Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2018 1:39:37 AM EDT
Hey guys, this will be my first thread out of EE so I figured better post something unique.

So here it goes, picked up a CZ Bren 2 pistol in 7.62x39 today from Merchant Firearms in Phoenix, AZ and have
been playing with it for the rest of afternoon. Took it apart, messed around with accessories, measured its weight
and some quick thoughts.

The store got two of em in 556 and 762 respectively. They showed it off on their instagram caught my attention

Just when I walked into the store I saw them packing up the 556..someone bought it already!
I asked nicely and snapped a picture of it. Comes with two ar mags and a bag of tools/cleaning kit.

With the 556 gone, 7.62 became my only option. I did not quite want it until I had it in my hands, I always like the balanced feel when holding something
other than a handgun, this feels very balanced and handy. The trigger is nice like 805.

I also noticed the three position gas setting, according to the manual "2" is for adverse environment, "0" for no gas, upright being standard setting.

It uses its own mag and two of them are in the box, upon brief inspection they look to be high quality polymer mags, milspec I guess.
Also, it does have last round hold open, there is a AR style paddle and a switch thingy in the trigger guard, push up and hold to lock the bolt, press down to release.
The controls can be seen in this pic, ambi mag release is pretty much standard these days. Notice the captured pins which I like.

I bet the bolt carrier group dissembles in a similar way like a Scar.
Also you may have found out the gun comes with a buffer tube adapter installed, which is a huge plus imho, it also has a concaved portion for the sling plates!
All these nice details helped me set it up in no time.

Lastly the bag of accessories, I love the wrenches they included to remove the muzzle device, as it
was held in place similar to Steyr Aug FH-there is a locking nut which needs to be turned in the opposite
direction as you are removing the muzzle device. Two wrenches really help.

I cant wait to shoot this thing, hopefully someone else come out with a review of it surpressed.

Let me know what you guys think, Im no pro but will try to answer some questions regarding the gun.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:23:25 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the weight without the optics, iron sights, and mag?

Also is yours the 9"?

Congrats on the awesome purchase, I think you got the better option of the two with 7.62x39 as there are far fewer modern platforms in this calibre compare to 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also is yours the 9"?

Congrats on the awesome purchase, I think you got the better option of the two with 7.62x39 as there are far fewer modern platforms in this calibre compare to 5.56.
View Quote
Thanks! Without optic, buis, and mag the weight dropped from 7lbs 4.4oz to 5lbs 15oz, that still includes the SB brace, buffer tube, and magpul ASAP plate.
If the red dot was swapped to a T1 or something this thing would be in around 6.5lbs. Now I cant wait to see how it shoots at this weight and in this
caliber.

I think this is actually 8", but I could be wrong on that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations on your Bren 2. I grabbed the 11" 7.62x39 version from Merchant the same day they posted it up.

Yours is the 9" barrel. If you look on the gas cap, it is marked on there for barrel length and caliber.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Congratulations on your Bren 2. I grabbed the 11" 7.62x39 version from Merchant the same day they posted it up.

Yours is the 9" barrel. If you look on the gas cap, it is marked on there for barrel length and caliber.
View Quote
Thanks for the info! I like how its clearly marked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Stupid question, do they take AK mags or special CZ only mag?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the barrel chrome lined and can you use AR15 7.62x39 mags in it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Damnit!  I was there fondling both of them on Friday and I was just get ready to sell a couple things and buy it on Monday.
I was blown away by how much lighter and even thinner the front end felt then the 805. Still love my 805 but the 805-2 is a big improvement IMO.
I guess I should be happy now I don't feel the pressure to buy it right now so I can wait until I have the cash.
Congrats on the purchase it really is an awesome piece.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Assuming these can take the aftermarket 805 charging handles like the KNS. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Charging handle looked totally different more like the Sig 550 series rifles. Looked more flat not round like the 805. You can see it in his pic above
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The charging handle is different from 805 s1 as far as I can tell. I compared mine with what KNS has on their website and they look really different.

