Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2021 8:34:29 PM EDT
Ok it wasn’t really “scary” but my dogs seem a bit concerned. I filed a couple of Form 1’s last month to SBR an HK94 and an SP89.  The Form 1 on the 94 came back last night with no problem. For the SP89 I got an email from the examiner telling me there may be a problem with that firearm and needed me to confirm the serial number and asking me where I got it.

I bought the gun off of Gunbroker last year from a guy who had plenty of good reviews so I don’t think he stole it. The only thing I can think is that sometime in the past someone Form 1’d it but never took it off the registry or somewhere in the distant past someone stole the gun. The gun doesn’t have any extraneous engravings which would indicating it was SBR’d in the past so I’m just speculating. Whatever the case this has never happened to me before and I’ve probably filed 10 Form 1’s in my time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Weird.  All are possible but the gun being stolen is probably the best bet.  Tagging to find out the answer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  My bet is that it's reported stolen.  Maybe from some bored young punk writing serial numbers down from pictures he sees on the internet.  Maybe as part of an insurance fraud scam too.

If it is reported stolen, you'll lose the gun and the money you invested in it.  And get a refund for the tax and have to start over again from scratch.  Hope you didn't pay much for it.  

Was it used?  New would be a lot easier to show that it's not stolen, but you never know.

I have been wrong before, and I hope I am this time too.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.  My bet is that it's reported stolen.  Maybe from some bored young punk writing serial numbers down from pictures he sees on the internet.  Maybe as part of an insurance fraud scam too.

If it is reported stolen, you'll lose the gun and the money you invested in it.  And get a refund for the tax and have to start over again from scratch.  Hope you didn't pay much for it.  

Was it used?  New would be a lot easier to show that it's not stolen, but you never know.

I have been wrong before, and I hope I am this time too.

View Quote

Why would you intentionally post information that could be wrong?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you trying to say that my scenario is beyond the realm of possibility?  I know one guy in Georgia that a very similar thing happened to.

Guy wrote his serial number down, reported a burglary and gave the police the serial number.  Gun was logged into the national stolen firearm database, and the only thing that saved my friends gun was he had a receipt showing he bought the gun prior to when it was reported stolen.

I also still get emails from the Prince of Nigeria wanting to know where to send all the money.

And my phone has blown up lately because the factory warranty on my car may be set to expire soon and I should act now to avoid costly repair bills.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why would you intentionally post information that could be wrong?
View Quote

I think everyone is probably just speculating at this point. I will say that I provided the examiner with all the information she requested several days ago and since then I’ve heard nothing from them which is a bit frustrating. If the gun is stolen I’m not going to hide it. I’ll just give it back and take whatever action I need to take against the seller. I just don’t want anyone kicking in my door in the middle of the night executing a search warrant.

Maybe it’ll turn into something harmless I just wish she’d elaborate a little more as to what the problem is. The funny thing is I seriously contemplated not Form 1ing this gun since I have a sear when I wanted to put a stock on the gun I’d just put the sear in it. Oh well I put the sear in my SP5K which I bought new so I won’t have this problem.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you trying to say that my scenario is beyond the realm of possibility?  I know one guy in Georgia that a very similar thing happened to.

Guy wrote his serial number down, reported a burglary and gave the police the serial number.  Gun was logged into the national stolen firearm database, and the only thing that saved my friends gun was he had a receipt showing he bought the gun prior to when it was reported stolen.

I also still get emails from the Prince of Nigeria wanting to know where to send all the money.

And my phone has blown up lately because the factory warranty on my car may be set to expire soon and I should act now to avoid costly repair bills.

View Quote

I also know someone that this happened to. I even made a thread about it. He posted his guns on Facebook and someone went in and reported all the guns in his pics as stolen.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He posted his guns on Facebook and someone went in and reported all the guns in his pics as stolen.
View Quote
@amediocreshooter
So what happened to the guy who filed the false report?

Link to thread please?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to speculate and say that my first instinct was that, being it's an SP89, someone in the past had filed a Form 1 to SBR it and didn't send a letter advising the NFA branch to remove it from the registry. When you filed a new Form 1, the ATF found it in the registry and is trying to figure out if it transferred to you illegally as a SBR without an approved Form 4 or as a Title 1 pistol.  But that is pure speculation.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You could call your local law enforcement office and ask for teletype operator and have them check the serial number in the NCIC computer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You could call your local law enforcement office and ask for teletype operator and have them check the serial number in the NCIC computer.
View Quote
Yeah good luck with that. They hate doing it, and the inquiry has to be associated with an officer's name.

Around here you pretty much have to know somebody.

Maybe FL is better?

(I hear FL/FDLE has a public-facing "stolen things" database, but it only searches FL records.)

Here it is: http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/restricted/PAS/StolenGun.jsf
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm going to speculate and say that my first instinct was that, being it's an SP89, someone in the past had filed a Form 1 to SBR it and didn't send a letter advising the NFA branch to remove it from the registry. When you filed a new Form 1, the ATF found it in the registry and is trying to figure out if it transferred to you illegally as a SBR without an approved Form 4 or as a Title 1 pistol.  But that is pure speculation.
View Quote

I believe this is quite possible as well. Luckily I have a picture of when it was shipped to me and didn’t have a stock or vfg. It was used as a sear host so with the sear in it didn’t need to be SBR’d. Whatever the case I returned the pistol to the condition I got it in and just put it away in my safe. It’d be nice if the ATF would just let me know what the problem is so I could address it with them specifically.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Could be nothing. Form 1 a 68 DRACO-C, examiner wanted a picture of the SN, emailed it and got the form 1 back next day approved.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The verification of the serial number is no biggie.  That’s happened to me before, but this time they wanted to know who I got it from and where I got it.  That’s definitely different from any other Form 1 I’ve filed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I guess it was nothing since I just got the Form 1 approved. I officially have zero firearms left in pistol format. Everything has been properly stamped. I have 2 ARs one in 300 BO and one in .22.  I also have a couple of B&Ts, a TP9 and APC9 Pro SD as well as an HK UMP clone to go with the SP89 and SP5K plus the HK 94 away getting shortened.  It’s definitely time for a new project.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Better to be safe then sorry

https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/living-with-your-dog/choosing-a-boarding-kennel/
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe this is quite possible as well. Luckily I have a picture of when it was shipped to me and didn’t have a stock or vfg. It was used as a sear host so with the sear in it didn’t need to be SBR’d. Whatever the case I returned the pistol to the condition I got it in and just put it away in my safe. It’d be nice if the ATF would just let me know what the problem is so I could address it with them specifically.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used as a sear host eh?

I've seen lots of HK's registered as rr guns, but with a "married" conversion sear ........

Perhaps when that sear was "divorced", some record has remained with your host guns serial ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Used as a sear host eh?

I've seen lots of HK's registered as rr guns, but with a "married" conversion sear ........

Perhaps when that sear was "divorced", some record has remained with your host guns serial ?
View Quote

This is possible as well since I bought a Fleming Sear from the same guy at the time. Oh well. I have to say I don’t understand the dynamics of the so called “divorced sear,” but I should probably look into it. My sear is definitely not stamped as being with any particular gun and is listed as being approved for .308, 9mm, and .223.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagged for interest
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top