Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2020 10:00:25 PM EDT
Those of you who still polish in vibrating tumbler, has anyone ever tried cheap coffee as a polishing medium.

Coffee is gritty, and hard so is seems like some cheap Folger's ground could make for a good medium.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
As a certified caffeine junky and cheapskate.............. i drink at least 3 pots a day most days 4 or 5.

I've tried the cheapest coffee i could find to drink it's still more expensive than the correct size corn cob from zorro  ----  so unless someone has a smoking deal on coffee it wouldn't be cost effective.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a certified caffeine junky and cheapskate.............. i drink at least 3 pots a day most days 4 or 5.

I've tried the cheapest coffee i could find to drink it's still more expensive than the correct size corn cob from zorro  ----  so unless someone has a smoking deal on coffee it wouldn't be cost effective.
View Quote
I agree... I wouldn't waste even the cheapest coffee to replace tumbling media.

Bought 25 lbs of walnut media for $25 from Harbor freight. Not sure where you can find any coffee at $1/lb.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes new coffee way too expensive. You could however save your used grinds for a week or so, let them dry out and try that. It would be free, instead of trash.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#4]
With a 20% off HFT coupon the price of walnut media drops to $0.80 a lb. not including tax.

This coupon is good for the next 10 days:

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2019/08/20-off-any-single-item-at-harbor-freight/

Over the past 20 years I have tried all sorts of 'alternative' cleaning polishing medias and additives ranging from rice to baking soda.

Trust me...stick with walnut.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy your ground walnut at Wally World sold as lizard litter.
Buy your corn cob 14/20 grit at Graingers or McMaster Carr etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I think “used” coffee may be great idea. It also might make your rounds smell so nice too.

Things to consider.... You need a specific size ground. Maybe not fine espresso ground. ;)

Try it out. See if it works and report back.

Nothing wrong with re-using. Although, we use ours to keep snails out of pots in the back yard so don’t think I will be allowed to try it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy your ground walnut at Wally World sold as lizard litter.
Buy your corn cob 14/20 grit at Graingers or McMaster Carr etc.
View Quote
OP and I live in same AO the only local source for Lizard Litter is Petco. It's $0.40 more per pound than HFT.

Luckily a Grainger store is not too far away but I already have a 20 year supply of corn cob media.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to try mixing some espresso powder into my Titegroup so I can combine two of my favorite smells.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Ground (and unground) coffee has oils in it so that would potentially cause multiple problems.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ground (and unground) coffee has oils in it so that would potentially cause multiple problems.
View Quote
That and it’s just not as abrasive as walnut, or corn.

Brass will smell great, however.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I know that some coffee shops give away their used coffee grounds to use a garden mulch.  Most of the "goody" would be used up.  I would think that the ground coffee would be pretty inert and probably safe for polishing.

kwg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top