

The next was this AR. It started as a ban era 20" A2 Hbar with non threaded barrel, neutered bayo lug, and big pin lower with sear block complete with the screw type pivot pin. It's gotta be the only Colt a guy couldn't recoup money on (I tried). Instead it evolved to it's current form, bastardized to the max. The factory barrel remains (albeit shortened, threaded, and re-profiled) as well as the original lower receiver and bolt group. I think Dissipators are the bees knees, and despite decades of resistance, I finally flat-topped it recently.
20180209_170420 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
The optic on that thing was an item of many swaps until Leupold made a 1-4x with a #1 reticle and CDS elevation knob at my request. I call it the most expensive shotgun scope in existence. It's awesome. It's a bit of a sleeper with a FF sleeve under the handguards and a 3.5lb match trigger. The GG&G MAD 600yd elevation adjustable rear sight is an old school cool gem I recently acquired. It's still a little heavy at 10lbs unloaded, but I like it more than ever now.

Lastly is my poor Colt (now Caspian) pistol. It was purchased as a GI style until I learned the wonders of the beavertail and was disappointed by the accuracy, warranting a match barrel and bushing. Eventually parts from a few makers found their way on it, until the fateful day it fell out of a backpack from a moving vehicle. The frame was tweaked enough that a Caspian replaced it. The slide and a few small parts are all what remain factory. It still remains a great shooting and dependable pistol, and my favorite of all. I've spent enough time on it, and it is so ugly and with mismatched finishes that it's a keeper, regardless
20140723_111359 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20140723_111443 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

My FIL had told me once that I've ruined my guns. Perhaps...but if they work better than they started and better suit my purposes I'll not care.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I bought a heavily sporterized SKS that was in an Archangel stock, had scope, mount, and bi-pod on it.  The gun was modified so much it would only fire single shot.  I've been working on unmodding it back to it's original configuration.

I bought a Remington 700 SPS, and it's unrecognizable now.  Changed out the stock, trigger, scope and mount on it.  It's awesome now!
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Listed locally on Armslist.
Sellers the one who bubba'ed it, from the description he's very proud of what he did to this poor SKS.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Ruger Mk.II of which NOTHING of the original gun remains, including the receiver

It happened over several years, a part here, a part there. One day I realized what I was shooting was nothing I had originally purchased.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Rick.  I wonder....  I've toyed with this idea, but your lower might be worth a pretty penny to a ban state.  I've thought about selling my A2 to a ban state because it was made in 1994 and has no evil features.  But plus I think the big thing is if the lower was built during the ban, a few of the states require them and they are worth a lot of money.   I think.......

Anyone want to comment on that?

So you finally did the deed and made it a flat top.  BOOOOOOOOOOOO.    It's probably more comfy to shoot though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I bought a heavily sporterized SKS that was in an Archangel stock, had scope, mount, and bi-pod on it.  The gun was modified so much it would only fire single shot.  I've been working on unmodding it back to it's original configuration.

I bought a Remington 700 SPS, and it's unrecognizable now.  Changed out the stock, trigger, scope and mount on it.  It's awesome now!
View Quote
Amazing how someone can take a solid and intrinsically reliable weapon and inadvertently make it completely non functional.

Where's the pics of that seven hundo?

I had a 700 VS back in the day with a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock and Timney trigger. It was ultimately kinda stupid, didn't shoot very well, and bored me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Listed locally on Armslist.
Sellers the one who bubba'ed it, from the description he's very proud of what he did to this poor SKS.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2018/02/13/7966772_01_custom_56_norinco_sks_640.jpg
View Quote
Dat's all extra, yo. Some of the Moist Nougats I see similarly bastardized on GB for a mint are always entertaining. I wonder what kinda people end up with the things.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a Ruger Mk.II of which NOTHING of the original gun remains, including the receiver

It happened over several years, a part here, a part there. One day I realized what I was shooting was nothing I had originally purchased.
View Quote
That very thing has tempted me as well. I've had a 22/45 MKII for ages, and have been tempted to get an aftermarket frame and upper. It ends up so expensive, tho...and mine already shoots pretty well. The grip frame is ugly and it's a little heavy, but for all practical purposes it's fine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rick.  I wonder....  I've toyed with this idea, but your lower might be worth a pretty penny to a ban state.  I've thought about selling my A2 to a ban state because it was made in 1994 and has no evil features.  But plus I think the big thing is if the lower was built during the ban, a few of the states require them and they are worth a lot of money.   I think.......

Anyone want to comment on that?

So you finally did the deed and made it a flat top.  BOOOOOOOOOOOO.    It's probably more comfy to shoot though.
View Quote
I knew you would not approve. Retro is in, and I'm going opposite. I'll probably keep that lower forever. It's been with me a long time. It's my first center fire rifle. Nostalgia and such.

I rarely used the irons, and the scope mounted on a carry handle, as much as I was in denial, is awkward.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#9]
These three might qualify, as they look nothing like the stock models.

Some people feel it's a crime to mod guns. I feel whatever makes you happy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top