Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2022 7:53:05 PM EDT

I do need to get an illuminator...probably get a DBAL and move this Holosun laser onto a secondary rifle.

Eotech EXPS3 on Unity 2.26
Geissele upper/rail
MI fixed sights
Holosun IR laser
Aero lower
Toolcraft NiB BCG
FN CL barrel 1/7
B5 stock, BCM grip, Magpul VFG
Geissele G2S trigger
Manticore Arms FH
Griffin Armament LPGB
H2 buffer
Geissele charging handle
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your goggle setup?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your goggle setup?
View Quote

Unfilmed white phosphorus PVS14 from TNVC on a Norotos AKA2 mount. The PVS should hopefully be shipping soon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Get rid of that riser and it will be great. No need to go that high
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
2.28 height is great.   Personally I love it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
2.28 height is great.   Personally I love it.
View Quote

1.93 max. Anything other than that you are making your height overbore extreme. Makes it tough going from 20 yards to 300 yards on the fly with the same optic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1.93 max. Anything other than that you are making your height overbore extreme. Makes it tough going from 20 yards to 300 yards on the fly with the same optic.
View Quote

This is M193 with 50 yard zero and an EXPS on a 2.26 mount.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like being able to look through the optic and not smack my DTNVG housings on the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

What makes 1.93 the max? Before 1.93, 1.7 was the max. Before that it was 1.54. Picking 1.93 seems arbitrary.

If someone is already having to account for a 2.93" height over bore at close range, is an extra .3" really a deal breaker? Especially if it's the difference that allows you to passively aim without changing how the rifle is shouldered?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
1.93 comes from clearing a PEQ-2 with a Short Dot LPVO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
In my experience the higher optics offset matters very little for practical shooting past 25 yards or so. I guess YRMV…
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out the LUNA elir-3

JRH sells them when they come into the country
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the height myself.  Makes a huge difference in getting tube behind reticle.  

With a 1x NV optic you are basically shooting at 100m or less.  Probably much less for positive target ID.  You really can't engage at longer distances until you have magnification and clip ons.  If it shoots well from 0 to 100m, I'd say you're GTG.    

If this is primarily for night time use, either shit-can the iron sights, or get them up on risers to see though optic.  I would say consider tritium sights but they bloom so bad with NV to be practically unusable.  You can get cheap riser segments all day long on ebay, amazon, etc. if you want to maintain.  Or just drop, if this is a dedicated rifle that will probably not see the light of day.  You will get many opinions on this.  Basically you have red dot sight primaries, both for viz, and IR aiming.  And you can add both viz and IR illum as required.  Your secondaries could be both viz and IR lasers.   So in this case, iron sights are tertiary.   Up to you whether to retain or not.  

Paint that rifle.  All those anodized colors are supposed to be better in NIR, but a nice flat coat of paint is even better.  Have your buddy patrol in front of you to see what glints and so forth.  This usually comes as a shock to most folks, even G-WOT vets.  Been a long time since we worried about this kind of stuff.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh just stop.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like the height myself.  Makes a huge difference in getting tube behind reticle.  

With a 1x NV optic you are basically shooting at 100m or less.  Probably much less for positive target ID.  You really can't engage at longer distances until you have magnification and clip ons.  If it shoots well from 0 to 100m, I'd say you're GTG.    

If this is primarily for night time use, either shit-can the iron sights, or get them up on risers to see though optic.  I would say consider tritium sights but they bloom so bad with NV to be practically unusable.  You can get cheap riser segments all day long on ebay, amazon, etc. if you want to maintain.  Or just drop, if this is a dedicated rifle that will probably not see the light of day.  You will get many opinions on this.  Basically you have red dot sight primaries, both for viz, and IR aiming.  And you can add both viz and IR illum as required.  Your secondaries could be both viz and IR lasers.   So in this case, iron sights are tertiary.   Up to you whether to retain or not.  

Paint that rifle.  All those anodized colors are supposed to be better in NIR, but a nice flat coat of paint is even better.  Have your buddy patrol in front of you to see what glints and so forth.  This usually comes as a shock to most folks, even G-WOT vets.  Been a long time since we worried about this kind of stuff.  

View Quote

I'll keep them, I never have no irons on a fighting rifle personally.  The Eotech is QD and I can see the irons with the Unity riser still attached. I agree 100% on the paint...if it comes to that. If it comes time to start using the rifle for real she'll get a quick spray down. I do have painted rifles but keeping this one as it is for now. The lower is cerakoted FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a rifle set up with a 3.9" height over bore. The MPBR is 203 yards with a 39 yard zero and a 3" vital zone radius.

Make the height over bore what's ergonomic for the use case and the rest will solve itself.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Horseshit.  That is all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll keep them, I never have no irons on a fighting rifle personally.  The Eotech is QD and I can see the irons with the Unity riser still attached. I agree 100% on the paint...if it comes to that. If it comes time to start using the rifle for real she'll get a quick spray down. I do have painted rifles but keeping this one as it is for now. The lower is cerakoted FWIW.
View Quote

I’d definitely ditch the irons. Or at-least go fold down.

Your pvs will be hitting the rear and already hard to passive aim so no need in blurring up the sight picture with a front post on a rifle that doesn’t have fixed FSB.

Just my 2 cents.

It’s what I did with one of my 2 night rigs.

One is slick the other has a folding rear.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Unity 2.26 Master Race checking in.

Gun looks nice, but shooting unsuppressed is just uncivilized.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you guys really shooting out to 300 yards at night through a PVS14 with a red dot or holo? Better than I can do. I don't think I could positive ID something that far out at night with a 1X.

Ringing steel or hunting?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Are you guys really shooting out to 300 yards at night through a PVS14 with a red dot or holo? Better than I can do. I don't think I could positive ID something that far out at night with a 1X.

View Quote

Shoot first; ask questions later
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have to PID, your ROE sucks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you have to PID, your ROE sucks.
View Quote

ROFL!  Awesome.

I'm also running a mix of 1.93 and 2.26 depending on the gun.  My APC has a 1.93 mount because of how high the top rail is on that gun.  Zero issues getting a PVS14 behind it to passively aim.  My AR's run 2.26 height Eotechs and I have zero issues making hits.  Realistically speaking, how far are you guys actually engaging with your NV guns and red dots?
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ROFL!  Awesome.

I'm also running a mix of 1.93 and 2.26 depending on the gun.  My APC has a 1.93 mount because of how high the top rail is on that gun.  Zero issues getting a PVS14 behind it to passively aim.  My AR's run 2.26 height Eotechs and I have zero issues making hits.  Realistically speaking, how far are you guys actually engaging with your NV guns and red dots?
View Quote

If you overlap your IR laser to your already zeroed red dot at the furthest distance you can see, your hold overs/height over bore etc will be the same as your RDS. I use a 50/200 since everything beyond 200 is a hold over.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you overlap your IR laser to your already zeroed red dot at the furthest distance you can see, your hold overs/height over bore etc will be the same as your RDS. I use a 50/200 since everything beyond 200 is a hold over.
View Quote

Theoretically that's all good but the real question is, what is your actual realistic engagement distance???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top