Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2018 3:37:32 PM EDT
Florida, hot, humid, not good for guns.

Any suggestions for keeping them Rust free? I was thinking vacuum pack anti-rust bags... But they are kind of expensive. thoughts? best bag for the money?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Florida, hot, humid, not good for guns.

Any suggestions for keeping them Rust free? I was thinking vacuum pack anti-rust bags... But they are kind of expensive. thoughts? best bag for the money?
View Quote
Uline anti rust paper $48.00 12"x50'
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Oil and a safe with a dehumidifier inside ( example goldenrod) should be all you need to do
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Eezox.  Best rust preventive I've seen.

As for storage, I dunno. Vacuum bags sound good, but I'd think you're trapping moisture in as much as keeping out. Can't really help on that though, never done long term storage.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a vaccuum bag along with dessicant bags?  I've had good luck with dessicant bags in sealed ammo cans.  In the cans without dessicant I can see where condensation formed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the goldenrod in my storage area but it doesn't seem to reduce the humidity enough.
I saw this on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Hysure-Portable-Dehumidifier-Purifier-Electric/dp/B0725ZY3P1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537535832&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+dehumidifiers+for+bedroom
It's only 8.2"x5.1"x4.3" it would need to be modified to have a drain hose.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Rig grease
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
vacuum bags never work despite people recommanding them.

they get pinholes in them when the metal hits another metal or rubs against something.

dehumidifier
boeshieild on gun that don't get used a lot
good maint on used guns

VCI bags/rods if you must
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I lived in Hawaii.

I came to the conclusion that rust was probably/maybe gonna happen to blued guns.  Even with a strict oil wiping prior to being put away.  This thought got me into buying stainless steel when I had a choice.

Good luck.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
cosmoline.

or oil+dessicants
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the goldenrod in my storage area but it doesn't seem to reduce the humidity enough.

I saw this on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Hysure-Portable-Dehumidifier-Purifier-Electric/dp/B0725ZY3P1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537535832&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+dehumidifiers+for+bedroom
It's only 8.2"x5.1"x4.3" it would need to be modified to have a drain hose.
View Quote
Golden rods do not decrease humidity. They raise the temp inside the safe above the dew point to prevent condensation of moisture. I find that 40W incandescent bulbs work better than a Golden Rod. There is a ton of info about this in the “ask thesafeguy” thread.

I also use the rechargeable desiccant “dehumidifiers”.

And VCI capsules.

I have been spitballing the idea of a small electric dehumidifier with a drain out of the safe. But if it fails, you will have a bucket of water in your safe....HUMIDIFYING the air.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly Sheath), and desiccant
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Golden rods do not decrease humidity. They raise the temp inside the safe above the dew point to prevent condensation of moisture. I find that 40W incandescent bulbs work better than a Golden Rod. There is a ton of info about this in the “ask thesafeguy” thread.

I also use the rechargeable desiccant “dehumidifiers”.

And VCI capsules.

I have been spitballing the idea of a small electric dehumidifier with a drain out of the safe. But if it fails, you will have a bucket of water in your safe....HUMIDIFYING the air.
View Quote
Which rechargeable ones?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Which rechargeable ones?
View Quote
I have two of these:
Eva Dry E500 renewable dehumidifier  

I plug them into a wall outlet for 48 hrs about once a month. You could certainly run more than two. I probably should add two more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#15]
It depends on how quickly you think you need to access them and what kinds of guns they are.  If it's an antique with a delicate blued finish I'd protect that differently than I would protect a Glock.

Steel components need to be oiled, but don't bother if it's too hard to get to (like a mag spring or something).

I recommend Ballistol because you'll want to lay it on pretty thick.  It will work as a lubricant, is non-toxic, and doesn't hurt leather and wood.

There is only one place that really, truly matters:  the chamber.  Brush your chambers, put patches over the brush to scrub them clean, and then oil them.  Remove the oil with patches before shooting however.  If the outside of your slide gets pitted, it won't really matter.  But if you have a pitted chamber that could easily lead to failures to extract.

Long term ammo needs to go in a quality ammo can with a dessicant inside.  Do not put any oil or solvents on the ammo, leave the ammo in the factory boxes, and don't handle loose rounds unless wearing a glove.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in FL... have all my life other than when in the military and even seven of the twenty I was still in FL.

I've never had a problem with rust, neither has my brother, who has also lived here all his life.

We keep our firearms inside the house, in a safe, with nothing extra. I'm in central FL and he's in north FL. I even lived on the west coast for a year... no problems.

Are any of you having rust issues? Even guns I have not shot in YEARS get pulled out once a year and looked at... no issues.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Dehumidifier in my 900 sq ft finished basement area keeps the safe room at about 33% and 40%  in the rest of the basement in humid TN summers. I have a golden rod in the safe also for over kill.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure why some many need to over complicate things.

Just use what our military, firearm and parts manufacturers all use...

VCI
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#19]
EDV-365AD-CS Eva-Dry Air Dry System Bundle

This one looks promising. I need to get one for my safe as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not sure why some many need to over complicate things.

Just use what our military, firearm and parts manufacturers all use...

VCI
View Quote
A bit of info or a link would be a help...............    
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I travel for a living so 90% of my collection gets stored. I have all my stuff in one of these bags. At 7.5 mil thick the chances are lower that you might punch a hole in the bag. I dont move my stuff around much so that prevents possible holes. I also oil the heck out of them beforehand. Been working for me for years. A few bucks to save a $1000 firearm is worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV3VTRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Fatboy safe in an a non-climate controlled room in SW Florida. Large Golden Rod. Only issues I’ve had are with guns that had some mild rust issues to begin with. In summer I might put a few of those moisture absorbers just to err on the side of caution. I use the safe regularly so I keep an eye on things. It’s been working great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top