Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 1:56:20 PM EDT
Found this on GunBroker (not mine, obviously):

US Property Marked Colt M16A1 UNFIRED NIB RARE

How likely is an unfired NIB U.S. Property M16?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s certainly possible. I just found a NIB 1974 SP1.  Not sure if I’ll keep it or look for a shooter.  I’ve never been an “unfired” guy. I want to shoot it at least a little but it seems a shame for guns to go so long unfired and then get shot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You see the sellers other auctions? Has a genuine Russian SVD and a Walther WA2000
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
There been a number of unfired, New in wrapped Garands found, so I suppose it's possible.

If it's government marked, how is it for sale on GB?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's government marked, how is it for sale on GB?
View Quote
There is a batch of transferrable M16A1s in the 5 million S/N range (5,3xx,xxx and 5,4xx,xxx typically) that are government marked.  Different stories are told about how they are transferrable, often being cited as excess or surplus contract guns used for Alaska Pipeline security.  Others have said Colt just used receivers they had in stock and sold out inventory without regard to markings when they went through one of many difficult financial times.  I have also been told that at least one of them was purchased out of a Police Department in Colorado.  I haven't seen anything authoritative on the guns, but wold love to hear from someone who worked at Colt and could tell the story.  Some folks suggest they are re-welds, but Norell guns are a mix of receivers (lots of Hydramatics) and don't fall into this consistent S/N range.  Also, some folks have x-rayed these series of guns and not found evidence of remanufacture.  I have never heard of one NIB before, but that would seem to suggest that Colt just sold off a batch of guns that were property marked in the transferrable channel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure there are some, but I wouldn't doubt that a lot are fired, cleaned dup and claimed to be unfired NIB when they certainly are not.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
There are lots of NIB collector grade guns that have never been fired, or put up for sale.

I think Tony or someone else did an estimate that most of the guns for sale over the years are the same ones, and the vast majority are not seen or sold.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, @tony_k once speculated about 7 years ago there were around a dozen NIB/unfired US Government Property M16 rifles in the registry; but I do not know if that was specific to M16A1 rifles or more rare variants.  Granted, this was before all these rare collector grade/marked Colts hit the market.  I can't find the thread now, but I think the discussion was around damcv62 talking about ripping two mags through an unfired M16 (XM177?) before selling it to a buyer.

ETA: There are a number of guns that have not been seen.  There were veiled references to all the NIB Colts (such as the Tool Room serial M4) a couple years before they surfaced in the wild.  With a couple thousand transferable models floating around, it's hard telling what is really out there.  Look at some of the passing references from members like BigBore; he mentioned one of his customers has six - 6! - M16s for sale he bought in the early 1980s and he did not realize how much they were worth but is holding onto them as it's a "family" of rifles.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ETA: There are a number of guns that have not been seen.  There were veiled references to all the NIB Colts (such as the Tool Room serial M4) a couple years before they surfaced in the wild.  With a couple thousand transferable models floating around, it's hard telling what is really out there.  Look at some of the passing references from members like BigBore; he mentioned one of his customers has six - 6! - M16s for sale he bought in the early 1980s and he did not realize how much they were worth but is holding onto them as it's a "family" of rifles.
View Quote
Most NFA MGs have not been seen, at least not in a long time. There is a Texas billionaire who has over 200 M16, according to the guy who sold them, another dealer told me he still has 100+ FNC sears, another told me he has 90 DIAS, and another has over 100 Tommy Guns. All are longtime collectors/exdealers/etc who bought before 86. Reed Knight himself has done interviews were he said her bought MAC10s by the pallet during the bankruptcy. Group Industries Uzis, SWD M11/9, thousands of thesehad disappeared for a decade before reappearing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is another 5,4xx,xxx S/N range U.S. property marked gun.  Not unfired, but in nice condition other than where someone installing the bolt release damaged the receiver.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11646-wtswtt-26500-reduced-colt-m16a1-property-of-us-govt-marked/
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The majority belong to Reed Knight, who cleaned out Colt's vaults under a business deal, and most probably will never appear on the market.
View Quote
I have heard the stories of Reed Knight buying pallets of M-16s from Colt, but curious why these would never appear on the market.  He is a very capable businessman, and for sure has a massive gain in this investment, but it is only an investment if he sells at some point.  I get that he appears to have enough to move the market so he wouldn't want to put them all out there at the same time, but at some point he or his heirs are going to want to turn those into money and realize his gains, right?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up my M16A1 and I'm fairly certain its never been fired. It was not advertised as unfired but after looking it over very closely there is not a single indicating mark that it has ever been fired. Debating if I should just leave it that way..
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an RR SP1 and an RLL for shooting. This is investment
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#17]
The box in the OPs link looks like a commercial shipping box, much like what a 6920 comes in... not a Military box.. Modern Military boxes open at the top, and the only internal dividers are at the ends to keep the rifle in the middle. They also contain the MILITARY manual, not the commercial one. I can't image that changed much.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Why do some have a "-" in m-16a1 and some do not?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You see the sellers other auctions? Has a genuine Russian SVD and a Walther WA2000
View Quote
yea I saw that