You actually might not need to swap it out because its NON-RECIPROCATING. Use it like an AR, it has an ambi bolt catch in triggerguard, too.

The mags are proprietary as far as I know, so Im stuck with two mags only at the moment.

Just came back from a local range and I like it even more now, for this caliber in this size the recoil is very manageable. Also the FH works like a charm--
no fireball(could be a disadvantage for some), compared to the ARs being fired two lanes down it was
actually not that loud as well. Lastly my wife fired two shots and said she felt fine, note she is still a newbie who normally shoots 10/22 and a VP9, she
fired my stamped AK once and did not like it at all. At this point I think the Bren 2 is definitely a killer!
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Damnit!  I was there fondling both of them on Friday and I was just get ready to sell a couple things and buy it on Monday.
I was blown away by how much lighter and even thinner the front end felt then the 805. Still love my 805 but the 805-2 is a big improvement IMO.
I guess I should be happy now I don't feel the pressure to buy it right now so I can wait until I have the cash.
Congrats on the purchase it really is an awesome piece.
View Quote
Made it easy for you didnt I

Passed by the store again today and guess what? The 556 buyer backed out! So the 556 version is still on the wall:)
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid question, do they take AK mags or special CZ only mag?
The mags are neither AK mags nor 762 39 AR mags :(

From what I can tell, the chamber and bore are chrome-lined, CHF bbl, too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks! Without optic, buis, and mag the weight dropped from 7lbs 4.4oz to 5lbs 15oz, that still includes the SB brace, buffer tube, and magpul ASAP plate.
If the red dot was swapped to a T1 or something this thing would be in around 6.5lbs. Now I cant wait to see how it shoots at this weight and in this
caliber.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also is yours the 9"?

caliber.

Nice. I’ve been lusting after a SCAR/ACR/XCR type rifle. I’ll need to hold off and see what the weight numbers are for the 14.5” and rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
man I live not too far from Merchant and missed this, guess I need to use more social media...    since half the posters shop Merchant Arms, need a get together day at the range...

do you guys head to the shoots he hosts?  they should be starting up soon.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Big F-U for the the proprietary 7.62x39 mags (WTF, if you're looking for global contracts).  Other than that, I'm willing to overlook that if the accuracy is there.  I've been holding out on the Bren, waiting for this caliber.  From what I've read so far, looks good, but I need some range reports.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Non reciprocating charge handle Is a big plus but proprietary mags turn it off for me.
Looks nice, good weight. Love to hear some more reviews.

I’ll just continue to love my 7.62x39 AR’s
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Big F-U for the the proprietary 7.62x39 mags (WTF, if you're looking for global contracts).  Other than that, I'm willing to overlook that if the accuracy is there.  I've been holding out on the Bren, waiting for this caliber.  From what I've read so far, looks good, but I need some range reports.
View Quote
Guy on youtube just cut the catch and tab off a polymer ak 47 mag and cut a side hole for the mag catch and it worked in the bren 2
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guy on youtube just cut the catch and tab off a polymer ak 47 mag and cut a side hole for the mag catch and it worked in the bren 2
View Quote
Link?

ETA No BHO though with a modded AK mag
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
@louislee6

How's the weight distribution? Is it pretty evenly distributed or a bit nose heavy like the Bren 1s?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
my 11" 7.62x39 version, with the SBA3 brace, the CG is right at the front wall of the magwell.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Like Trpclfvr said, I have asimilar setup and the balance point is right there when you grab the gun at the front of magwell. Not nose heavy for sure. Longer barrel may change that though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome, thanks for the replies gents!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Just watched some Bren 2 vids on youtube. The lop with the sba3 extended looks really long. ATF has said (according to info posted in several ar pistol tech threads) that lop for a pistol brace can't go over 13.5" or the brace becomes a stock (rolls eyes). Anyway, would you mind measuring lop for the hive?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I wanted one in 762x39 but they don’t take standard ak mags made it a deal breaker
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice catch! I can't wait until the Bren 2 is more prevalent in the US. I will definitely be picking up one or three.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top