Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2018 3:06:31 PM EDT
Seems like another 556 option
$945 MSRP
$851 on SS right now

Geez they have a lot of 556 options and this seems to really blur the line with the Optimus micro
M4 series
GP5
Optimus micro
Paladin 5
Recce 5
Etc

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool but that price tho.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Even more supposed to be coming.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool but that price tho.
View Quote
Not a chance when Turbos can be had for $350
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don’t get the infatuation with disassembling... or why I would buy this vs a Optimus micro

Sico is trying to consolidate product lines between saker and specwar and Griffin is diluting theirs.

Interesting shifts
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t feel like, as an Optimus Micro owner, that this is close to an OPM.  It’s 4+/- oz heavier, no barrel restrictions (12.5” 5.56 limit with the taper mount), the OD... just to start with.  The Paladin 5 seems like it’s made for much higher volume (even though I’m shooting a lot through the OPM from 5.56 and 224 Valkyrie)

I like the concept of it a lot, the 12.5oz is appealing, but for the price I’d have to suck up the 2oz and get another Recce 5.  However, I do remember the OPM unveiling a while back and it got a lot of flak, like “who would ever want that?” but I knew right off the bat it fit my criteria. The Paladin 5 is probably like that also

The Optimus Micro is getting a lot of action this hunting season....hardly noticeable carrying my rifle in the woods.

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a nice can but my Optimus Micro is already doing what I would've bought this can for.  Love my Optimus Micro
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
More options is always nice.  This might be a good first can for a guy who shoots rifles mainly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Less than that.  
View Quote
Where? Looked at HB....
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where? Looked at HB....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Less than that.  
Where? Looked at HB....
Pretty sure if you message them they'll give a code for an additional discount
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The Paladin is a user serviceable Recce. They’ve stated such with regard to the .30cal versions. So they’re now offering the Recce line and Paladin line in .233 and .30cal. Sounds pretty reasonable. The Optimus Micro isn’t marketed as a rugged do it all can, rather a little more specialized, so that one still makes sense to me. The GP series is their budget line, again, makes sense to me.

However, the pricing of the Paladin 5 doesn’t make a whole lot of sense considering where the rest of the market is. Also, offering so many different models could be a strategy to capture many different buyers or allow a buyer with different needs to remain in the Griffin brand, but it may also confuse buyers.

I was willing to spend the extra $150 for my Paladin .30 over the Recce 7 only because I have an ultrasonic cleaner and figured it would be nice to be able to clean my can every few thousand rounds or couple years vs just accepting that a rifle can will get a little heavier over time and lose a little bit of performance. Big deal? No but a $150 convenience I was OK with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Already have a Paladin in .30 cal waiting in jail, so no interest.  Even if the 5.56 version were available when I bought, I’d still go with the .30 cal version.  It’s fairly expensive, so why limit yourself to 5.56?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe the Griffin crew could grace us with their presence and sell us on the idea
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I can see it both ways. It makes sense to have 22 cal version. But then again, they already offer an endcap for the palidan.

What would make more sense is a 338 version of the Palidan.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Already have a Paladin in .30 cal waiting in jail, so no interest.  Even if the 5.56 version were available when I bought, I’d still go with the .30 cal version.  It’s fairly expensive, so why limit yourself to 5.56?
View Quote
Well in my case, if I want it and like the features, the money isn’t the object (unless it’s made out of a meteorite and costs as much as my house).  NFA has never been a cheap game.

5.56 cans are generally lighter and shorter. I’m the type of person that would rather buy one of each instead of swapping cans around all day

Different strokes and all that
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Meter numbers look really good
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Paladin is a user serviceable Recce. They’ve stated such with regard to the .30cal versions. So they’re now offering the Recce line and Paladin line in .233 and .30cal. Sounds pretty reasonable.
View Quote
You could also look at it as being similar to the user serviceable pistol cans, but able to deal with a lot more centerfire rifle.

A lot of new can owners are torn on getting a .22 can vs. something for their centerfire stuff.   Being able to disassemble and clean means you can use it for both of those things and save $200 on a stamp.

I don't think the price is out of line with the features at all.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmm, now I’m intrigued on what the new 5.56 offering is going to be.  Was looking to pick up a Recce 5 during a hopefully holiday sale before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There will be a fairly strong promo coming.
View Quote
By strong do you mean burning it with a flamethrower, launching it with a bow and then pulling it behind a four wheeler?

Can one get any stronger than that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not sure how anyone can classify 143db+ at the ear as "good."  It is the same as other high back pressure cans.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how anyone can classify 143db+ at the ear as "good."  It is the same as other high back pressure cans.
View Quote
An AGB should fix that right up
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don’t feel like, as an Optimus Micro owner, that this is close to an OPM.  It’s 4+/- oz heavier, no barrel restrictions (12.5” 5.56 limit with the taper mount), the OD... just to start with.  The Paladin 5 seems like it’s made for much higher volume (even though I’m shooting a lot through the OPM from 5.56 and 224 Valkyrie)

I like the concept of it a lot, the 12.5oz is appealing, but for the price I’d have to suck up the 2oz and get another Recce 5.  However, I do remember the OPM unveiling a while back and it got a lot of flak, like “who would ever want that?” but I knew right off the bat it fit my criteria. The Paladin 5 is probably like that also

The Optimus Micro is getting a lot of action this hunting season....hardly noticeable carrying my rifle in the woods.