HERE is some of his other items for sale ( all super mint and expensive )

I bet this guys GB acct got hacked by a scammer

he has feedback of 1 single item as a seller ( 99% of his feedback is as a buyer )

seems strange he now has super expensive premium things for sale
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#21]
All I know is if I were rich I would buy everything he has.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had never noticed. All of the 9-mil SN series have no hyphen.
View Quote
That is what I am saying. The gunbroker gun has a dash.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Well the army has them.  I had a police agency loaner brand spanking new out of the factory card board box.  We were loaned various 1969-1972 brand newbnever used rifles.

Not sure how you get transferable ones.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had never noticed. All of the 9-mil SN series have no hyphen.
The gun in question is a 5 million series not 9 million
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I feel puny..... with my inferior

RR ar15 SGW.....

oh well.. I'll just keep on shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]
It's possible.

It was only a couple of years ago that I scored a dead freaking mint, unfired 601 compete upper (-bolt and carrier) still in Cosmoline, for all of 200 bucks.

I bought it for a retro build but actually I found that I simply did not have the heart to be the first person to shoot it and start putting wear and tear on an upper that had made it this far without even being cleaned of cosmoline.

I sold it to a "major player" in the MG market.   For a fair profit.  I'm sure it got mated up to a 601 correct lower in great condition and it's in some happy owner's safe by now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The gun in question is a 5 million series not 9 million
View Quote
ya think I spotted the dash but not the SN?

So are you saying 5M has hyphens, while 9M does not?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IIRC, @tony_k once speculated about 7 years ago there were around a dozen NIB/unfired US Government Property M16 rifles in the registry; but I do not know if that was specific to M16A1 rifles or more rare variants.  Granted, this was before all these rare collector grade/marked Colts hit the market.  I can't find the thread now, but I think the discussion was around damcv62 talking about ripping two mags through an unfired M16 (XM177?) before selling it to a buyer.

View Quote
It was a NIB M16A1 .gov prop marked gun. I was there when the buyer shot it. Was dishearting to say the least. The 600 some odd colts to be sold over the last 3 years from the “colt collector” likely had a couple more .gov prop marked A1’s. The number of A2 .gov prop marked guns had to be at least a couple hundred, they used to be top of the collector value mark but have suppressed the market something fierce.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The box in the OPs link looks like a commercial shipping box, much like what a 6920 comes in... not a Military box.. Modern Military boxes open at the top, and the only internal dividers are at the ends to keep the rifle in the middle. They also contain the MILITARY manual, not the commercial one. I can't image that changed much.
View Quote
The “colt collector” guns where mostly sold by one dealer, and he had a whole shop in his basement. Cases of flat Colt shipping boxes ready to be folded, Colt anti static bags, manuals, mag and cleaning kit packs. As a gun would sell they would just pop out a NIB kit for the gun. Just FYI.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yea I saw that

HERE is some of his other items for sale ( all super mint and expensive )

I bet this guys GB acct got hacked by a scammer

he has feedback of 1 single item as a seller ( 99% of his feedback is as a buyer )

seems strange he now has super expensive premium things for sale
View Quote
Nope, he is the real deal and you can buy with confidence from him
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I can tell you that they are definitely out there (my photos, not my gun):

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Found this on GunBroker (not mine, obviously):

US Property Marked Colt M16A1 UNFIRED NIB RARE

How likely is an unfired NIB U.S. Property M16?
View Quote
I'm sure it has been fired!
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I have seen 4 transferable property marked colt M16A2 guns that are new in box, the first 2 of have a 6 million serial number had 40mm launchers attached from colt. The 3rd one Has a 6 million serial number, the 4th has an 8 million serial number.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm sure it has been fired!
View Quote
NOPE!
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top