Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2018 1:34:24 AM EDT
So I've only shot my Grendel a couple times. It is pretty hard on my brass which is Hornady I believe. I think I only got 2 uses out of much of my brass bc the case necks are splitting. Would annealing the brass make it last longer? Or is there something that could be causing the cases to split? Or is two uses about all I can expect....

Bear creek arsenal barrel on my own build....fyi
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Annealing brass will help.. Is this new brass that you size/load/shoot/size/load/shoot and it splits the neck, or has it been loaded many times already? Also are you running max pressure loads?  Even my 300 rum running hot loads(230 Berger @3200) I normally get 8-10 loads out of a set  of brass...but I anneal every time...I rarely split a neck, my biggest case killer is small internal cracks starting just above the case head junction...second to that is primer pockets opening up...but even that is rare...
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Annealing brass will help.. Is this new brass that you size/load/shoot/size/load/shoot and it splits the neck, or has it been loaded many times already? Also are you running max pressure loads?  Even my 300 rum running hot loads(230 Berger @3200) I normally get 8-10 loads out of a set  of brass...but I anneal every time...I rarely split a neck, my biggest case killer is small internal cracks starting just above the case head junction...second to that is primer pockets opening up...but even that is rare...
View Quote
I didn't even think to check the cases that split. I did pick up about 18 cases at the range. So they may have been the ones that gave up the ghost. Def not running max loads and no pressure signs. The rest of my cases were new Hornady and they are taking a beating.

I should find a couple hundred rounds of steal cased to break this rifle in before I go diving into the reloads.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
How much bigger are the necks(non-split ) after firing? You shouldn't see split necks from two firings.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much bigger are the necks(non-split ) after firing? You shouldn't see split necks from two firings.
View Quote
I tossed them already..cant check
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Having spilt/cracked necks on Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass is very unusual.   What dies are you using?   Supposedly the Lee 6.5 Grendel dies over work the case necks.   I have no first hand experience with Lee 6.5 Grendel dies just something I’ve read.   I use Dillon case lube with good results with my 6.5 Grendel brass.    If your 6.5 Grendel brass is taking a beating you could cut a coil or two off your ejector.   Your 6.5 Grendel might be over gassed which can ding up brass.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
My Grendel is a baby on brass, it barely stretches, and only the primer pockets have opened up.  I have not had a split neck yet.  Hotter rounds I have for sure.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't have any split necks on the Hornady brass I loaded about one dozen times, but did have a few case head separations/cracked cases. Using Forster ultra match dies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't have any brass fired from this rifle?

Measure any case fired from this rifle at the neck, measure any loaded round at the neck. How much difference is there, .005", .010", .025" ?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You don't have any brass fired from this rifle?

Measure any case fired from this rifle at the neck, measure any loaded round at the neck. How much difference is there, .005", .010", .025" ?
View Quote
I'll check that next go around I already resisted my fired brass and sorted out the split cases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top