http://i.imgur.com/j13cax4.jpg
View Quote
I still think the OPM is one of the coolest and best priced cans for guys who hunt with a 556 and like/need light weight and want to use it on a 22.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm, now I’m intrigued on what the new 5.56 offering is going to be.  Was looking to pick up a Recce 5 during a hopefully holiday sale before the end of the year.
Hoping for a small "k" 5.56 can. If it is I'll order it, just ordered a Micro30 but I'm hoping someone puts out a new small 5.56 can for a solid price.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#28]
An AGB will help, but cannot alleviate the problem entirely.  You can reduce flow, but not speed and pressure.  Lower back pressure designs (to a point) + AGB>>>High back pressure+AGB.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the Paladin .30 iir what they also call the Griffin ALPHA

Love this can. If you want you can change out the 30 cal. end cap to a .22 cal end cap for 5.56. I have the RECCE 5 MOD3 also. Hell I went nuts and bought 9 suppressors at one time. Love them all

One of my favorites though is the GRIFFIN SPR 5.56 OTB
I want to get the .22 cal end cap for the Paladin .30 and see how it works on a SBR 5.56

The Paladin .30 works great on 6.8 spc and 300 blkout

I really really like the tapered mounts also
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have the Paladin .30 iir what they also call the Griffin ALPHA

Love this can. If you want you can change out the 30 cal. end cap to a .22 cal end cap for 5.56. I have the RECCE 5 MOD3 also. Hell I went nuts and bought 9 suppressors at one time. Love them all

I want to get the .22 cal end cap for the Paladin .30 and see how it works on a SBR 5.56

The Paladin .30 works great on 6.8 spc and 300 blkout

View Quote
I echo this. My Alpha is my favorite can. I've debated getting the .22 endcap for it.
I think anyone looking at the Recce 7 should give the palidan a hard look before buying.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Less than that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Less than that.  
I hate you so much.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
An AGB will help, but cannot alleviate the problem entirely.  You can reduce flow, but not speed and pressure.  Lower back pressure designs (to a point) + AGB>>>High back pressure+AGB.
View Quote
Who are you talking to?

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm glad you like it.  When the Paladin came out under the Alpha name, when we first fired it we felt it was the most ideal multi role can we had run up to that point in time- it does ~134 in 5.56mm without the 5.56mm end cap and ~139 at the ear.   At 15 ounces, the Paladin 7 is lighter than a lot of 5.56mm cans.  6.5 sounds great also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the Paladin .30 iir what they also call the Griffin ALPHA

I want to get the .22 cal end cap for the Paladin .30 and see how it works on a SBR 5.56

The Paladin .30 works great on 6.8 spc and 300 blkout

I'm glad you like it.  When the Paladin came out under the Alpha name, when we first fired it we felt it was the most ideal multi role can we had run up to that point in time- it does ~134 in 5.56mm without the 5.56mm end cap and ~139 at the ear.   At 15 ounces, the Paladin 7 is lighter than a lot of 5.56mm cans.  6.5 sounds great also.
Have you got any numbers using the .22 cal end cap. On the SBR the RECCE is still a little loud. Your are correct. The weight of the Paladin is fantastic. I figure with the added size, volume and with the .22 end cap It'll work great . 5.56 sbr rifles

Really like GRIFFIN btw.

I own the
RSTA OTB 30 CAL
SPR OTB 5.56
RESISTANCE 9. Works great with .22 cal- up
PALADIN 30 cal.  With included adaptor great .22 and up
RECCE 5 MOD3

I also have the

TI RANT 45
YANKEE TITANIUM 30 CAL
WARLOCK .22 CAL
HYBRID

But now I'm still feeling the urge to buy more for some reason. It's like a drug.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh no doubt on the 300 blkout. I just started hunting hog using one. I am using the new black tip ammo designed for 300 blkout by barnes. Plus a well placed sub shot under 75 yds will drop one in its tracks.

That said though. You better have a very good sight picture and be a very good shooter using subs. Plus use a good bullets.

Shooting one using a sub and alot of times the others just stand there looking around or do not even really notice. IF YOU GET A KILL SHOT THAT DROPS THEM.

Also yes, using a bolt gun suppressed is way quieter than a semi for obvious reasons.

But I also use a LWRC SIX8 6.8 spc with the Paladin 30 works great. The SCAR 17 AND BLACK RAIN ORDINANCE AR10 with the RSTA 30 GREAT suppressor

But there is something about the 300 blkout I just really like. Maybe the fact the brass is easy to find and cheap, also to make. Plus the 30 cal bullet. Where as the 6.8 spc brass is hard to find and extremely expensive.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey Green0

I read some place that with the Resistance 9.  That you could use the blast shield gen 2 as a blast chamber on the Resistance 9.

This  would not only allow it to be used with taper mounts.

But also allow the Resistance to be used to fire in a limited fashion all the way up to 308 is this true.

If so explain please.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
@greeno

I can attest to this.. my Alpha on both my bolt 6.5s and AR10s is amazingly good.
Kinda makes me wish they had a dedicated.264 endcap for it.

Everyone that  has shot my Alpha has bought one. Extremely light weight and awesome performance and I can run all the subsonic 300blk I want without worries about gunking up the can because I can pull it apart and tumble the baffles.
It gets missed a lot but it's worth noting the Alpha/Palidan can be used on 300 Norma and 300 RUM.

Really want one in 338.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top