Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2018 10:42:33 PM EDT
A few months ago I decided my collection was missing a subgun.

I did a bunch of research and decided I wanted a MP5 clone, and settled on the PTR 9CT.  I picked the PTR because Atlantic Firearms has a killer deal for the pistol with a nice case and brace.  PTR also has a great reputation for making quality stuff.

I was seriously considering the Scorpion EVO and could have almost bought 2 for what the 9CT cost, but I really wanted the classic MP5 look.  By the time I was done putting a brace on the Scorpion, upgrading the trigger, safety, and charging handle, etc, it was within a few hundred dollars.

I ordered the pistol Saturday night, and got a shipping notification on Monday morning.  It was in my hands by Wednesday afternoon, and I took it out and shot it on Thursday.  Nice job Atlantic!

So here’s my quick review:

The case that it comes in is nice.  Really nice.
I was a little worried that once I put the brace on it, I wouldn’t be able to use the case anymore, but with a little trimming it fits just fine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Fit and finish are very good.  The welds are very good.  They’re not perfect, but they’re better than the Zenith Z5RS’ that I’ve handled. The finish appears to be powder coating?  It’s even, and seems to be pretty durable.
The trigger has a little creep, but breaks consistently at 6.5-7lb.  I don’t think that’s bad at all for a PCC.
The M-Lok handguard is a nice upgrade, but I could really do without the “PTR” billboard.  I may get it cerakoted if it continues to annoy me.
The 2 supplied mags are pretty nice.  I don't know who makes them, but they work.  It would have been nice to get 3 like the Zenith.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I cleaned it, lubed it, and took it to the range.  I didn’t attempt to shoot it without the brace because, it came with the brace, and frankly, I didn’t want to.
I loaded both 30rd mags with 124gr Winchester NATO target ammo, set up my targets and began to shoot.
The second round out of the mag stove piped on me.  I’m thinking..shit, here we go…
The gun then proceeded to eat another 298rds without a stoppage.  I tried several different types and brands of ammo, including my reloads, and it ate it all.

This thing is a lot of fun to shoot.  It’s easy to shoot fast.  Put the front post on the target and pull the trigger.  It’ll hit it.  I didn’t have to adjust the sights at all.  
Here's 50rds at 25yds standing unsupported, firing pretty quickly.  My eyesight isn't what it used to be.  It's getting tougher to shoot at distance with irons.

Attachment Attached File

Now I’m going to have to get a suppressor for it.  This thing is a keeper.

TL/DR:
Me likey.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I got mine last month from Atlantic Firearms as well.  Great gun, minimal recoil, extremely accurate, no sight adjustment needed.  I am following the PTR 9CT instruction book for the breaking in the barrel and am still cleaning the barrel after every 20 rounds.  Another range trip and I should complete the process at 300 rounds.  Can't wait to be done with that.  Enjoy!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Have you gotten any word on K type offerings coming out?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Have you gotten any word on K type offerings coming out?
View Quote
This. Or calibers other than 9mm, like say 10mm
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Another 300 through it today.
My dad, my 13yr old son, and 14yr old nephew shot it today, and they all had a good time with it.
This thing just eats.

The buffer built into the brace started coming apart today.  I've sent an email off to SB Tactical.
Has anyone else had a problem?
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. Or calibers other than 9mm, like say 10mm
View Quote

223 from AR mags...?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I see a couple of SB Tac braces, is this the normal? (Not K?)

No one makes a collapsing brace for them, right?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Was it not Quote: forbidden to actually shoulder a pistol with a wrist brace :EndQuote ??

I thought that is why they remain legal, Quote: as no one actually shoulders pistols with wrist braces :EndQuote.

What was Atlantic thinking in their picture?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Have yous guys fired Hollow Point ammo in the PTR 9CT?

I called PTR and the Rep. said that the PTR 9CT is not designed to shoot (properly feed)
Hollow Point ammo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have yous guys fired Hollow Point ammo in the PTR 9CT?

I called PTR and the Rep. said that the PTR 9CT is not designed to shoot (properly feed)
Hollow Point ammo.
View Quote
Not yet, but I'll shoot some this coming weekend and report back.
I can't imagine it'll have an issue.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not yet, but I'll shoot some this coming weekend and report back.
View Quote
Did you ever try hollow points?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup.  It had no issues at all with 115gr Rainiers.  I ran through 150 or so.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Is their any advantage going with the longer and heavier model vs the K?

I have a zenith in the K config and would not want it any longer. Especially riding a suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got this PPU 147gr JHP stuff a while back from SGAmmo when I was ordering stuff and figured I wanted sort of a "cheap bulk hollowpoint" for the rifles. Tried it in my PTR9CT and it went fine. Other than a couple rounds of Winchester cheap 115gr right at the start, I haven't had an issue. Even the Win runs fine now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Try the flat nosed subsonic rounds. I have seen on  arfcom where people sometimes have trouble with those on the mp5 platform.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#17]
$1800? or are you finding them cheaper somewhere?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
1690 at Atlantic when they're in stock.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top