Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2018 5:03:00 PM EDT
Just got a new house built, and trying to organize myself a bit. I currently have a Rock Chucker set up on a harbor freight bench in my closet. In the new house, I will have a full office/gun room with a shallow and wide closet I can set up the reloading in, and remove the doors(with the bench mounted, it will be flush to the exterior wall. Or....I can set up a reloading "room" in my unfinished basement. I live in CO, and it is VERY dry here, so much so, they install inline HUMIDIFIERS in the HVAC systems.

Pretty much looking for input on....setup reloading in my office/gun room, or  setup up in unfinished basement where I will eventually build an actual room.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a reloading bench master thread that has a ton of options.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Official-Reloading-Bench-Picture-Thread-Now-with-100-more-Pictures-/42-262015/

I prefer a reloading room in a basement or finished garage so long as you have some type of humidity control. I see you have that take care of, so I would just go with the option that is most convenient for you.

We built our house and I upgraded our garage to a 3 car garage, but sealed off the third car spot to make a devoted reloading room. It has a minisplit for HVAC with a dehumidify mode.

I like this option better than in the house because I can control the temp independent of the house HVAC and it's attached to the house so I'll actually use it more. I reloaded in a basement in my last house and I loved that too.

Here is a rendering of my current setup I'm finishing up now. Built the bench myself.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If the basement were never in danger of getting wet, I would build both gun and reloading room there.
You will no doubt add to your reloading supplies,and guns.
The other advantage is it would be more secure and away from prying eyes (my first concern).
Good luck on the new home.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Official-Reloading-Bench-Picture-Thread-Now-with-100-more-Pictures-/42-262015/

I prefer a reloading room in a basement or finished garage so long as you have some type of humidity control. I see you have that take care of, so I would just go with the option that is most convenient for you.

We built our house and I upgraded our garage to a 3 car garage, but sealed off the third car spot to make a devoted reloading room. It has a minisplit for HVAC with a dehumidify mode.

I like this option better than in the house because I can control the temp independent of the house HVAC and it's attached to the house so I'll actually use it more. I reloaded in a basement in my last house and I loved that too.

Here is a rendering of my current setup I'm finishing up now. Built the bench myself.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Josh_s_Shop_Final_with_Cabinets-594834.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Left_Bench-594835.JPG
View Quote
Nice setup! good luck on your new home
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as the basement is in no danger of water damage or flooding I would do that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you set up in a closet and want to expand a bit...you’ll probably be moving to the basement. I’d just start there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I say lay claim to the basement before your significant other does.......
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright, basement it is! I think I should consider setting up a progressive press now too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Alright, basement it is! I think I should consider setting up a progressive press now too.
View Quote
Do it! Look into the inline fabrication mounts too. If you go with the quick detach base you can swap out all of your presses onto a single base that is mounted to your bench. It's an awesome system.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a fast way to get set up: 

Prefinished cabinet bases with a thick top: 

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a spare room to reload/gun room.

It’s priceless in the winter/summer.

A couple ikea shelves for organizing, and old office U shaped desk for gun cleaning and a new bench for loading.

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I too live in Colorado and have my combined gun / reloading room in the basement even though I have room for a combined area in a spare bedroom (now that the kids are grown and gone).  I like the basement approach because it's more easily securable and much more temperature stable.  A couple of armored walls and secure entry and you've got a large, walk in safe to work in.   It makes it so that you can display your arms and have your ammo out in the open but when you close the door, they are all secure so you save on the price of a safe.

As to temperature stability, just last week when we hit 105 deg, the basement stayed a stable upper 60s just like it does in the dead of winter when it has dipped to as low as -21 deg.  In addition, with the heater / A/C unit down there in a separate section, the humidity stays very constantly low all year too which is perfect for storing both firearms and components, especially primers and powder.

Besides the great ideas for layouts, I'd recommend a single, simple 'mod' to your press to help with our low humidity.  Ground your press.  Yep, a simple 16 gauge wire run from one mounting bolt to the ground on a electrical outlet will ensure that static electricity doesn't build up in your press.  Speaking of electrical outlets, don't forget to include some right behind your press location so you can run lights and power up your casefeeder and bullet feeder.

Also, I really like having a magnifying, articulated desk light mounted right next to my press so I can move a light source around it and use the magnifying lens to see small spaces better.  Finally, a small air compressor for use cleaning your firearms and your press area makes life a breeze (it's right behind the blue waste basket and the yellow coiled hose with air nozzle is hooked to the bracket under the blue towel).

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
When I moved into my house (4 bed 2 bath) 8 years ago the first thing i did was build my gun / reloading room and this looks almost exactly what I did.  The room itself is approx 11' x 11' and the closet is a normal size for the room.  The bench (8' on 1 side, 7' middle and and 8' the other side) wraps around 3 walls like the pic above. The only difference is I only have cabinets on the "reloading side" of the bench where as i have shelves / pegboard on the "maintenance" side bench.  The 3rd (middle) bench is my reloading prep area.  I removed the sliding closet doors and that's where the safes are (fat boy jr and some Winchester that I keep my ammo in).  I also replaces the bedroom door from a standard hollow door to a solid door and a dead bolt.

