Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 4/27/2019 3:44:51 PM EDT
I just shot my two new Recces today, a 5 and a 7.  Afterwards I'm doing some cleaning and notice the 5 rattles inside, noticeable.  The 7 has a barely noticeable rattle. I can't see any visual evidence of damage like a strike or anything.  Rattle appears to stop when installed on the gun.

Thoughts?

note, I've emailed Griffin but would welcome feedback/experience here as these are my first silencers.

pics cuz why not:
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Griffin will likely want both back for inspection and repair if needed. There was another member that made a thread just a few weeks ago about his new recce5 having a rattling noise. Turned out a baffle was loose. Griffin fixed it no problem
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Griffin will likely want both back for inspection and repair if needed. There was another member that made a thread just a few weeks ago about his new recce5 having a rattling noise. Turned out a baffle was loose. Griffin fixed it no problem
View Quote
Good to know, thanks.  I did a search and didn't find it, sorry if I'm duping.  That said, I'm a little annoyed I guess.  Two brand new silencers that may need the same repair sounds like a pattern.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The rattling recces!! Interesting that this is another occurrence and curious as to the cause.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The rattling recces!! Interesting that this is another occurrence and curious as to the cause.
View Quote
lol, rattlin'!  Have you heard of other instances outside of what @Nyle_AR15 said or referring to the post he mentioned?  Honest question, I'm trying to educamate myself.  Probably doesn't matter now that I own two of them
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Damnit guys
Now I’m compelled to go shake mine after work
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny this thread popped up. I just sent my new recce 5 back to griffin after shooting it for the first time. Only put maybe 3 mags through it then took it off after it cooled down and set it down. Heard a slight rattle. Shook it a little harder and, yep definite rattle. They requested it back saying "that is definitely not normal". Tracking says it should be there monday. Ill keep you updated with what happens.

This is my second recce 5. First has couple thousand rounds through with no issues
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Funny this thread popped up. I just sent my new recce 5 back to griffin after shooting it for the first time. Only put maybe 3 mags through it then took it off after it cooled down and set it down. Heard a slight rattle. Shook it a little harder and, yep definite rattle. They requested it back saying "that is definitely not normal". Tracking says it should be there monday. Ill keep you updated with what happens.

This is my second recce 5. First has couple thousand rounds through with no issues
View Quote
please do, I'll do the same.

@bradpierson26 let us know if it rattles!
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

please do, I'll do the same.

@bradpierson26 let us know if it rattles!
View Quote
I have a 2yr old Recce 7 and it's fine. bradpierson26 has a recce 7 also but it's older than mine. Sounds like this rattling stuff is unique to recently approved cans.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Pretty weird sounds like a batch of bad cans left the factory. Would like to hear from green0 about this issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damnit guys
Now I’m compelled to go shake mine after work
View Quote
What about your silencer?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty weird sounds like a batch of bad cans left the factory. Would like to hear from green0 about this issue.
View Quote
Maybe he’ll stop by. @green0
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damnit guys
Now I'm compelled to go shake mine after work
View Quote
No shit. Mine is installed on the SBR sitting beside my chair and here I am shaking it like a Polaroid. No rattle, thankfully. Hope you get it squared away OP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No shit. Mine is installed on the SBR sitting beside my chair and here I am shaking it like a Polaroid. No rattle, thankfully. Hope you get it squared away OP.
View Quote
Thanks, I’m sure Griffin will make it right. Just a little bummed since they’re new and long wait blah blah blah. I hope the diagnose and/or repair doesn’t take long.

Loved using them though.  The 300BLK is totally hearing safe, so cool. Happy with the 5.56 also, decibal drop is considerable for sure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Rock solid

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
That has got to be the slickest 6.5 Grendel build I have ever seen. Details on the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That has got to be the slickest 6.5 Grendel build I have ever seen. Details on the barrel?
View Quote
Thanks!
Some no name nothing barrel from Classic Firearms.
Morgan at Class III machining chopped it for me, threaded 9/16. It’s somewhere around 11.2”, right where the flutes stopped. It was a M4 contour.

I creep in the IDF clone thread and wanted a retro gun but didn’t need another 556 so I built this sleeper
My favorite part is the Nodak half gate lower. It also has a RCA adjustable gas key
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I got an email from Griffin this morning, they said movement or noise in the baffle stack isn't normal (as expected).  Guess I'll be sending them in for review/repair.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#18]
@mzevenb3596 so we ship them on our own dime AND they charge $10 to ship them back?  
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@mzevenb3596 so we ship them on our own dime AND they charge $10 to ship them back?  
View Quote
That’s not cool.

SiCo paid for mine to be shipped both ways but honestly I’d much rather to pay shipping to them and possibly back to do next day air or something similar. Took my can damn near a week to get to SiCo. They fixed it in a few hours and sent it back.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the strangest erection right now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have the strangest erection right now.
View Quote
Lol
For as light as everything else is, the Recce is a chubby girl sitting up front there. I’ve been eying a Vox/Plan A or a Explorr
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That’s not cool.

SiCo paid for mine to be shipped both ways but honestly I’d much rather to pay shipping to them and possibly back to do next day air or something similar. Took my can damn near a week to get to SiCo. They fixed it in a few hours and sent it back.
View Quote
It could be that they'll pay for it to return, not sure yet.  They included a payment auth form with the return paperwork which didn't fill out, but it indicates a $10 return shipping.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It could be that they'll pay for it to return, not sure yet.  They included a payment auth form with the return paperwork which didn't fill out, but it indicates a $10 return shipping.
View Quote
Well considering they have a "Perpetual lifetime warranty"
https://www.griffinarmament.com/info/perpetuala-lifetime-warranty/

You shouldn't have to pay shipping, imo.

