Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2022 7:25:51 PM EDT
The LGS had an SP5 for $3700 and a SP5L for $2600. Obviously I want the short configuration but at an $1100 premium I figured I can get chopped and still come out ahead? Did I make a horrible mistake?

It looks like S&H in Tulsa does a really nice job at this where you keep the tri-lug and threaded barrel. I'm going to SBR it so I'm not so concerned about resale value.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking of this myself.

Researching shows S&H seems the be the shyte at cutting down the barrel.

How much is this chop gonna cost?

Get it done and report back. That's an order.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
With the sp5l it would make for a great host for a mp5sd. Maybe something to consider.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I replaced the barrel on my Sp5l with a normal mp5 barrel. Came out great. Cost was 1 barrel and couple hundred to swap it out.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the sp5l it would make for a great host for a mp5sd. Maybe something to consider.
View Quote

Mine is for an MP5 donor. HKRalph SR uses the factory barrel to make the SD barrel so could not see sending out my spare SP5 just to have a perfectly good tri lug barrel chopped up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine is for an MP5 donor. HKRalph SR uses the factory barrel to make the SD barrel so could not see sending out my spare SP5 just to have a perfectly good tri lug barrel chopped up.
View Quote

Decades ago, I had RDTS make me an K-SD from a SP89. They used the factory barrel and the result was a barrel thinner than a P7M8
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Decades ago, I had RDTS make me an K-SD from a SP89. They used the factory barrel and the result was a barrel thinner than a P7M8
View Quote

I’m sure his methodology has changed a bit from decades ago. For one, he has changed the suppressor thread pitch to HK’s OE. Therefore, one would speculate barrel dimensions must be same to attach, say a B&T suppressor. I would not be having him do it if I was stuck with only one option of suppressor use. We shall see. I have a B&T barrel on hand as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s an odd one for sure.  The SP5L exists for the one person that wants a 16 inch barrel.

It’s imported in pistol config, sold in pistol config and the American user can then legally attach a stock on the firearm making it a legal rifle.  It can’t be imported as a rifle, meaning, it can’t be imported with a 16 inch barrel with a stock.  

That’s al I got on it, all around a poor idea.  

I have a HK SP5k that I had the barrel replaced with a B&T tri lug, internals replaced to handle a full auto trigger group.  All that was about $500-600 when they first came out.   Then I paid the $200 permission fee.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#8]
SP5L makes a great donor gun. hkralphjr2 did mine with a B&T barrel.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/C6v5mH6.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/C6v5mH6.jpg
View Quote
If you don't mind me asking, what is the ballpark cost on a conversion like that?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The LGS had an SP5 for $3700 and a SP5L for $2600. Obviously I want the short configuration but at an $1100 premium I figured I can get chopped and still come out ahead? Did I make a horrible mistake?

It looks like S&H in Tulsa does a really nice job at this where you keep the tri-lug and threaded barrel. I'm going to SBR it so I'm not so concerned about resale value.
View Quote

Not at all. B&T sells MP5 barrels new for $330 or so: https://bt-parts.com/b-t-hammer-forged-barrel-for-mp5-bt96-cal-9x19mm/

I used the SP5K/MP5K B&T barrel back with the SP5K didn't come with a three lug or thread for my SBR build. B&T makes great barrels for the MP5. They are not chrome lined but for 9 mm, who cares?

If you have the money, I would still find a SP5 and keep the SP5L as a reference for competition, etc.

PS: I used this man for my SP5K conversion: http://www.tscmachine.com/ . My friends with HK machine guns swear by him
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, what is the ballpark cost on a conversion like that?
View Quote

$2500ish for the work and SD cage. I provided B&T barrel, HK rubber handguard, and HK SD locking piece. You can save a little money going RCM but that seemed wrong when starting with an HK.

You are probably talking $6kish total for a converted SD.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

$2500ish for the work and SD cage. I provided B&T barrel, HK rubber handguard, and HK SD locking piece. You can save a little money going RCM but that seemed wrong when starting with an HK.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. That is probably more than I want to be into this thing right now. Good info though. That is a sweet looking gun you have there too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The hard part is the wait. I was told 6 months for my build and expect longer. These well known HK smiths are swamped with work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not at all. B&T sells MP5 barrels new for $330 or so: https://bt-parts.com/b-t-hammer-forged-barrel-for-mp5-bt96-cal-9x19mm/

I used the SP5K/MP5K B&T barrel back with the SP5K didn't come with a three lug or thread for my SBR build. B&T makes great barrels for the MP5. They are not chrome lined but for 9 mm, who cares?

If you have the money, I would still find a SP5 and keep the SP5L as a reference for competition, etc.

PS: I used this man for my SP5K conversion: http://www.tscmachine.com/ . My friends with HK machine guns swear by him
View Quote

Mike is great and the shop is amazing. I had him engrave a SBR for me, he showed me the shop real quick and and we were talking while someone else setup the gun for the engraving.

The only bummer is that he only works on HK's, and not clones. He told me there just is not enough attention to spec and using correct parts from so many companies out there that he does not want to end up going down a rabbit hole trying to work on one thing and seeing other stuff that is not right.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Couldn't you drill the 20 or so vent holes in the barrel like the original mp5sd had, chop it and thread it, and put a B&T Suppressor on it to duplicate the original SD?

Or is that what that other conversion was?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Couldn't you drill the 20 or so vent holes in the barrel like the original mp5sd had, chop it and thread it, and put a B&T Suppressor on it to duplicate the original SD?

View Quote

Not just that simple, the conversion consists of total front end refit. The SD requires a different sight tower, the barrel is only 5.75" is not part of it and the cage gets welded to it). The barrel needs threads at trunion side vs. muzzle and are a larger thread. The hand guard becomes a cage (with a rubber surround) that is welded to the receiver and becomes part of the weapon. The cocking tube needs to be swapped out for the SD version if you want SD correctness but that can be waived if you are not a stickler. Some leave the current semi shelf but other wanting sear host might have it converted to old school semi shelf....Although the SP5/L does not make a great candidate for a host due to the F/A carrier block weld into the receiver. As noted above, the SD requires a different locking piece and an HK piece can be tough to get at times and are at a premium compared to plain 100° when you can. Just a some off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not just that simple, the conversion consists of total front end refit. The SD requires a different sight tower, the barrel is only 5.75" is not part of it and the cage gets welded to it). The barrel needs threads at trunion side vs. muzzle and are a larger thread. The hand guard becomes a cage (with a rubber surround) that is welded to the receiver and becomes part of the weapon. The cocking tube needs to be swapped out for the SD version if you want SD correctness but that can be waived if you are not a stickler. Some leave the current semi shelf but other wanting sear host might have it converted to old school semi shelf....Although the SP5/L does not make a great candidate for a host due to the F/A carrier block weld into the receiver. As noted above, the SD requires a different locking piece and an HK piece can be tough to get at times and are at a premium compared to plain 100° when you can. Just a some off the top of my head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  Didn't know there was that much involved.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Guys who are lucky enough (or have no issue paying $5k) to source a German SD front end actually have it grafted onto the front end of a host weapon. You better know what you’re doing with that type of work-hence the wait and expense.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Update: Curtis from S and H called me back. It is $300 to cut the barrel and re-attach the lug. I sent it off yesterday. I'll post pics when I get it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top