We have been looking at moving and debating a new / custom build or what not but our thing is we want a basement.  My plan (if new build) is just normal build stuff but for the basement to make 1 of the rooms a "safe room"
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I vote basement.  It is amazing how much stuff you end up getting.  I have filled shelves with stuff  "I might need in the future" for cartridges I don't even have guns for.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#15]
My best friend started out in his basement in Colorado. Next thing you know, he has 3 Dillon 650s and 2x 550s down there, and spends all his time in his 'ammo factory' lol.

His wife and I are just jealous!
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#16]
The basement is great, except for having to carry all your crap upstairs.  I want to put an elevator to the garage in my next home.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I vote basement.  It is amazing how much stuff you end up getting.  I have filled shelves with stuff  "I might need in the future" for cartridges I don't even have guns for.
View Quote
LOL!...some truth to that.  But seriously, it is surprising how much gear and components build up when one gets serious about it.  One thing to consider depending on where you live is dust.  I see quite a few reloading rooms/setups that have lots of components and tools on open shelves.

That may work well in some climates or locations, but in my area there's just too much dust accumulating in a short period even with a well sealed home with climate control.  If that's an issue in your area, I suggest lots of cabinet and drawer setups in the room.

I use one long table for 3 presses and workspace for current projects.  What I like about cabinets and drawers is that it keeps the table top clutter down to the bare minimum, and of course dust collection on most of your stuff.  I even keep covers on the presses.

Parts bins of various sizes and designs go on any open shelving for small parts and tools so they stay clean and easily accessible.

Every place is going to be a little different, but I think cabinet and drawer systems tend to keep the clutter and dust down.

And I don't think it requires any custom cabinets and such.  There are some good affordable, stand alone setups that can be relatively inexpensive that can be lined along open walls where needed while using open shelves for bins and such.

And as always, preference can play a large part in the options.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in Michigan, and everybody had a basement - most were finished to some extent or another.  I can't count the number of school friends who had game rooms, pool rooms, "dens," and workshops in their basements.

I now live in San Antonio, Texas.  In most of this city, if you want a basement, you need to blast into the limestone.  Obviously that's not happening for most people.  I miss the option of a basement for whatever purpose I might want to put it to.

My loading/gun room is the smallest bedroom.  And small is a problem here, since between my safe, my bench, and a NSF wire shelf unit, there's not a lot of room to move around.

So from my perspective, and having the space limitations I do, I'd say to finish out that basement and use it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Josh_s_Shop_Final_with_Cabinets-594834.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Left_Bench-594835.JPG
View Quote
I did something similar as well.

It's a 12x20 that I loaded the long wall with a counter top & cabinets. It's also my computer/ lounging room with a mini-fridge. I can go from tumbling & loading ammo, building AR's, reaming barrels to looking stuff up on the internet (load data, etc), using autoCAD for designing wildcats, perusing arfcom, playing video games to having some beers & hanging out with guests all in the same room.

Drawers contain an assortment of tools from socket sets, Allen wrenches, torque wrenches, drills, drill bits, impacts, pliers, you name it, so I have everything I need while doing various things.

Lighting is 8 800 lumen LED puck lights on dimmers A very important aspect, you can't have too much well dispersed lighting, & the ability to control them, IMO.

Attachment Attached File

Future plans include a 3-in-1 lathe/mill/drill machine along the right hand wall & a metal cabinet for more reloading components. I'm also going to add a dry erase board under the short cabinets for jotting down stuff I need to know as I work through loads & load data.

OP, if starting from scratch I recommend at least a dual 20A circuit feeding the room. I have 3 20A circuits & a spare 50A 240V circuit in case I ever need it all ran off my basement sub panel.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Just completed.

Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]

You can't have too many ideas or too much bench.  Mine, 8' of bench, it looks like I have lots of room, right?  You should see it now with two progressives, two single stations, a bench primer, and a bench swager.  I would be happier with twice that now, but there's a door to storage rooms on either end.  Punt.

I used a torsion beam bench support (link below),  Such a design saves a lot of cost and material without sacrificing strength.  Triple 2x4 beam is ample at 36" high, but if you decide to build a higher bench you could even exchange the 3-2x4 beam for a 3-2x6 one.....

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=319362

Not shown is the Thumbers, the Lyman 2500 tumbler and the die, and component storage.  Preferably build a noise reduction closet  (insulate walls) and put your tumblers in that.  Tumbers MUST have their plugs connected to a switch/built-in timer so that flipping the switch automatically sets the timer for your previously set time.

If I had everything I want, I would pipe PVC under my bench connected to a shop vac......with outlets in a couple of places (vac of course would be in the NR closet above), and a switch to it in a handy place I can reach working at my bench.

Best lighting is LED can lights every 2' above your benches.  Florescents are ok, but leds are less hassle when it come time to change bulbs.....or worse, ballasts.  Plus unlike florescent lighting, you don't have to worry about having LEDs too close to your electronic scales.

Oh, and make a place for a vice, and a drill press is a handy feature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top