Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 8:13:54 PM EDT
Got this marlin with full knowledge of its condition. How bad is this gouge of the bore in the goal of obtaining the greatest accuracy? I have no idea how the gouge was made. Lever guns are not exactly known for their moa accuracy, but I'm not opposed to making a project out of it.

Unfortunately, it is the 16" model so cutting it off would require cutting/crowning/threading/pinning the barrel, cutting back the mag tube half an inch, machining the sights and finding a .30 muzzle device svelte enough to fit overlapping the tube.

A 14.5-15 would be one of a kind.

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You copied the wrong link. Grab the one that says direct link.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  I don’t have anything useful but do you know how that happened?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow.  I don’t have anything useful but do you know how that happened?
View Quote
I'm guessing something was jammed down it. The rest of the bore is solid. I bought a 2.5x Leopold for it and intend to test it out, as it is pretty significant work for a rifle that can be bought $400 new.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Counterbore the barrel til just past the gouge.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Counterbore the barrel til just past the gouge.
View Quote
Exactly correct!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Counterbore the crap out of it! You could even get real fancy and machine in an integrated muzzle brake. I would counterbore then come in with a port up top that would take out that defect.

ETA: Actually, the counterbore itself might completely remove the defect. It's really hard to tell from the pics how deep it is. That would give you more freedom to design the brake however you wanted. I'm guessing it's a 30-30?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Tons of Mosins have been counterbored...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Counterbore the crap out of it! You could even get real fancy and machine in an integrated muzzle brake. I would counterbore then come in with a port up top that would take out that defect.

ETA: Actually, the counterbore itself might completely remove the defect. It's really hard to tell from the pics how deep it is. That would give you more freedom to design the brake however you wanted. I'm guessing it's a 30-30?
View Quote
Won’t matter as long as he counter bores larger than caliber. the defect will be irrelevant as long as the bullet doesn’t contact it.

Simple solution.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
First things first:  how does it shoot?

I've bought rifles and pistols with horrible bores, and I am sometimes surprised at how well they shoot.  Sometimes not.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First things first:  how does it shoot?

I've bought rifles and pistols with horrible bores, and I am sometimes surprised at how well they shoot.  Sometimes not.
View Quote
I'm  waiting for my xs rail to come in. I'm definitely trying to ring out its accuracy before I do anything major.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tons of Mosins have been counterbored...
View Quote
And MAS Mle. 36's left the factory like that.

OP: Have a reputable gunsmith counterbore it and don't look back.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Try backboring it like a counterbore, about 1/2", before completely reconfiguring the whole front end. If you can get it to shoot right without having to mess with the mag tube, that would be ideal.
View Quote
I would so how it shoots before doing anything to the bore.

Plenty of guns have many reasons their accuracy is limited.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats a bad place to have a damaged bore.  Counterboring sounds like the best bet for that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Knock the chip off first. Then shoot it and see how it goes. Although I doubt the chip will hang up a round it is sticking out quite a bit and that much impact on the projectile will have an effect until it wears down.
Because there is rifling before and after the chip it will most likey be ok.
There are always minor imperfections from bore to muzzle. That one is still only on one groove or land.
Get it smoothed out. I bet it is fine.
If not then back bore or cut, re crown.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Knock the chip off first. Then shoot it and see how it goes. Although I doubt the chip will hang up a round it is sticking out quite a bit and that much impact on the projectile will have an effect until it wears down.
View Quote
Very likely to be gone after the first shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top