This seems to be an issue on newer cans. My Recce 5 mod 3 still holding up fierce
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Are these all Mod 4 cans with the issue?  I know they changed something with the welds/welding process with the Mod 4 versus the Mod 3....I wonder if it’s something to do with that.  My Mod 3 is solid as a rock
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are these all Mod 4 cans with the issue?  I know they changed something with the welds/welding process with the Mod 4 versus the Mod 3....I wonder if it’s something to do with that.  My Mod 3 is solid as a rock
View Quote
I'd say yes since they're recently approved cans. Unless someone is still selling new old stock somewhere. I don't think all mod 4s are affected cause mine is an early mod 4 "Trump Bucks" can
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get an e-mail to [email protected] and request an RMA, we will turn it around in 2-3 days when it gets here.
View Quote
Hey, thanks for the post!  I got the RMA and actually dropped them at USPS about an hour ago, be there in a few days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd say yes since they're recently approved cans. Unless someone is still selling new old stock somewhere. I don't think all mod 4s are affected cause mine is an early mod 4 "Trump Bucks" can
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
mine are both Mod4 and were new (not including the 300 days they sat waiting for the government to review my stuff).
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did pay to ship to them.  Tracking says they received it yesterday.  Not sure about return shipping. Would be kinda pissed if i had to pay return.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I did pay to ship to them.  Tracking says they received it yesterday.  Not sure about return shipping. Would be kinda pissed if i had to pay return.
View Quote
Same here. Hopefully not the case since I’m confident It’s an issue that I didn’t cause.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Just went and shook my Recce 5, Mod 3.   No rattles to report!
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I posted a similar situation with my Recce5 a couple weeks ago. It is a mod 4 for what it’s worth. Quick turn around and they paid the return shipping.
Since getting it back, I’ve shot a few 100 rounds through it on both a 10.3” build and a Recce 16 type build. No further issues and I am very pleased with the performance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Ant details on what was done regarding repairs?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I posted a similar situation with my Recce5 a couple weeks ago. It is a mod 4 for what it’s worth. Quick turn around and they paid the return shipping.
Since getting it back, I’ve shot a few 100 rounds through it on both a 10.3” build and a Recce 16 type build. No further issues and I am very pleased with the performance.
View Quote
Good to know. Would be curious if you got an explanation to the cause. Seems like there could be a pattern here.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#36]
No unfortunately I didn’t get any details. The person I spoke with said he didn’t have that information. Only that it was nothing that I did. My assumption is that the weld in that section of the baffle stack was not to spec.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No unfortunately I didn’t get any details. The person I spoke with said he didn’t have that information. Only that it was nothing that I did. My assumption is that the weld in that section of the baffle stack was not to spec.
View Quote
Then you should be reimbursed for the shipping you paid OR they should have sent you a shipping label. I would understand if it was something you did and they’re fixing for free...but that’s not the case here.

ETA: This is an easy fix. Take care of the customer and that customer will sing high praises of the CS and product. Don’t, and just the opposite will happen. Since some companies are on the smaller size, I understand that you can’t cover every mistake that the customer makes. If it’s a defect, stand behind the product and fix it on your dime. Things like this go a long way. Especially when there are multiple accounts of the same thing happing and it’s documented on a public forum.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I can’t get bent out of shape over one way shipping charges.  Griffin is a veteran owned company that employs Americans in America, I don’t think one way shipping charges are that important.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can’t get bent out of shape over one way shipping charges.  Griffin is a veteran owned company that employs Americans in America, I don’t think one way shipping charges are that important.
View Quote
I'm not too fired up about it either but seems like my issue isn't an isolated one, that's sort of what gets me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some companies go above and beyond sending a prepaid shipping label so there’s some precedent but alternatively, the dealership doesn’t pay for my gas to drive my car in for a recall or maintenance issue so I get it

I would be salty if they asked me to pay return shipping
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So the dealer pays for your gas to get back home?
View Quote
Usually they tell me they car is fucked and I buy a new one from them... lol
jk
But really though, I hope these are isolated Recce incidents
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not too fired up about it either but seems like my issue isn't an isolated one, that's sort of what gets me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The issue is definitely bad if widespread.  The shipping one way is nothing worth getting worked up about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Got an email today saying my recce was repaired and was getting sent back. No info on what was done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Got an email today saying my recce was repaired and was getting sent back. No info on what was done.
View Quote
My guess 2oz of Elmer’s glue then placed on a hotdog cooker roller for 2 hrs and then shipped back. Totally fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Mine doesn’t rattle but it really likes to stick to the mounts and take the mount off the barrel with it
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I suspect I'll hear back soon as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Mine doesn’t rattle but it really likes to stick to the mounts and take the mount off the barrel with it
View Quote
do you usually use any anti-seize?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did but I shouldn’t need it, griffin pushes having the taper after the threads but I’m a fan of the taper before, never had a problem with my sandman L coming off the mount ???????
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
This doesnt seem right. My threads are clean on the mount.

How hard are you torquing on the Recce 5 to the mount? It doesn't need to be cranked on, hence why the taper is there. Locks up.

Second, did you use a torque wrench and the proper recommended torque value to put on the muzzle device?

Also, how dirty is the threading in the can? Take a brush and clean that up a bit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top